The Ashes 2023

zen

Ashes and Diamonds  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will triumph?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/07/2023 at 04:00 PM

9 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Ishant is a hole that we will struggle to fill in a while. That height, natural bounce, miserly bowling, great inswingers. When he combined with Bumrah and Shami they were complimenting each other well.  Siraj is not a fully developed seamer unfortunately. Going after glory ball every single ball and losing the plot.

Ishant took a long time and a lot of backing to become that bowler though. Credit has to be given to MSD for persevering with him and seeing something no one else did at the time when he was flattering to deceive. It's a simple matter of finding someone for a role and giving them the backing to fulfil it.

1 minute ago, rollingstoned said:

You can always expect an older team like Australia to suffer from a lack of freshness as a long series goes on. Woakes and Wood have swung it decisively in England's favor after they joined the squad while Lyon was a miss for Australia after he got injured.

Smith's form and Labu's form (bar that 100) also palyed a factory. They are their go to batsmen recent times.

1 minute ago, Lord said:

Ishant got injured right after that Lords 2014 spell lol. Otherwise Played within himself to avoid injury.

Also playing only one format helped.

Fitness comes first.  Bumrah had a fantastic career. But it is only 30 Tests. We have no replacement. His absence is still costing us. Bhuvi could have been useful in SA and England. He was never fit even with his trundling speeds. Shami in that regard someone i apprecaite despite poor record in England. Umesh is fit. But he is more suitable for Indian pitches where he can reverse

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

Fitness comes first.  Bumrah had a fantastic career. But it is only 30 Tests. We have no replacement. His absence is still costing us. Bhuvi could have been useful in SA and England. He was never fit even with his trundling speeds. Shami in that regard someone i apprecaite despite poor record in England. Umesh is fit. But he is more suitable for Indian pitches where he can reverse

yes reason these youngsters aren't being picked as they are very unreliable wrt fitness.

3 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

What a series...what great pitches...test cricket at its very best.

I just hope when England tour us next year for 5 test series, we give sporting wickets rather than taking short cuts. If we lose, so be it. I hate those 2 day test matches in India

England aren't good enough for that. Our bats do well.

14 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Injuries, weather, freak dismissals, bizarre decisions so many aspects decided the outcome rather than actual skills in this series.  Australia in my view was way below par. They are lucky to get away with 2-2.  I can't remember one good spell from Australia that sticks out. That Starc's spell briefly. Otherwise pathetic bowling. Got butchered a lot of times. 

Another delusional england fan? I know in your world england has whitewashed australia in australia right now but that's not the case. Ask any neutral person who had most luck in this series in terms of conditions & toss. England did play brave cricket but calling australia lucky is a joke lol. You must be watching other series. Anyways they cannot even retain ashes at home even after so much luck going in their favor and australia playing poor cricket. Australia has won probably won same number of matches in last one month which england has done in last 20 years or so away. Be ready for another whitewash 2 years later or even better be ready for whitewash on turners few months later.

Edited by Nikola
1 minute ago, Lord said:

yes reason these youngsters aren't being picked as they are very unreliable wrt fitness.

Crappy guys like Undakat are always fit. Good prospects are not fit enough. Catch-22. Siraj is only one guy as of now.  Siraj is closer to 30. HE should be selective and be servicable in Tests. He hasn't even fully evolved as a bowler. 

On 7/29/2023 at 11:49 PM, R!TTER said:

They only won because they chased it down quickly, also the Vihari drop, as the longer you stay there more chances of losing wickets! Oz won't get within 50 runs of this target.

Too many n00bs in here, fell short of 1 run because of shoddy Eng fielding :whack3:

4 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Australia lost by 49 runs. Not walloping like we received against Australia at the same ground

Conditions favored Oz & many of their players had lots of practice in the county before WTC, not their fault of course but Eng is not a "neutral" venue just as it wasn't against NZ either.

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Crappy guys like Undakat are always fit. Good prospects are not fit enough. Catch-22. Siraj is only one guy as of now.  Siraj is closer to 30. HE should be selective and be servicable in Tests. He hasn't even fully evolved as a bowler. 

He's better in ODIs. One of the best currently around the world.

6 minutes ago, Nikola said:

Another delusional england fan? I know in your world england has whitewashed australia in australia right now but that's not the case. Ask any neutral person who had most luck in this series in terms of conditions & toss. England did play brave cricket but calling australia lucky is a joke lol. You must be watching other series. Anyways they cannot even retain ashes at home even after so much luck going in their favor and australia playing poor cricket. Australia has won probably won same number of matches in last one month which england has done in last 20 years or so away. Be ready for another whitewash 2 years later.

YOu don't have to go ask any neutral. I am neutral enough to call what i say. When did i become an ENglish fan without me knowing lol  ONly fans i see here is temporary Aussie fans to diss England.  I hate both teams. I just appreciate individual performances when they play each other.

39 minutes ago, putrevus said:

The same bowlers lost test series in SA and last test in England and WTC finals.

The bowlers may have come up short a couple of times, but the batsmen come up short most of the time, you can bury your head in sand but it doesn't change the fact that our batting performance has been the worse of all top teams over the last 3 years, and our bowlers have been among the very best. 

If it wasn't for our bowlers and allrounders, we will be ranked 7. 

Just now, Sandz said:

The bowlers may have come up short a couple of times, but the batsmen come up short most of the time, you can bury your head in sand but it doesn't change the fact that our batting performance has been the worse of all top teams over the last 3 years, and our bowlers have been among the very best. 

If it wasn't for our bowlers and allrounders, we will be ranked 7. 

We sure didn't make back to back WTC finals because of batsmen. That is obvious.