Gukesh wins World Chess Candidates 2024. Becomes youngest ever contender for World Chess Championship crown.

rangeelaraja

8 hours ago, Gollum said:

Hope Caruana wins, strongest player to never win a WCC. Ding has cheapened the world champion's status, Nepo is no better. Caruana deserves it the most, sad that Aronian never played a title match because of his choking habit. Alireza, Pragg, Gukesh have plenty of years ahead of them to prove their credentials, so not too invested in them. Remaining players, even if one of them wins, it is as good as giving Ding a walkover which he doesn't deserve, heck he didn't deserve to qualify for Candidates last time but the Chinese federation bent rules to push him. 

Anyway this tournament hasn't been the same since Carlsen's decision to walk away.

No love for Vidit @Gollum! You haven't even mentioned him.

Don't rate him much for this tournament?

I would like Prag or Gukesh to win the candidates and then go on to be WC.

The only non Indian I'd support is Firouzja.

57 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

No love for Vidit @Gollum! You haven't even mentioned him.

Don't rate him much for this tournament?

I would like Prag or Gukesh to win the candidates and then go on to be WC.

The only non Indian I'd support is Firouzja.

I don't want an easy opponent for Ding, him becoming world champion has been one of the worst things for chess, he has also been so inactive the last 2 years. I didn't mention Nakamura also because I don't remember him having a good record against Ding. 

I think Indian kids and Firouzja can wait for their time, too early imo. I have a soft corner for perennial bridesmaids like Aronian and Caruana, so am rooting for Caruana this time. Him becoming WC will restore sone credibility to the title of world champion. Right now none of the others measure up remotely close to the past champions.

1 hour ago, Mariyam said:

chess.jpg

I got this chess board signed at the Olympiad near Chennai. How many of the players can you recognise? Includes some who are playing the current candidates.

Except India's 69th GM and Vishwa Vasna something, I can recognize all players. Even by face, except Cemil Can, familiar with that name but don't remember the face. Gukesh twice, why? And they look different.

What were you doing in the Olympiad?

1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Except India's 69th GM and Vishwa Vasna something, I can recognize all players. Even by face, except Cemil Can, familiar with that name but don't remember the face. Gukesh twice, why? And they look different.

What were you doing in the Olympiad?

Arre! I am a fan of chess. I am a fan of :isalute:. And I am a fan of Indian chess!

It's a funny story actually.

I was in Chennai, we were in the process of purchasing a manufacturing unit on the outskirts of the city. Our audit team and the sell side audit team had to reach a conclusion. Typically my dad also accompanies me to these meets, but lately his health hasn't been the best. And Chennai in August isn't really the nicest travel, weather wise.

The plant visit (mere formality), discussions on valuations and initial documentation/paper work on the contract were scheduled over 3 days. the two sets of auditors didn't see eye to eye, and the partner at the sell side audit team was, lets just say, very disagreeable.

All this was during the Olympiad. I was of course trying to follow as much as possible from the bylines and during meetings :embaressed_smile:. So on the third day, i "fell sick" and told my team to delay meetings by a day. I spent the entire day at the Olympiad. 

The funny part: The Partner from the sellers' audit firm was there too with his family. I was embarrassed. A woman in her 30s pulling these college kid stunts.

And I am a very ethical person generally. :triumph: At least at work.  Not my best moment. :(( 

But I shared a few words with the Partner, about our chess team and he was suddenly a lot more agreeable to our valuation. We reached some mid way number the next day in the meeting. 

On the 5th day I wanted to go for the Closing ceremony/last day can't remember of the  Olympiad but I was getting frantic messages from my husband on how much he missed me and loves me and all of that. That basically means he can't handle the kid we produced by himself. I had to go back :heartbreak:

I should have planned that trip better.

India's 69th GM is Harshit Raja.

Viswa Vasnawala  was in the girls team. I played a friendly game with her. I was rook and bishop and two connected pawns vs two rooks and a pawn and I lost. I need to work on my end game.

Gukesh's signature twice coz once in the morning before he beat Caruana, whom you crush over :lol:, and once after the game.

Cemil Can is a Turkish GM. He is shorter than I.

Edited by Mariyam

Nakamura has made some comeback seemingly from nowhere. In the hunt now totally

Dominant win for Gukesh too against Vidit to start the 2nd round and bring him back in joint lead. This is getting spicy

7 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Arre! I am a fan of chess. I am a fan of :isalute:. And I am a fan of Indian chess!

I was in Chennai, we were in the process of purchasing a manufacturing unit on the outskirts of the city. Our audit team and the sell side audit team had to reach a conclusion. Typically my dad also accompanies me to these meets, but lately his health hasn't been the best. And Chennai in August isn't really the nicest travel, weather wise.

The plant visit (mere formality), discussions on valuations and initial documentation/paper work on the contract were scheduled over 3 days. the two sets of auditors didn't see eye to eye, and the partner at the sell side audit team was, lets just say, very disagreeable.

All this was during the Olympiad. I was of course trying to follow as much as possible from the bylines and during meetings :embaressed_smile:. So on the third day, i "fell sick" and told my team to delay meetings by a day. I spent the entire day at the Olympiad. 

The funny part: The Partner from the sellers' audit firm was there too with his family. I was embarrassed. A woman in her 30s pulling these college kid stunts.

And I am a very ethical person generally. :triumph: At least at work.  Not my best moment. :(( 

But I shared a few words with the Partner, about our chess team and he was suddenly a lot more agreeable to our valuation. We reached some mid way number the next day in the meeting. 

On the 5th day I wanted to go for the Closing ceremony/last day can't remember of the  Olympiad but I was getting frantic messages from my husband on how much he missed me and loves me and all of that. That basically means he can't handle the kid we produced by himself. I had to go back :heartbreak:

Viswa Vasnawala  was in the girls team. I played a friendly game with her. I was rook and bishop and two connected pawns vs two rooks and a pawn and I lost. I need to work on my end game.

Gukesh's signature twice coz once in the morning before he beat Caruana, whom you crush over :lol:, and once after the game.

Lovely stuff...

Just so you know I have bookmarked this. Can't have professional women in their 30s(Nice of you to slip that in) running riot like this. No Ma'am

1 hour ago, Vickydev said:

Nakamura has made some comeback seemingly from nowhere. In the hunt now totally

Dominant win for Gukesh too against Vidit to start the 2nd round and bring him back in joint lead. This is getting spicy

Does it for Vidit, I guess. 

Don't see him winning this tournament now.

3 hours ago, Vickydev said:

Lovely stuff...

Just so you know I have bookmarked this. Can't have professional women in their 30s(Nice of you to slip that in) running riot like this. No Ma'am

I think @Mariyam loves chess more than Bollywood/SRK, IPL/Dhoni/MI, dance etc....this is next level craze. 

Or may be she is a secret (at least for ICF) chess mom training her kid to be next World Champ, after few years we may know that as Sagar Shah features her on Chessbase India.

17 yo Gukesh leads the field jointly with nepo. What a talent!! I think pragg is more clutch than Guki, but Guki is all class...

I remember studying his king's Indian attack games with white to incorporate some of his play into mine, probably when he was 15...

Pretty neck to neck in the standings. Don't know much about Chess - but pretty interesting to see how this works.

Btw what is the world championship and how is it different from this tournament and its finale? 

24 minutes ago, bharathh said:

Pretty neck to neck in the standings. Don't know much about Chess - but pretty interesting to see how this works.

Btw what is the world championship and how is it different from this tournament and its finale? 

The Candidates is a double round robin among the challengers (best of the rest qualified through different tournaments) to decide who can compete for the World title against the defending champ. 

The World Championship is basically 1v1 between the current World Championship and the winner of the Candidates. The match in itself is 14 games of Classical chess, followed by Rapid and blitz games in case of a tie

Posted (edited)

Vidit has improved by leaps and bounds in his preparation and has won 3 games - just like Gukesh. But he has always had this inconsistency about him.

R. Pragg - he is very solid. He will rarely have a terrible tournament -  but has not shown the ability to get into a winning spree, which is sometimes required in candidates like tournaments.

8.5 /14 ( which is +3 ) has been a winning score in most of the Candidates over the last decade. 

Only once Nepo has achieved a crushing score of 9.5/14.

Gukesh has more ambition than R Pragg ( as Vishy himself said ) and can get into a hot winning spree.

I also think Gukesh has a better chance ( if he is playing like the Chennai Olympiad ) of beating Ding Liren for the World Championship.

Unsurprisingly, Magnus Carlsen's predictions for the Candidates have been a big flop.  He predicted a terrible tournament for Gukesh, and thought Caruana and Nakamura would dominate. The exact opposite has happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0gYaXRq3SM&t=418s

Fingers crossed for our boys. 

Edited by rangeelaraja

On 4/13/2024 at 2:11 PM, Mariyam said:

Very interesting story, I wonder if your and the sell side auditors were both from Big 4.

From my 12+ year experience Big 4 auditing practices in India are terrible ( by and large ).  Would always recruit a local well known auditor for auditing/valuation services - regardless of what side of the deal I am recruiting for.

7 hours ago, Vickydev said:

Vidit is having one chaotic tournament, beats Nakamura again. 

Funniest comment I read on this "Hikaru is vidit's son" :cantstop: I think this comment was because hikaru kept 'adopting' many a player on his stream in speed chess ...

trash talk is the best thing about bullet...

Edited by randomGuy

38 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Funniest comment I read on this "Hikaru is vidit's son" :cantstop: I think this comment was because hikaru kept 'adopting' many a player on his stream in speed chess ...

trash talk is the best thing about bullet...

Agree..Chess has insane banter. Even the greatest player in the sport doesn't mind rubbing it in during games

10 hours ago, rangeelaraja said:

Very interesting story, I wonder if your and the sell side auditors were both from Big 4.

From my 12+ year experience Big 4 auditing practices in India are terrible ( by and large ).  Would always recruit a local well known auditor for auditing/valuation services - regardless of what side of the deal I am recruiting for.

Ours was from the big 4. The sell side had hired a local auditor with a history of audits in this specific vertical.

• The title was changed to Gukesh wins World Chess Candidates 2024. Becomes youngest ever contender for World Chess Championship crown.