Steve Smith- the most clutch batsman in history?

9 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

what you said w.r.t  'accountability' might be true. That means these players  can shamelessly  hang on to their   positions as if  they are some government jobs and earn millions despite  under performing a lot for as long as they like. But  the pressure to maintain their ' reputations as performers' is always there.

no accountability can really remove most of the pressure. once a reputation is established early on, after that it is smooth sailing. whereas in Oz, barring punter, most players get shown the door quite fast after their performance declines substantially, implying that the pressure to perform (and be accountable) is always there

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

no accountability can really remove most of the pressure. once a reputation is established early on, after that it is smooth sailing. whereas in Oz, barring punter, most players get shown the door quite fast after their performance declines substantially, implying that the pressure to perform (and be accountable) is always there

This has to be said:

(1) Indian cricket team lacks performance-related accountability

(2) Ozzie cricket team lacks integrity-related accountability.

A serial cheater should be languishing in their FC system, no matter how great a player he is.  JMHO.

6 hours ago, Vijy said:

My message was specifically related to  Virat . What you said in response  is applicable to others like  pujara, rahane, rohit etc who are either  one dimensional wonders or   in a 'nothing to lose' sort of position  or both . But the case is different with Virat. He is widely regarded as  one of the elite  best batsman  of the current lot  if not  'the best'  by several analysts. So that pressure to maintain 'this reputation'  too is definitely there w.r.t him despite agreeing to the fact that his place  is  the most assured   in the team.

Edited by rtmohanlal
1 hour ago, rtmohanlal said:

My message was specifically related to  Virat . What you said in response  is applicable to others like  pujara, rahane, rohit etc who are either  one dimensional wonders or   in a 'nothing to lose' sort of position  or both . But the case is different with Virat. He is widely regarded as  one of the elite  best batsman  of the current lot  if not  'the best'  by several analysts. So that pressure to maintain 'this reputation'  too is definitely there w.r.t him despite agreeing to the fact that his place  is  the most assured   in the team.

virata doesn't feel this pressure you allude to as much as you claim he does. I agree he will have some pressure, but the bigger the star, the less is the accountability in india.

1 hour ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

This has to be said:

(1) Indian cricket team lacks performance-related accountability

(2) Ozzie cricket team lacks integrity-related accountability.

A serial cheater should be languishing in their FC system, no matter how great a player he is.  JMHO.

plenty of cheaters everywhere. it's not like he was the only ball tamperer and cheater around.

this thread is about his batting ability, not his other traits. you could always start a diff thread on that if you want

3 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I don't think people have forgotten in general. After all, most people who think of, say, Djokovic, recognize that he is an immense talent and great competitor, but also know his failings and lying

To be honest, Ponting and Smith evoke a visceral hatred in me like no other.  Hence the rants.  I know they are tangential, off-topic rants, but it is hard to stop doing it :-).

6 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

To be honest, Ponting and Smith evoke a visceral hatred in me like no other.  Hence the rants.  I know they are tangential, off-topic rants, but it is hard to stop doing it :-).

it should really be greg chappati at the head of the queue. also an ATG bat, and also a cheat --> underarm bowling is still infamous

12 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

LOL...

Smith actually came in front of the media, took responsibility and got banned with no celebrity send off by AUS media and board.

If he was in India or anywhere else in Asia, he would have denied any involvement, claimed his Critics as anti-national, and would have escaped any responsibility.

He was not even the one tampering the ball. Warner was the one who was more responsible along with the bowler.

He took the blame as he was the captain instead of throwing other people under the bus and escaping as there was no proof that he was involved.

The audacity of people like you judging others is pathetic. When Ashwin mankades or Kohli/Rohit prepare doctored spinning tracks in India for tests that end within 2 days, you are the first one celebrating.

In sport, players do whatever they can to get an edge that doesn't mean you loathe them personally.

If you met Smith in person you would be the first one to take a photo and smile but on a forum pretend to be an armchair quarterback.

7 hours ago, BlueBlood said:

LOL...

Smith actually came in front of the media, took responsibility and got banned with no celebrity send off by AUS media and board.

If he was in India or anywhere else in Asia, he would have denied any involvement, claimed his Critics as anti-national, and would have escaped any responsibility.

He was not even the one tampering the ball. Warner was the one who was more responsible along with the bowler.

He took the blame as he was the captain instead of throwing other people under the bus and escaping as there was no proof that he was involved.

The audacity of people like you judging others is pathetic. When Ashwin mankades or Kohli/Rohit prepare doctored spinning tracks in India for tests that end within 2 days, you are the first one celebrating.

In sport, players do whatever they can to get an edge that doesn't mean you loathe them personally.

If you met Smith in person you would be the first one to take a photo and smile but on a forum pretend to be an armchair quarterback.

Your post was starting to make a bit of sense until you brought up the Mankading and pitch issues, especially the former.  Mankading is well within the rules. It is not in the category of doing whatever you can to get an edge. It is making sure the other guy does not get an illegal edge by jumping the crease early. Clearly, it's the non-striker who is trying to cheat there. Once you condone that like you just did, you reveal your lack of regard for the rules of the game. As for pitches, if they are good enough for the ICC, they are good enough for me.  Others are welcome to learn to play on them.

Grudging respect for SPDS' batting, but he has proven to be a loathsome character.  Like Ponting and Langer before him.  And Greg Chappell before them.

My apologies to all for taking this thread on a tangent. Will stop here.

On 6/10/2023 at 12:31 AM, BlueBlood said:

LOL...

Great post. Smith is legend.