Is the Indian team of 2023 World Cup their best bowling attack ever?

Majestic

5 minutes ago, putrevus said:

So Bumrah whose avg is 48 and Pandya whose average is 71 are fine?? 

Fast bowlers who were supposed to be leading India in knock in 2019 semis .Bhuvi got cheap wickets at end could not do anything with new ball and Bumrah after his inital wicket could not take any wicket.

Kedar Jadhav is the best according to that stat.

16 minutes ago, Lord said:

Kedar Jadhav is the best according to that stat.

Those are just relative numbers, I had to lower the threshold after removing WT20, I've never supported Bhukhe or Mohit Sharma ever in any LO game at home or away in the last 5+ years. Kja was a possible alternative against NZ given the type of pitch but we really needed Shami there & ideally Dhawan as well.

2 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

We didn't ape SENA in anything. What did we ape?We would have lost the recent WTC final anyway because their bowling attack in particular was quicker, more accurate and more varied. Let's not even get started on the batting. 

The fact that we haven't developed a part time spinner is our own fault.

But that doesn't mean you end up playing a guy who can neither take enough wickets or hit a long ball at a crucial place like XI

You have declared that we would have lost WTC finals so no introspection needed.

You focus a lot on data and i like that but that also means we gotta look at reality as it is.

We may or may not have won the WTC but aping SENA ensured we never gave ourselves a chance.

Coming to part timers..

If we havent developed one...does that mean we have to pick one for zabardasti and hope they do well?

As for spinners...they have to prove themselves to be in WC XI.

Sometiems its about how a player fits the role as opposed to how good or bad he is in vaccuum.

Eg - the role of Shivam Dube in CSK middle order to bash spin even tho he has a gazzilion weaknesses.

Edited by sensible-indian
2 hours ago, Lord said:

If Iyer isn't there, ask Kohli to bat at 4 and include Jaiswal (will give some overs too)

If Iyer is there, straight up ask him to roll his arm over for 3-4 overs if needed. He was very bad when he bowled in SA

Damn. These are just awful options.

Team xi is gonna be imbalanced no matter what.

If we pick 6 bowlers, batting is way too light.

If we pick 5 bowlers, all it takes is one off day for us to concede too much.

Tough decisions to be taken.

We surely cant afford passengers.

18 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Damn. These are just awful options.

Team xi is gonna be imbalanced no matter what.

If we pick 6 bowlers, batting is way too light.

If we pick 5 bowlers, all it takes is one off day for us to concede too much.

Tough decisions to be taken.

We surely cant afford passengers.

It's because of no planning. Batsmen who can bowl should have been encouraged. Rather reverse has happened

31 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

You have declared that we would have lost WTC finals so no introspection needed.

You focus a lot on data and i like that but that also means we gotta look at reality as it is.

We may or may not have won the WTC but aping SENA ensured we never gave ourselves a chance.

Coming to part timers..

If we havent developed one...does that mean we have to pick one for zabardasti and hope they do well?

As for spinners...they have to prove themselves to be in WC XI.

Sometiems its about how a player fits the role as opposed to how good or bad he is in vaccuum.

Eg - the role of Shivam Dube in CSK middle order to bash spin even tho he has a gazzilion weaknesses.

Dude, you are acting like adding Ashwin to that attack would have won the WTC.  

When you have non performers like Kohli and Pujara in that batting lineup, we will lose no matter what. 

Playing the extra pacer has never cost us a test match. Poor batting has. 

Harken back to 2021 and you were clamouring for Ashwin to play in the 2021 Test series vs England and I was supporting the 4 pacer strategy .

The only difference was that a few batsmen - KL, Rohit ,Pant etc turned up at various stages.

The Pacers were excellent in that series and Jadeja averaged 45 with the ball. 

And in the end even you admitted that the extra pacer was fine.. AFTER we won the series.

28 minutes ago, Lord said:

It's because of no planning. Batsmen who can bowl should have been encouraged. Rather reverse has happened

That is nonesense planning is there but players are not there, there was planning in 2019 too. Middle order players who could bat have been missing for good part of decade.

If guy like Rayudu was penciled in at number 4 , no offense to him but he stinks.I was glad that he did not play 2019 world cup.

selectors only can select from the players in the pool.They cannot create players.

No one is stopping these batsmen from bowling, they are not just that good.

Edited by putrevus
33 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Dude, you are acting like adding Ashwin to that attack would have won the WTC.  

When you have non performers like Kohli and Pujara in that batting lineup, we will lose no matter what. 

Playing the extra pacer has never cost us a test match. Poor batting has. 

Harken back to 2021 and you were clamouring for Ashwin to play in the 2021 Test series vs England and I was supporting the 4 pacer strategy .

The only difference was that a few batsmen - KL, Rohit ,Pant etc turned up at various stages.

The Pacers were excellent in that series and Jadeja averaged 45 with the ball. 

And in the end even you admitted that the extra pacer was fine.. AFTER we won the series.

When did i say that 4 pacer strategy was fine?

After the series was won?

Which we never won btw.

I did say it has its merits (that too after 1st test) but blindly following it will have consequences.

You have confused me with someone else cos my viewpoint has been the same for years.

Btw, that 2021 series had one of the worst English batting lineup ever.

Our pacers were great but the bastmen were beyond horrible.

Gave us a false sense of hope.

We saw what happened in 2022 when the same attack couldnt defend 350 (btw i dont think Ashwin would have made any difference in that game tho).

I have repeatedly said that the 4 pacer attack will one day come to haunt us and it did.

Every single expert said that WTC finals was a blunder but you dont want to admit that you got it wrong so you are saying Ashwin wouldnt have made any difference.

Btw, the reason we won BGT 2020 was because of our 2 spinners in 2 crucial games.

Had we went 4 pacers there, Gabba would have been a dead rubber.

Flexibility is the key.

---

Anyways coming back the thread topic...

We dont have good part timers so we gotta make do with what we have.

4 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

When did i say that 4 pacer strategy was fine?

After the series was won?

I did say it has its merits (that too after 1st test) but blindly following it will have consequences.

You have confused me with someone else cos my viewpoint has been the same across different forums.

Btw, that 2021 series had one of the worst English batting lineup ever.

Our pacers were great but the bastmen were beyond horrible.

Gave us a false sense of hope.

We saw what happened in 2022 when the same attack couldnt defend 350 (btw i dont think Ashwin would have made any difference in that game tho).

I have repeatedly said that the 4 pacer attack will one day come to haunt us and it did.

Every single expert said that WTC finals was a blunder but you dont want to admit that you got it wrong so you are saying Ashwin wouldnt have made any difference.

Btw, the reason we won BGT 2020 was because of our 2 spinners in 2 crucial games.

Had we went 4 pacers there, Gabba would have been a dead rubber.

Flexibility is the key.

Which so called expert said that. Did you even watch that match?  It was the 2022 season where the Dukes balls had gone to **** and the pitches were extremely flat. 

Despite that, none of the top 5 batsmen turned up. They all failed. Heck, even Bumrah was smashing sixes for fun. 

It's our batting that's failing. Not the pace bowling. 

Also, what did the so called spinner do on the last day when he was supposed to come into the game and help defend 378?

Any idea how many wickets he took? He took 0 wickets and you think we failed because we played the extra pacer?  Pacers are the only reaso ln we even had a 1st innings lead. 

The batting is the issue with this team. 

Over the last 3 years,

The only Indian batsmen to have averaged above 40 are Rohit, Pant and Shreyas.  Rohit was unavailable in that Test.

And Shreyas and Pant were absent in WTC final. 

It's a very mediocre batting lineup currently.

There is no evidence that the 4 pacer strategy has failed in SENA. 

13 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Which so called expert said that. Did you even watch that match?  It was the 2022 season where the Dukes balls had gone to **** and the pitches were extremely flat. 

Despite that, none of the top 5 batsmen turned up. They all failed. Heck, even Bumrah was smashing sixes for fun. 

It's our batting that's failing. Not the pace bowling. 

Also, what did the so called spinner do on the last day when he was supposed to come into the game and help defend 378?

Any idea how many wickets he took? He took 0 wickets and you think we failed because we played the extra pacer?  Pacers are the only reaso ln we even had a 1st innings lead. 

The batting is the issue with this team. 

Over the last 3 years,

The only Indian batsmen to have averaged above 40 are Rohit, Pant and Shreyas.  Rohit was unavailable in that Test.

And Shreyas and Pant were absent in WTC final. 

It's a very mediocre batting lineup currently.

There is no evidence that the 4 pacer strategy has failed in SENA. 

Im talking abotu WTC finals 2023 and you mention 2022 series...weird.

Every single expert said it for WTC finals 2023.

Which so called expert?

Gavaskar

Nasser hussain

Atherton

Bishop

All cricket experts on Twitter 

You have to find an expert who didnt call it a bad move.

You will ignore BGT series data.

You will ignore the fact that we lost WTC finals on day 1 itself (it was catch up after that).

You will ignore the fact that pitch changed after day 1 and i had mentioned it a gazzilions time before the game that you pick a xi for the entire 5 days.

You will ignore the fact that the pitch turned in 2nd innings and Jaddu got it to grip.

Younwill ignore the fact that in 2021, Jaddu was picked for his batting (to save our trimurtis) and not bowling and was used as a containing role...and he was not great with the ball at that time but you will use his lack of performance to pin the blame on Ashwin

You will ignore that Ashwin averaged 10-15 odd in WTC finals in 2021 just a few weeks back..that too on a pacer friendly pitch.

You will ignore that Ashwij was coming into WTC finals 2023 in great form.

You will ignore that our 2 BGT series wins were due to our spinners keeping things super tight (esp Ashwin who had 1.5 economy) and we could have fought better with a balanced lineup in WTC finals 2023.

Once you ignore all the data and pin the blame only the batsmen (which they are to blame no doubt)...of course there will be no evidence of 4 pacer template not working.

Btw...im not even saying 4 pacers dont work..of course they work...but blindly using it for every game may not work.

And data clearly suggests that.

Whether you are willling to accept or reject that data is upto you.

19 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Every single expert said it on WTC finals.

Which so called expert?

Gavaskar

Nasser hussain

Atherton

Bishop

All cricket experts on Twitter 

You have to find an expert who didnt call it a bad move.

You will ignore BGT series data.

You will ignore the fact that we lost WTC finals on day 1 itself (it was catch up after that).

You will ignore the fact that pitch changed after day 1 and i had mentioned it a gazzilions time before the game that you pick a xi for the entire 5 days.

You will ignore the fact that the pitch turned in 2nd innings and Jaddu got it to grip.

Younwill ignore the fact that in 2021, Jaddu was pucked for his batting and not bowling and was used as a containing role...and he was not great with the ball and use that to pin the blame on Ashwin

You will ognore that Ashwin averaged 10-15 odd in WTC finals in 2021 just a few weeks back..that too on a pacer friendly pitch.

You will ignore that Ashwij was coming into WTC finals 2022 in great form.

You will ignore that our 2 BGT series wins were due to our spinners keeping things super tight (esp Ashwin who had 1.5 economy) and we could have fought better with a balanced lineup in WTC finals 2023.

Once you ignore all the data and pin the blame only the batsmen (which they are to blame no doubt)...of course there willbe no evidence of 4 pacer template not working.

Btw...im not even saying 4 pacers dont work..of course they work...but blindly using it for every game may not work.

And data clearly suggests that.

Whether you are willling to accept or reject that data is upto you.

First of all, you brought WTC into the conversation when my original post was about white ball cricket. There was no need to sidetrack that conversation because Tests are completely different formats 

I said there is no evidence that taking the extra spinner works in ODIs.  Spinners have averaged 44 in India in this World Cycle. 

Since June 2015, when the new PP rules came into effect , look at the data for spinners and pacers in India/Australia/Pakistan/New Zealand/England/South Africa

when the top 6 sides have played each other. 

They all hit spin at the same rates as they hit pace. It's almost identical in some cases. 

But they lose wickets to pace much quicker and, hence, have lower averages against pace.

Hence, the extra pacer always works in ODIs.

The other top 6 sides are much more data driven than India is and none of them have taken the 3rd spinner/spin allrounder in the squad. 

You think teams like England don't do meticulous analysis before choosing their squads or developing players for conditions ?

Look at the above data. Even in Sri Lanka which is a notoriously spin-friendly venue, the top 10 wicket-taking threats are all frompacers. Then a wrist spinner.  Jadeja does not induce false shots anywhere near as often. That chart shows that Thakur induces 33% more false shots than our best finger spinner. And Thakur is selected more for his batting and is not that great a bowler in the first place - the weakest of our seamers.

The gap is even bigger in flat conditions like India and other top 6 countries.

Therefore, finger spinners have to contribute as a hitter down the order or we are better off playing a wicket-taking bowler instead of Jadeja at 7. 

But since we moan so much about batting depth and we are not getting that, I think it is better to play Pandya at 7 and play the extra batter and get 2-4 overs of part time spin. And play 3 quicks and Kuldeep Yadav.

Kuldeep + 3 quicks + Pandya will give us the best chance of taking wickets throughout the 50 overs and having the extra batter solidifies the middle order and gives real depth.

Your point that part-timers are not developed easily is, once again, false.  The likes of Travis Head and Glenn Phillips barely bowled until recently where they bowled much more than 4 overs and they finished with better figures than main bowlers.

Travis Head had only bowled 14 overs in ODI's in 5 years and suddenly bowled a full 10 over quota a few days back and you are saying that we can't develop a couple of guys to give 4 overs each from the squad we have even now?

That is absurd.

Regarding your point about Tests and WTC. That's a different format

Jadeja and Ashwin can take their time to bat and strike rates do not matter. Averages matter more regardless of what position you bat at.  Jadeja is a great Test all-rounder. Much as I bag him in LOI's , he's one of our greatest cricketers ever in that format and Cricviz regarded him as the greatest Test cricketer in post 2006 era. 

That BOG series was probably one of the few series in modern history where 2 finger spinners did well in SENA together and that too in Australia. 

Jaddu and Ashwin are exceptional Test cricketers . Very rare in modern Test cricket history and very clear outliers.

Just because they were successful does NOT negate 4 pacer theory at all.

Take just about any other random pair of spinners and see what they'll do in any random SENA series. It works because the individuals in question are exceptional Test spin all-rounders. Probably the best such duo in 50 years of Test cricket. 

Also, You  said that we lost WTC because we aped SENA. Where is your data to back that?   What data did Nasser, Sunny etc. provide on commentary to suggest that Ashwin would have made a difference?

They are broadcasters who like to drive discussions which are already in the popular discourse. Nasser, despite access to Cricviz, gets a 100 things wrong.

His stance on Bazball for instance keeps fluctuating like Bangalore weather.

We did not blindly ape anyone. It's  a strategy that has worked for us  in the past especially in 2021 when our pacers staemrolled England.  

The more reasonable arguments are actually about the batting which has failed. Also, that pitch was best for batting on days 1 and 2.  There was significant variable bounce afterwards, as noted by Cricviz which made batting much harder.

The Aussie pace attack was superior - more accurate, faster, higher and more varied release points which made it difficult to line up their bowlers - that means our pace attack was not good enough . Doesn't mean we lost due to a strategy we aped from SENA.

Edited by Nikhil_cric
28 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

First of all, you brought WTC into the conversation when my original post was about white ball cricket. There was no need to sidetrack that conversation because Tests are completely different formats 

I said there is no evidence that taking the extra spinner works in ODIs.  Spinners have averaged 44 in India in this World Cycle. 

Since June 2015, when the new PP rules came into effect , look at the data for spinners and pacers in India/Australia/Pakistan/New Zealand/England/South Africa

when the top 6 sides have played each other. 

They all hit spin at the same rates as they hit pace. It's almost identical in some cases. 

But they lose wickets to pace much quicker and, hence, have lower averages against pace.

Hence, the extra pacer always works in ODIs.

The other top 6 sides are much more data driven than India is and none of them have taken the 3rd spinner/spin allrounder in the squad. 

You think teams like England don't do meticulous analysis before choosing their squads or developing players for conditions ?

Nikhil bhai...all I said was we don't need to ape SENA cos we have different resources.

You asked me to elaborate, so I did and a discussion ensued.

Yes...lets move back to ODI.

I don't disagree with your point about pacers or us needing hard hitting spin AR.

Problem is we don't have them.

Reg 3 spinners in the squad...

First WC squad is not yet decided.

Second...the playing XI won't have all of them.

Third and most importantly...it's to test who is in form and who is not for the Aus series before decision is taken.

What I am saying is...

If a pitch spins...then 2 spinners are needed.

I am not sure about going with 4 pacers in the XI regardless of the pitch. Especially in India.

You seem to feel otherwise (data supports that pacers are better than spinners).

But since the WC is in India (flat pitches in India are a bit different from flatties in SENA), I have my reservations.

6 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Nikhil bhai...all I said was we don't need to ape SENA cos we have different resources.

I don't disagree with your point about pacers or us needing hard hitting spin AR.

Third and most importantly...it's to test who is in form and who is not for the Aus series before decision is taken.

What I am saying is...

I am not sure about going with 4 pacers in the XI regardless of the pitch. Especially in India.

You seem to feel otherwise (data supports that pacers are better than spinners).

But since the WC is in India (flat pitches in India are a bit different from flatties in SENA), I have my reservations.

6 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

What I am saying is...

Edited my original post with data. Do take a look. And welcome back, SIF :) Try and post more often during CWC.

2 spinners are perfectly fine for a spinning pitch especially if 2nd spinner is also a hitter like Axar. But India are looking to play all 3 of Kuldeep + Axar + Jadeja on spinning pitches and 2 spinners - Jadeja and Kuldeep regardless of pitch. That I'm 100 % against.

Edited by Nikhil_cric
30 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Edited my original post with data. Do take a look. And welcome back, SIF :) Try and post more often during CWC.

2 spinners are perfectly fine for a spinning pitch especially if 2nd spinner is also a hitter like Axar. But India are looking to play all 3 of Kuldeep + Axar + Jadeja on spinning pitches and 2 spinners - Jadeja and Kuldeep regardless of pitch. That I'm 100 % against.

Haha lets see reg WC.

---

I dont think management is looking to play 3 spinners on every pitch.

Right now they have to find out who their main spinners are.

It will be horses for courses during WC.

I checked out your post and i would love to respond reg the tests but it will lead to a huge back and forth.

Let me state my point simply...job of a spinner in tests is two fold.

One to pick wickets.

Two to control run flow and keep things tight in tough phases so pacers can keep running in at the other end.

Bgt series in Aus and countless series in India proves that.

Wtc finals we could have slowed down the game significantly plus when you take into account the lefties in the lineup..its was a no brainer.

No team in the history of test cricket had Ash and Jaddu level cricketers playing together who could both bat and bowl. Both of them in a way cancelled out the weaknesses of the other.

But we never used them cos we lacked vision. Thats the tragedy.

4 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Haha lets see reg WC.

---

I dont think management is looking to play 3 spinners on every pitch.

Right now they have to find out who their main spinners are.

It will be horses for courses during WC.

I checked out your post and i would love to respond reg the tests but it will lead to a huge back and forth.

Let me state my point simply...job of a spinner in tests is two fold.

One to pick wickets.

Two to control run flow and keep things tight in tough phases so pacers can keep running in at the other end.

Bgt series in Aus and countless series in India proves that.

Wtc finals we could have slowed down the game significantly plus when you take into account the lefties in the lineup..its was a no brainer.

No team in the history of test cricket had Ash and Jaddu level cricketers playing together who could both bat and bowl. Both of them in a way cancelled out the weaknesses of the other.

But we never used them cos we lacked vision. Thats the tragedy.

Oh they already are. Cricinfo was already talking about how Hardik is good enough to be a 3rd seamer and praising Axar's batting and why he makes sense at 8 and is better than Thakur. Certain other analysts were saying the same thing.  We know that Jadeja is a 100 % starter. So go figure, lol. 

This is why we should never have 3 spinners in any squad. Indian TM and captains love playing with th extra spinner whenever they can.  

Edited by Nikhil_cric
2 minutes ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Oh they already are. Cricinfo was already talking about how Hardik is good enough to be a 3rd seamer and praising Axar's batting and why he makes sense at 8 and is better than Thakur. Certain other analysts were saying the same thing.  We know that Jadeja is a 100 % starter. So go figure, lol. 

This is why we should never have 3 spinners in any squad. Indian TM and captains love playing with th extra spinner whenever they can.  

Jaddu isnt a 100% starter.

Doubts have set in.

Analysts will talk in general but when making a XI...even they wont go for 3 AR spinners, one pace AR, 2 pacers on a belter of a track in WC.

Aus series will give us a lot of clarity.

3 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Jaddu isnt a 100% starter.

Doubts have set in.

Analysts will talk in general but when making a XI...even they wont go for 3 AR spinners, one pace AR, 2 pacers on a belter of a track in WC.

Aus series will give us a lot of clarity.

They played Axar + Jadeja + Kuldeep + Pandya + 2 pacers in Chennai on a spinning wicket earlier this year and flopped. Didn't  learn from that. Jadeja went wicketless and then after getting 7 off 7, struggled to add another 11 runs in next 26 balls. Shami was hitting the ball better than this guy. If they didn't learn from that, I have little hope but lets see.   An extra pacer instead of 3rd spinner is what this side needs and Prasidh is the best qualified atm.  

1 hour ago, Nikhil_cric said:

They played Axar + Jadeja + Kuldeep + Pandya + 2 pacers in Chennai on a spinning wicket earlier this year and flopped. Didn't  learn from that. Jadeja went wicketless and then after getting 7 off 7, struggled to add another 11 runs in next 26 balls. Shami was hitting the ball better than this guy. If they didn't learn from that, I have little hope but lets see.   An extra pacer instead of 3rd spinner is what this side needs and Prasidh is the best qualified atm.  

Im so out of the loop that i have no clue which ODI is this and who were the opponents :laugh:.

Even if its a spinning wicket, we need in-form bowlers to exploit it.

3 in-form spinners on a turner can be a nightmare.

Maybe im wrong and they might consider 3 spinners for WC but most likely this is bilateral experimentation.

Yes Prasidh is a great choice with the lift he gets.