France Burning - What are after effects ?

ravishingravi

2 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

Comparison to Manipur is weird....  There are legit terrorists killing people over there and even Army have to undergo a literal whole a** operation.  A million times more strict cufew has to be imposed. 

You should just stick to defending worthless PeeJeP & don't mock Manipur violence over here. 

Why weird? When the internet was suspended in Manipur - there were comments from experts like you stating that the govt didn't want the ppl of Manipur to know what was happening. 

Anyways moving this to the other thread to stop derailing this one. 

Edited by bharathh

Democracy should be about asking questions and discovering answers constantly, yet it has become acceptance and tolerating everything for diversity. That latter is fine if it is mutual, but that has never been the case.

It's same thing in India, where certain communities, political families, historical facts are taboo to be discussed.

1 hour ago, someone said:

Democracy should be about asking questions and discovering answers constantly, yet it has become acceptance and tolerating everything for diversity. That latter is fine if it is mutual, but that has never been the case.

It's same thing in India, where certain communities, political families, historical facts are taboo to be discussed.

I think the reason India despite being so diverse & not economically on par with these western countries when it comes to resources or stuff...  manages to stay united is maybe Coz we have been a non homogenous society since maybe few thousand years.  And have known the art to co exist. 

Even Britishers exploited this to the fullest in ever way.  And managed to rule such a hugely populated land. 

These western european countries have recently opened up to outsiders..  And classic invasive species thing is happening to them.  And it is going to be worse for them. 

The east Asian countries are even more conservative when it comes to outsiders & are highly racist bunch...  Coz they are extremely homogeneous cultures & they don't easily accept outsiders since centuries. 

Edited by Lone Wolf

You don't have to win, you just have to show them that theirs is not the only way to live. I've seen more "athiest" or neutral Muslims in the last few years than the 2 decades prior to that combined. Same goes for Hindus, admittedly there are a lot more extremists that seem to have emerged in the last few years but IMO the general trend is being less religious across the board in India, not more. Can't say about the West where it's all khule aam mauj masti - in that I also tend to find them to be bigger hypocrites than us (South Asians) in general.

@ravishingravi what to make of this?

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-france-protests-manila-post-office-743001120267

CLAIM: A video shows a major library in France burning during riots sparked by the killing of a teen by police.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. While the façade of a library in Marseille was reportedly vandalized during the unrest, the widely shared video shows the fiery destruction of a historic post office in the Philippines in May.

THE FACTS: Social media users are claiming a video shows a storied library in France set ablaze by rioters during the European nation’s unrest following the police killing of a 17-year-old.

Spokespersons for Manila’s Public Information Office, which provided the aerial footage to the AP, confirmed the video being widely shared showed the Central Post Office burning in May. Elodie Vincent, a spokesperson for France’s National Library, also confirmed in an email that the Parisian library was unharmed during the unrest.

3 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

@ravishingravi what to make of this?

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-france-protests-manila-post-office-743001120267

CLAIM: A video shows a major library in France burning during riots sparked by the killing of a teen by police.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. While the façade of a library in Marseille was reportedly vandalized during the unrest, the widely shared video shows the fiery destruction of a historic post office in the Philippines in May.

THE FACTS: Social media users are claiming a video shows a storied library in France set ablaze by rioters during the European nation’s unrest following the police killing of a 17-year-old.

Spokespersons for Manila’s Public Information Office, which provided the aerial footage to the AP, confirmed the video being widely shared showed the Central Post Office burning in May. Elodie Vincent, a spokesperson for France’s National Library, also confirmed in an email that the Parisian library was unharmed during the unrest.

So I was mentioning about the library in marseille. I cannot confirm for this one in Paris. 

7 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

So I was mentioning about the library in marseille. I cannot confirm for this one in Paris. 

SM is getting everything mixed. From what I am reading, the library in Marseille was defaced, but not totally burned down. The Phiippine post office picture is being used to spread falsehood that the Marseilles library was burned down, and in other cases that the Paris library was also burned down. It's just crazy.

Jonathan Swift Quote: "Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after ...

16 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

SM is getting everything mixed. From what I am reading, the library in Marseille was defaced, but not totally burned down. The Phiippine post office picture is being used to spread falsehood that the Marseilles library was burned down, and in other cases that the Paris library was also burned down. It's just crazy.

Jonathan Swift Quote: "Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after ...

It's a four floor library. Entrance on ground floor was broken and fire was set in the reception impacting the first and second. Doesn't change the story in my view. Defaced or damaged or burnt down. It was done. It's pretty clear who did it and why they are / were doing it. 

10 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

It's a four floor library. Entrance on ground floor was broken and fire was set in the reception impacting the first and second. Doesn't change the story in my view. Defaced or damaged or burnt down. It was done. It's pretty clear who did it and why they are / were doing it. 

Point taken. My point is that there is enough to condemn in reality; why should people on SM exaggerate and make things worse than they seems?  It fuels even more mutual hatred and divisiveness when visuals of completely burned down buildings are shown and they are from half a world away. Very few people will think before sharing and they just go viral - enough to confirm pre-existing biases. 

To me, each incident is independent and must be proven independently.

In all of this, a 17-yr old boy was killed and has been forgotten by everyone and is being used by "his community" as an excuse for violence.

6 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Point taken. My point is that there is enough to condemn in reality; why should people on SM exaggerate and make things worse than they seems?  It fuels even more mutual hatred and divisiveness when visuals of completely burned down buildings are shown and they are from half a world away. Very few people will think before sharing and they just go viral - enough to confirm pre-existing biases. 

To me, each incident is independent and must be proven independently.

In all of this, a 17-yr old boy was killed and has been forgotten by everyone and is being used by "his community" as an excuse for violence.

Understood. Interestingly no one has followed what has happened next and what's happening now. Govt has passed some of the most draconian in history of any so called democracy. They now have unlimited rights to tap your phone or track your social media posts or call you for questioning. If it was India, there would have been Opeds on the growing fascism. 

Since I did witness one of the showdowns, I was stunned by lack of pro active response by the police. Maybe conspiracy, part of me thinks that French govt let the riots go longer to pass these tough laws that would have otherwise been metted with protests. It also takes the heat off Macron. 

Now the french are pretty much on the same page. They are cantankerous lot with checkered history but they love the republique. 

On 7/2/2023 at 5:05 AM, ravishingravi said:

Honestly you won't find trouble. Especially Nice which is a tourist destination. 

On larger point, I feel years of stability and economic prosperity have made the European white dudes not just complacent but tranquilized. They have no idea what is hitting them. Leftist university politics and mainstream media combined with political correctness has really boxed them. They cannot say the obvious. This threshold is on verge of breaking as country moves further and further to the right. 

So. For the moment not dirty looks. Although I do get profiled as potential arsonist in Marseille. But that's fine. I don't blame them. At some point I believe this veneer of accomodation will end. Probably tough for those looking for a stable life out of their destabilized countries. My sense of assurance comes from strength and opportunities that India offers now. 

aye, that is quite true. but you should keep a close eye on developments. I think when the fabrics unravel, they will do so swiftly