KL Rahul should be reprimanded

6 minutes ago, nitinbwj said:

We are not losing to Eng and SA. I'm wary if NZ because of the 'home' conditions provided to them. :wall:

Nz are clear favourities especially after Pandya's injury.  Stupid on the part of bcci to keep dharmashala as a venue for Ind vs Nz (a SENA team), as there is no home advantage.  But I think we should not worry too much.  One loss (if at all) in the 1st round should be fine.  

Edited by Frustrated
10 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

By BCCI or Dravid or senior ex-cricketers. 

Players do such sacrifices by not taking singles when the target is less than 10 runs. He was on 30 and Kohli on 70 with 34 still needed. He just st scored 3 runs more to Kohli’s 30 runs. Criminal to do that for personal milestones 

Is this an old boy’s’ club?

I completely agree its been long since kela played dot balls in wc ,last he did regularly in t20 wc. So actually he was being selfish that this is the time he can play dot balls and people will think he is doing it for kohli.

Edited by raki05
1 hour ago, nitinbwj said:

We are not losing to Eng and SA. I'm wary if NZ because of the 'home' conditions provided to them. :wall:

Im worried about giving SENA teams a good platform meaning their opening partersnhip, our opening bowlers have not been taking wickets early in the innings to place pressure on their middle order.

1 hour ago, Frustrated said:

Nz are clear favourities especially after Pandya's injury.  Stupid on the part of bcci to keep dharmashala as a venue for Ind vs Nz (a SENA team), as there is no home advantage.  But I think we should not worry too much.  One loss (if at all) in the 1st round should be fine.  

India are going to clearly qualify for the finals, so between now and then its imperative that India get tested in a variety of circumstances where they are disadvantaged.

Meaning batting when less favourable, losing crucial toss, tough wickets to bat on etc etc. India needs to be tested before semi finals properly.

2 hours ago, SRT100 said:

SRT chasing that 100th hundred is the biggest negative mark in his career.

Agree.   Having said that, as an Indian fan, I would hv been happy with that hundred if we were chasing a low total and we had the luxury of playing out a few dot balls as the exact target was known.  For eg: Yesterday's game vs Ban. (Still I m not defending the way kohli played dot balls towards the fag end)  But that SRT's knock came while we were batting first on a flat pitch and unsure of what would be a good total on that pitch.  Eventually we ended up losing that match to Ban.  We were about 20-30 runs short.

3 minutes ago, SRT100 said:

India are going to clearly qualify for the finals, so between now and then its imperative that India get tested in a variety of circumstances where they are disadvantaged.

Meaning batting when less favourable, losing crucial toss, tough wickets to bat on etc etc. India needs to be tested before semi finals properly.

Adding on to that, I think in one or two games going forward, our TM needs to show more guts and try sending one of our lower order batter , preferably Jaddu or Thakur at no. 4 or 5 to see how they bat.  Our lower middle order is totally untested till now.  

40 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Adding on to that, I think in one or two games going forward, our TM needs to show more guts and try sending one of our lower order batter , preferably Jaddu or Thakur at no. 4 or 5 to see how they bat.  Our lower middle order is totally untested till now.  

Thats the huge problem with the Madness of Indian Cricket, they believe the best time to be tested is the first time i a final or semi final.

I agree, batting Jaddu or Thakur higher up to expose them is a good idea, especially once India qualify 100% for the final 4.

9 hours ago, Frustrated said:

U hv a valid point.  Though I m sure if it were a KO match or a Final,  Kohli (or anyone else) would not hv bothered about the hundred at all.  Another thing worth recalling is that Kohli struggled to get a hundred in intl cricket for nearly 3 yrs (not too long ago).  So, getting a hundred even though it's against a weaker opponent is likely to give him a psychological boost for upcoming games.   It may be seen as stat padding by many, and maybe they are right. But then that's the way things go.   

IIRC, Kohli didn't score a hundred in the last WC. Maybe he wanted to get that monkey off his back and have a century to his name this WC. Refusing singles for an extended period looked awkward yesterday to say the least. But let's hope Kohli thrives on the confidence gained from this century and scores a few more to win the cup for us. 

4 hours ago, SRT100 said:

SRT chasing that 100th hundred is the biggest negative mark in his career.

Yes he could have left it at 99 and that would have been a remarkable feat, just like Don Bradman's average of 99. Some things should be just left as it is for God as nothing is perfect in this world. Mona Lisa painting is an example, they say that da Vinci worked on it for 14 years and died without completing it, but look at the legacy he left behind even after centuries. Similarly Sachin chasing his 100th 100, BCCI arranging a special series with a third grade side so he could achieve it, not only left a black spot on his beautiful career but also took the charm out of that achivement in itself.

17 minutes ago, Sean Bradley said:

Yes he could have left it at 99 and that would have been a remarkable feat, just like Don Bradman's average of 99. Some things should be just left as it is for God as nothing is perfect in this world. Mona Lisa painting is an example, they say that da Vinci worked on it for 14 years and died without completing it, but look at the legacy he left behind even after centuries. Similarly Sachin chasing his 100th 100, BCCI arranging a special series with a third grade side so he could achieve it, not only left a black spot on his beautiful career but also took the charm out of that achivement in itself.

Im obviously a huge fan of SRT and think he was advised poorly about chasing that illusive 100. Im sure he would have consulted friends, coaches, team mates etc. I would have been more impressed with 99 hundreds, than what he ended up achieving. I dont have an issue about him playing on as long as he did, but chasing that hundred 100, was definitely a low light in his otherwise almost perfect career.

I agree being left on 99 hundreds, would have forever drawn comparison with Bradman and his average of 99.94. Would have added a charm that would have remained in cricket history.

Bradman incidentally on Australian TV, said that SRT was the only batsman he has seen that comes close to looking like the player he once was when he played.

16 hours ago, nikrulz said:

After what Pandya did to him in the First match.

He is being selfless.

There is a good vibe in the dressing room...positive team atmosphere. Let it long continue....

The issue is that it should not take such personal-landmark indulgences to create positive team atmospheres. Even if Kohli was stranded on 86* and the team finished 2-3 overs ahead, the camaraderie should be the same.

But then again, I've never played competitive cricket, so I may not totally "get it." My opinion is clouded by the overall 1980s/90s Indian obsession with centuries and half-centuries. It seemed to have dwindled in the decades since, but I am traumatized enough that I am sensitive to it.

6 hours ago, nevada said:

IIRC, Kohli didn't score a hundred in the last WC. Maybe he wanted to get that monkey off his back and have a century to his name this WC. Refusing singles for an extended period looked awkward yesterday to say the least. But let's hope Kohli thrives on the confidence gained from this century and scores a few more to win the cup for us. 

Shouldn't he be just as confident if he was stranded on 98*?  Do 2 more runs give such a boost?  100 is just an arbitrary landmark from the team's perspective. The only thing that mattered was 257.  If he shepherded the team with his brilliant batting and got them to the finish line, shouldn't that be an adequate confidence-booster?

Whatever. This will keep happening for as long as cricket is played, and I will keep lamenting it until the day I can't type anymore :-)!!

Edited by BacktoCricaddict