Surya kumar Yadav is a national treasure

7 hours ago, Vijy said:

no, there are quite a few bad ones. from the ones I recall with 20+ ODIs, there was W Raman (tuk tuk hacker), praveen amre (good test player, but bad for ODIs), G vishwanath (v. good test player, but bad for ODIs), etc. SKY's ODI record is oddly like uthappa (who has slightly higher avg, but lower SR).

As it stands, he is not even yusuf pathan or afridi level, both of whom scored faster at least (yusuf also had higher avg)

Yes, there could be a few examples as u hv cited.   But those players are mostly of 1980s and 90s.    Cricket used to be a little different those days.  It was tougher to score runs as there was no concept of powerplay, field restrictions etc and the quality of the opposition bowlers used to be much better.  An avg of 20 those days would probably be equivalent to 28 or 30 of present era.   Moreover, bcci was not rich enough those days to be able to provide the infra and facilities it has been providing now.   

8 hours ago, Vijy said:

no, there are quite a few bad ones. from the ones I recall with 20+ ODIs, there was W Raman (tuk tuk hacker), praveen amre (good test player, but bad for ODIs), G vishwanath (v. good test player, but bad for ODIs), etc. SKY's ODI record is oddly like uthappa (who has slightly higher avg, but lower SR).

As it stands, he is not even yusuf pathan or afridi level, both of whom scored faster at least (yusuf also had higher avg)

During Vishy's time ODIs weren't taken that seriously. Remember he debuted before Sunny and retired in 1982!!!! Sunny improved his record only post 1983 WC.

Raman was not a hacker. Scored a match winning 100 opening the batting (!!!!) in the 1992 series in RSA, against peak Donald and Fanie. Even someone like Sachin didn't score any 100 in those conditions in the 90s, much less a match-winning one.

Can't compare SKY with others, he has easily been the worst, till now. 

10 hours ago, Gollum said:

During Vishy's time ODIs weren't taken that seriously. Remember he debuted before Sunny and retired in 1982!!!! Sunny improved his record only post 1983 WC.

Raman was not a hacker. Scored a match winning 100 opening the batting (!!!!) in the 1992 series in RSA, against peak Donald and Fanie. Even someone like Sachin didn't score any 100 in those conditions in the 90s, much less a match-winning one.

Can't compare SKY with others, he has easily been the worst, till now. 

I agree it is unfair to put Vishy there, but Raman should totally be there. he had one fluke innings, the kind that sometimes even tailenders can play. barring that, he did nothing.

10 hours ago, Gollum said:

But many posters on ICF were confidently saying that SKY is a much better option than Shreyas Iyer for a home WC because of his SR (almost same as Iyer:phehe:).....

we need Iyer for sure in SC. much as I hate to admit it, even kela would be a good fit in middle order, except for KO high-pressure matches

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

But many posters on ICF were confidently saying that SKY is a much better option than Shreyas Iyer for a home WC because of his SR (almost same as Iyer:phehe:).....

I still believe he can be the finisher we need. Pandya has become accumulator now.

Iyer ofcourse walks in. Won't be troubled with short stuff on Indian pitches

2 hours ago, Vijy said:

we need Iyer for sure in SC. much as I hate to admit it, even kela would be a good fit in middle order, except for KO high-pressure matches

Won't ever trust Kela. Would rather take a punt on Samson/Kishan.

1 minute ago, Frustrated said:

This kind of inning goes missing in KO games of multi nation tournaments. (Incl.asia cup and WC).  One good inning against a minnow level windies side which did not even qualify for t20 WC 2022 does not mean much.  That too in a bilateral.   

Tbh his innings in that WC game we lost against Saf was clutch and in a very difficult situation. 

1 minute ago, Frustrated said:

Yes.  It was.   But that was not a KO game.   

His failures can be coincidental given the nature of how he bats. Even at Adelaide oval he backed himself to clear the short off side boundary against the googly of Adil Rashid. Miscalculated. I can live with that compared to t he batsmen who were literally shaking in their boots while facing 130k thunderbolts from injury return Shaheen Afridi.

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

King of soft and useless runs. Forget WC KOs against Eng/Aus/NZ/Pak, I doubt he can fire in an Asia cup must-win game against Afg/BD. How many mental midgets can a squad possibly carry?

Yep. Not good for KOs. He will get KOd instead.