Shubhman Gill diagnosed with Dengue!

I also think..since Gill was sent to hospital just as a precautionary measure to address any potential issues well in advance or prevent from happening..he may have not been that weak to begin with..so chances of him recovering to good fitness are high..

if he was really down and weak with dengue..then he wouldnt definitely be finding hard to bat for long even in the nets...

99% fit..if we assume its truth..then..he is mostly likely fit enough to play match..if they want to be extra careful..then they will rest him..keeping the negth of tournament in mind..and also the intensity of this high profile clash..as it will be mentally very taxing for players..

Edited by Need4Speed

if he is 99% fit..and you ask my opinion..then..if Gill feels..he is hitting the balls in the nets with same timing and intensity he was before Dengue..and feeling good..about himself..it means that form and confidence is there...then let him play..

Edited by Need4Speed
8 minutes ago, Need4Speed said:

if he is 99% fit..and you ask my opinion..then..if Gill feels..he is hitting the balls in the nets with same timing and intensity he was before Dengue..and feeling good..about himself..it means that form and confidence is there...then let him play..

Or play gill tomorrow and rest him against Bangladesh 

6 minutes ago, Need4Speed said:

It's not just the form in the nets that matters though. He needs to be able to play a long innings in the heat which could also involve a lot of running. It's a risk India don't really need to take and they have good enough cover with Ishan. This game is not do-or-die and he will be needed more in the latter stages.

1 minute ago, speed_thrills said:

It's a do or die match. Steak is much more valuable then the world cup. Gill must play.

Playing a not fully recovered player in 35 degree heat is not the best way to maintain a streak even if this being more important than the cup were true. If India could beat Australia without Gill, they can certainly dispose off Pakistan without thrusting him into the side at the expense of a fully fit player  just a couple of days after Gill has been released from hospital.

16 minutes ago, lemsip said:

It's not just the form in the nets that matters though. He needs to be able to play a long innings in the heat which could also involve a lot of running. It's a risk India don't really need to take and they have good enough cover with Ishan. This game is not do-or-die and he will be needed more in the latter stages.

agreed..and Gill will know more about it how he is feeling..body wise..not just in spirits..

TM wanted to have a look at him on Friday net session sin heat..and would have alos got some idea..

10 minutes ago, speed_thrills said:

It's a do or die match. Steak is much more valuable then the world cup. Gill must play.

How on earth is it a do or die match? India can and will most likely reach the semi finals even if they lose tomorrow. Or are you one of those that say "in se may haarna"? 

2 minutes ago, lemsip said:

Playing a not fully recovered player in 35 degree heat is not the best way to maintain a streak even if this being more important than the cup were true. If India could beat Australia without Gill, they can certainly dispose off Pakistan without thrusting him into the side at the expense of a fully fit player  just a couple of days after Gill has been released from hospital.

we are going by what we saw and heard..

1-Gill just went for precautionary scans etc in hospital..

2-TM says he is 99% fit

3-He did lot of high intensity net practice...and all the visuals we have seen..he is prepping up for the match

imo..its difficult to have a 100% fit player..everyone plays with some niggles or so..

Yuvi played with lung cancer..spitting\vomiting blood..

if Gill is 99% fit..then he is good enough to play imo..only thing is that he should be feeling good form-wise,body wise and confidence wise..

I am looking here for reliability as well..

in-form 99% fit Gill is better than any other opening options we have...

only other reliable option I see is virat kohli but then we will have slow start and weakness in middle order..

15 minutes ago, Need4Speed said:

1-Gill just went for precautionary scans etc in hospital..

2-TM says he is 99% fit

3-He did lot of high intensity net practice...and all the visuals we have seen..he is prepping up for the match

We will know soon enough. 

From what I heard, his platelet count had dropped significantly  ( as expected) and he was in drips etc in the Chennai hospital. He was initially not cleared to fly to Delhi till platelets had improved with drips He was released from hospital on Wednesday and then cleared to fly to Ahmedabad.

Knowing a few people who have recovered from Dengue, it is normal to have general weakness that persists typically for a couple of weeks. Harsha Bhogle who is also down with Dengue, is hoping to be able to commentate after 2+ week recovery period on the 19th. Even allowing for the difference in ages and fitness, going from hospital to playing an international fixture in intense heat in a couple of days would be a miraculous recovery.

Rohit saying 99% fit is a statement I would take with a pinch of salt. It is not a medical opinion.

In any case we will find out tomorrow but India is no longer that dependent on 1 person. I expect them to beat Pakistan regardless of who opens.

Edited by lemsip
12 minutes ago, lemsip said:

We will know soon enough. 

From what I heard, his platelet count had dropped significantly  ( as expected) and he was in drips etc in the Chennai hospital. He was initially not cleared to fly to Delhi till platelets had improved with drips He was released from hospital on Wednesday and then cleared to fly to Ahmedabad.

Knowing a few people who have recovered from Dengue, it is normal to have general weakness that persists typically for a couple of weeks. Harsha Bhogle who is also down with Dengue, is hoping to be able to commentate after 2+ week recovery period on the 19th. Even allowing for the difference in ages and fitness, going from hospital to playing an international fixture in intense heat in a couple of days would be a miraculous recovery.

Rohit saying 99% fit is a statement I would take with a pinch of salt. It is not a medical opinion.

In any case we will find out tomorrow but India is no longer that dependent on 1 person. I expect them to beat Pakistan regardless of who opens.

I understand..even my fathers platelets couple of years back went to <10000,it was very worrying situation for us..we used Aphresis procedure to increase his platelets and it worked really well..

It does cause lot of weakness..however..if what you are stating is true..then he shouldnt be even 99% fit..and TM shudnt even think about playing him..

since thsi story unfolded..I was initially thinking the same..he may have to miss lot of matches..but there were news..he may miss Aus match..and then may be Afg match..

since they were hopeful for his return from long time..I think many steps would have been more of a precautionary nature..else..there shoudl be no speculation..just pure rest needed..

having said that..if 99% fit statement is just a bluff..better rest him...if he is 99% fit..body,physical,fitness etc wise..then I think he should be good enough..

Edited by Need4Speed
13 minutes ago, Need4Speed said:

having said that..if 99% fit statement is just a bluff..better rest him...if he is 99% fit..body,physical,fitness etc wise..then I think he should be good enough..

Actually he didn't said he is 99% fit. He said he is 99% available for selection tomorrow.  Slightly different point.

Dont neglect the fact that ishan Kishan is fully fit, scored some runs in the last game, adds a left hander to offset Shaheen's inswingers and played a very good innings  vs Pakistan in Sri Lanka.

So selection for this game would be call between a recovering Gill who hasn't batted since the 2nd ODI v Australia  back in September and Ishan who has been batting OK and is fit.

Edited by lemsip
40 minutes ago, lemsip said:

Actually he didn't said he is 99% fit. He said he is 99% available for selection tomorrow.  Slightly different point.

Dont neglect the fact that ishan Kishan is fully fit, scored some runs in the last game, adds a left hander to offset Shaheen's inswingers and played a very good innings  vs Pakistan in Sri Lanka.

So selection for this game would be call between a recovering Gill who hasn't batted since the 2nd ODI v Australia  back in September and Ishan who has been batting OK and is fit.

Alright..not sure what does that means from Rohit's POV..lol..either he is available for selection or not..

as of now we know Kishan is fully fit...what we dont know..how much fit Gill is..

depending upon how Gill himself is feeling about it..and if TM finds him match fit per their parameters..then he should play..else rest him..

they should have the fitness session screenings..in such cases before the matches..if he fails he should rest..

9 minutes ago, Need4Speed said:

..what we dont know..how much fit Gill is..

We know he has had Dengue, was in hospital on drips till Wednesday and has had 2 net sessions since then. He has played no games since 24 September.

Even if his recovery is an unheard of miracle and he is back to running around at full strength in this heat , selecting him would be a very risky call. Could easily also be a liability in the field if risked.

Just not worth it for this game given the squad available which should beat Pakistan anyway.

1 hour ago, lemsip said:

We know he has had Dengue, was in hospital on drips till Wednesday and has had 2 net sessions since then. He has played no games since 24 September.

Even if his recovery is an unheard of miracle and he is back to running around at full strength in this heat , selecting him would be a very risky call. Could easily also be a liability in the field if risked.

Just not worth it for this game given the squad available which should beat Pakistan anyway.

how he is able to recover bat for such extended sessions after drips on wednesday...what they feed him on drip..lol