Women Premier League Discussion thread - Mar 04-26, 2023 (Live on Sports 18 & Jio Cinema)

The negativity on this thread towards the Indian women in WPL is remarkable. Here is my INR 0.02:

Context: My MIL is a huge cricket fan and watches the WPL intently. I watch a bit here and there, So, my observations are not comprehensive.

There are quite a few bright spots for Indian women in the WPL.  Smriti Mandhana is excused due to the RCB curse.

HMPK - Brilliant performances so far, and is the biggest reason MI is killing it.

Shafali Verma - Highest number of 6s.  So much for the notion that Indians can't power-hit. She is just 20 y.o. but packs a punch and is a rising star.

Harleen Deol - this young lady is not only batting decently, but lights it up on the field like no other.  The other day, she took a brilliant catch and topped that off with an absolutely stunning direct-hit from the rope. And who can forget *that* catch from about a year ago (BBL, I think)?  She can school our men on how to field.

Bonus observation:  I don't know if Maanzrekar is in the commentary box, but there is a guy who sounds just like him and is awful.  "Arundhati Reddy is really ready today."  No stats, no preparation, nothing.  Anjum Chopra is so much more knowledgeable and articulate - she rattled off one of the players' stats in domestic cricket and all that "Maanz" could say was "Wow you know a lot about her" or something to that effect.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict
3 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

The negativity on this thread towards the Indian women in WPL is remarkable. Here is my INR 0.02:

Context: My MIL is a huge cricket fan and watches the WPL intently. I watch a bit here and there, So, my observations are not comprehensive.

There are quite a few bright spots for Indian women in the WPL.  Smriti Mandhana is excused due to the RCB curse.

HMPK - Brilliant performances so far, and is the biggest reason MI is killing it.

Shafali Verma - Highest number of 6s.  So much for the notion that Indians can't power-hit. She is just 20 y.o. but packs a punch and is a rising star.

Harleen Deol - this young lady is not only batting decently, but lights it up on the field like no other.  The other day, she took a brilliant catch and topped that off with an absolutely stunning direct-hit from the rope. And who can forget *that* catch from about a year ago (BBL, I think)?  She can school our men on how to field.

Bonus observation:  I don't know if Maanzrekar is in the commentary box, but there is a guy who sounds just like him and is awful.  "Arundhati Reddy is really ready today."  No stats, no preparation, nothing.  Anjum Chopra is so much more knowledgeable and articulate - she rattled off one of the players' stats in domestic cricket and all that "Maanz" could say was "Wow you know a lot about her" or something to that effect.

ANy chance it is WV Raman. But he doesn't sound like him though.

3 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Radha Yadav,Jemimah and Deol are better fielders than many of our boys

37 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

ANy chance it is WV Raman. But he doesn't sound like him though.

It was Raman he was okay because he knew a bit about the women , not as much as he should have being the women's coach . They seem to do 3 days at a time 

Yes it is Mandraker and he is hopeless . Much better women commentators  going about and some one like Nasser who is really into commentating on women's cricket . 

4 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Good post. Agree with most things. 

Except I am not convinced by Harleen's T20 batting at all. She plays too selfishly and plays plenty of dots. She's a great fielder though, probably 2nd best Indian fielder after Jadeja lol. But her T20 batting isn't International material yet. 

20 hours ago, Lord said:

Radha Yadav,Jemimah and Deol are better fielders than many of our boys

Harmanpreet Kaur is the best all round Indian fielder . Watched every ball of every game and she has been immaculate in her fielding . Cleanly stopped everything in the covers  all tournament, fielding is just not the odd spectacular boundary catch , those you mention have all made quite a few errors in the field . 

Today's fielding and catching in today's Indians v Warriors by Indian women  has been embarrassing  

3 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

Harmanpreet Kaur is the best all round Indian fielder . Watched every ball of every game and she has been immaculate in her fielding . Cleanly stopped everything in the covers  all tournament, fielding is just not the odd spectacular boundary catch , those you mention have all made quite a few errors in the field . 

Today's fielding and catching in today's Indians v Warriors by Indian women  has been embarrassing  

Radha Yadav is definitely more than odd catch here and there

On 3/18/2023 at 1:56 PM, vvvslaxman said:

RCB has pulled off an incredible chase Chasing 188 reached the t arget in 15.2 overs

Sophie Devine  99 in 36 balls  Smriti and Sophie added 125 runs for the first wicket. Mandana 35 in 31. 

clear hierarchy in WPL barring a few exceptions: Foreign players >> Ind int'l players > foreign non-int'l players >> indian domestic players

Edited by Vijy
8 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Dhayalan Hemalatha? Never heard of her. 57 in 33 balls. 3 sixes. Added 93 with Ash Gardner in 10 overs

My heroine!!!  Deepti did her usual non release of the ball and next ball Hemalatha walked away , only wish she had done it 3 times in row. 

High time batters did it to this continual nonsense of Sharma .  

1 hour ago, Strangering said:

I had heard a lot about Smriti Mandhana. She's looked pedestrian at best here. I get loss of form but she has lacked basics against mediocre spin. 

Badly exposed against spin in this tourney. She had her issues even before but this is like Iyer against short ball level vulnerable.