MiG-21 crashes in Rajasthan; 2 civilians killed

khadekhademaaro

A MiG-21 fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force crashed during a routine training sortie in Hanumangarh district of Rajasthan on Monday, leaving at least two civilians dead and as many injured on the ground, police said.

In a statement, the IAF said the pilot of the aircraft sustained minor injuries.

Bikaner Inspector General of Police Om Prakash said two people have died and as many injured in the plane crash in Pilibanga area of Hanumangarh district.

The pilot made all efforts to avert human casualties and crash-landed the plane on the outskirts of a village, Prakash said.

2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

India should be ashamed of having Mig 21 still operational while Paxtan should be ashamed of getting their F16 shot by a grandpa air craft. 

Both Air forces are comical in their own way. 

Blame congress for mig 21 being still operational. It takes a bit longer to replace an aging fleet. We do have Rafale and Tejas but manufacturing and inductIon will take time. AK Anthony delayed it he mentioned india has no money for MMRCA.

Edited by gattaca

16 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Blame congress for mig 21 being still operational. It takes a bit longer to replace an aging fleet. We do have Rafale and Tejas but manufacturing and inductIon will take time. AK Anthony delayed it he mentioned india has no money for MMRCA.

Rafale was supposed to fill the gap.  26 jets won't cut it.  UPA had planned bigger acquisition I guess.  There were talks of buying some spare Mirages as well. 

Regime change messes up big deals sometimes. 

Right now IAF is spread thin. Barely 30 functioning squadrons.  Both GOI (Cong + BJP)  & IAF are equally responsible for this mess. 

AMCA is nowhere to be seen. 

1 hour ago, gattaca said:

who should be blamed for making these planes fly after 2014. Dont they love air force officers?

20 hours ago, khadekhademaaro said:

who should be blamed for making these planes fly after 2014. Dont they love air force officers?

Aircraft manufacturing takes long time at least the current govt allocated funds for procurement. The previous govt didn’t even allocate that. We only got 2 squadrons inducted from till now. 2030 they will have 30 -35 squadrons. In the meantime unfortunately we will be lagging. Covid and Supply chain delays also play in the delays. But the initiative was under congress we could have had jump start if they had approved funding.

2 hours ago, gattaca said:

Aircraft manufacturing takes long time at least the current govt allocated funds for procurement. The previous govt didn’t even allocate that. We only got 2 squadrons inducted from till now. 2030 they will have 30 -35 squadrons. In the meantime unfortunately we will be lagging. Covid and Supply chain delays also play in the delays. But the initiative was under congress we could have had jump start if they had approved funding.

All that is fine but if you know machines are faulty why send our pilots into it. Would you do it?

32 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

All this Mig-21 debacle has happened due to delay of Tejas.
Tejas-1 was supposed to replace Mig-21 while tejas-2 was supposed to replace Miraz-2000.
We still have close to 4 squadrons of Mig-21 in IAF...that's around 60-70 aircrafts.

Can anyone tell me why is there SO much delay in making the Tejas? A plane half the size of the Rafale- if the Gov is serious about being prepared for a two front threat they need to up the ante to make sure the productions are sped up. Its a joke that we are still using a 60s era plane despite losing many to crashes.

17 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Can anyone tell me why is there SO much delay in making the Tejas? A plane half the size of the Rafale- if the Gov is serious about being prepared for a two front threat they need to up the ante to make sure the productions are sped up. Its a joke that we are still using a 60s era plane despite losing many to crashes.

There were multiple reasons, one highlighted in bold....many times the funding for this development was paused/slowed down.
AFAIK, they initially thought to procure the engine from Russia in 1990's, but Russia succumb due to US pressure (due to our Nuclear test). Then it was decided in 1999 to develop the "home developed" engine. 
There were some pages of disagreement between HAL and IAF on multiple technical aspects...it all caused delay.

3 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Were you born and raised in the UK? 

15 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

and that is relevant to the discussion how?

The way you referred to India as we. 

This is part of the reason why people won't trust the likes of Rishi Sunak. 

Your loyalty is to India not the country of your birth which has raised and nurtured you. 

6 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Tejas has lot of growing pains if I remember correctly. They struggled a lot intially parts wise US didn’t trust india as well. We had to struggle for parts. They might be going more towards made in India now and importing few parts. Indian air force didn’t like the initial delivery they want lower weight for the aircraft for better maneuvers. There was back and forth it delayed Tejas as well.

10 minutes ago, gattaca said:

Tejas has lot of growing pains if I remember correctly. They struggled a lot intially parts wise US didn’t trust india as well. We had to struggle for parts. They might be going more towards made in India now and importing few parts. Indian air force didn’t like the initial delivery they want lower weight for the aircraft for better maneuvers. There was back and forth it delayed Tejas as well.

Kaveri engines (Turbojet engine capable of thrust vectoring ) is still not productized nor the phased array radar or the stealth material ... Quite a number of challenges still to solve with very limited budget & without an inspirational head like Kalam or Dhawan 

3 hours ago, Ranvir said:

The way you referred to India as we. 

This is part of the reason why people won't trust the likes of Rishi Sunak. 

Your loyalty is to India not the country of your birth which has raised and nurtured you. 

I wasn't born in the UK and also doesn't matter what people think- the UK allows dual citizenships by law that means and individual can have dual loyalties. I am loyal to my country of birth but will follow the rule of law of the country I live in and integrate without harming the indigenous population and imposing my culture on them; which cant be said of many other non white communities.

If you have nothing relevant to add in this thread so please refrain from commenting crap

3 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

I wasn't born in the UK and also doesn't matter what people think- the UK allows dual citizenships by law that means and individual can have dual loyalties. I am loyal to my country of birth but will follow the rule of law of the country I live in and integrate without harming the indigenous population and imposing my culture on them; which cant be said of many other non white communities.

If you have nothing relevant to add in this thread so please refrain from commenting crap

Your country of origin which you will never return to and I am free to post whatever I want to. 

On 5/8/2023 at 9:24 AM, Lone Wolf said:

India should be ashamed of having Mig 21 still operational while Paxtan should be ashamed of getting their F16 shot by a grandpa air craft. 

Both Air forces are comical in their own way. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-india-kashmir-pakistan-f16/u-s-count-shows-no-pakistan-f-16s-shot-down-in-indian-battle-report-idUSKCN1RH0IM