Gukesh wins World Chess Candidates 2024. Becomes youngest ever contender for World Chess Championship crown.

rangeelaraja

6 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

I dare you to predict that Pragg will win the final and be right. :agree:

rapid will again be praggs best chances imo.. the rest factor plus the factor of good head to head record for pragg in rapid ...so we should be happy if he first makes draws in the classical games.

On 1/26/2024 at 5:13 PM, Tillu said:

Ravichandran Ashwins profile on chess.com

spacer.png

Yuzi Chahal is rated higher. Around 1700. Not sure about the time format though.

Direct correlation between bowling skills and chess skills?

Edited by Mariyam

2 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Yuzi Chahal is rated higher. Around 1700. Not sure about the time format though.

Direct correlation between bowling skills and chess skills?

"The ability to play chess is the sign of a gentleman. The ability to play chess well is the sign of a wasted life" is a famous witty quote by Paul Morphy.

So, I am wasting life playing blitz ( 3+0 time control)on this profile (named it Indiancricketfans) from few months...(on my real name profile, having 2100 peak in blitz and 2250 peak on rapid 10+0)

https://lichess.org/@/IndianCricketFans

On 2/4/2024 at 12:02 PM, randomGuy said:

"The ability to play chess is the sign of a gentleman. The ability to play chess well is the sign of a wasted life" is a famous witty quote by Paul Morphy.

So, I am wasting life playing blitz ( 3+0 time control)on this profile (named it Indiancricketfans) from few months...(on my real name profile, having 2100 peak in blitz and 2250 peak on rapid 10+0)

https://lichess.org/@/IndianCricketFans

I had peaked at 2005 on Lichess, 5+0 time control. But it was a shortly lived peak.

Given that I can't get into the gentleman's club, its a sign of a wasted life then. :(( 

6 hours ago, Mariyam said:

I had peaked at 2005 on Lichess, 5+0 time control. But it was a shortly lived peak.

Given that I can't get into the gentleman's club, its a sign of a wasted life then. :(( 

The website give you exactly how many days and hours of your life you wasted....for ex it shows i spent 8+ days playing since I made the profile on 27th sept 2023....comes to arnd 95 mins daily.

Been some incredible games in the Candidates so far. You can see the players taking risks to catch up to the leaders and producing so many new lines and trying to force results. 

Pragg has come in with some great preparation, probably the best of anyone and it shows. The way he has bounced back since that loss to Gukesh with white pieces (should have beaten Nepo which was a stunning game tbf) shows how well prepared he came in. 

Gukesh is probably the only one who has cashed in on every opportunity and his lead is well deserved for that. 

21 hours ago, Vickydev said:

Been some incredible games in the Candidates so far. You can see the players taking risks to catch up to the leaders and producing so many new lines and trying to force results. 

Pragg has come in with some great preparation, probably the best of anyone and it shows. The way he has bounced back since that loss to Gukesh with white pieces (should have beaten Nepo which was a stunning game tbf) shows how well prepared he came in. 

Gukesh is probably the only one who has cashed in on every opportunity and his lead is well deserved for that. 

We are exactly half way through. 7 out of 14 games done. Nepo sole leader 4.5/7, gukesh, pragg at 4 and vidit 3.5. vidit beat hikaru and ali reza, lost to pragg and Nepo.

Think about this scenario....there is only one Indian (Say A) who has got the shot at the top spot, he plays in a must win game against another Indian(say B) in the last round, would this other Indian (B) be tempted to lose on purpose so that A gets to win the candidates. This could be an actual scenario next week.

1 hour ago, randomGuy said:

We are exactly half way through. 7 out of 14 games done. Nepo sole leader 4.5/7, gukesh, pragg at 4 and vidit 3.5. vidit beat hikaru and ali reza, lost to pragg and Nepo.

Think about this scenario....there is only one Indian (Say A) who has got the shot at the top spot, he plays in a must win game against another Indian(say B) in the last round, would this other Indian (B) be tempted to lose on purpose so that A gets to win the candidates. This could be an actual scenario next week.

I think they work around it by having players from same countries play each other first. So in the 2nd half Vidit, Pragg and Gukesh should play each other in the first 3 rounds

25 minutes ago, Vickydev said:

I think they work around it by having players from same countries play each other first. So in the 2nd half Vidit, Pragg and Gukesh should play each other in the first 3 rounds

Right, I was looking for schedule but I don't think it is available except for the next round (round 8).  2 of the Indians are playing each other in next round 

On 4/12/2024 at 9:33 AM, randomGuy said:

They are representing themselves - not their country. Why would anyone throw a game? 

Hope Caruana wins, strongest player to never win a WCC. Ding has cheapened the world champion's status, Nepo is no better. Caruana deserves it the most, sad that Aronian never played a title match because of his choking habit. Alireza, Pragg, Gukesh have plenty of years ahead of them to prove their credentials, so not too invested in them. Remaining players, even if one of them wins, it is as good as giving Ding a walkover which he doesn't deserve, heck he didn't deserve to qualify for Candidates last time but the Chinese federation bent rules to push him. 

Anyway this tournament hasn't been the same since Carlsen's decision to walk away.

Edited by Gollum

1 hour ago, bharathh said:

They are representing themselves - not their country. Why would anyone throw a game? 

Russians have been suspected of doing that in the past, wouldn't put it past Chinese as well, individuality is suppressed by communist regimes and dictatorships. That's why players of same country play each other first up. 

Have stopped following chess for almost 2 years now because of time constraints. And these timings are awful, nevertheless great to see 5 Indians being represented in men+women. Even if none of the Indians wins, this is a stellar achievement and each of them must be honored by GOI. IIRC only Humpy has been given a Padma Shri among these 5, she has also had a long career. 

• The title was changed to Gukesh wins World Chess Candidates 2024. Becomes youngest ever contender for World Chess Championship crown.