Srinivasan Ramanujan - Mystical math genuis

ravishingravi

Today being mathematics day, I have been watching documentaries and reading extensively about him. Mathematical genius part is fairly known. But the mystical part of his this young clerk with no exposure got to derive such complex formulas. By his own statement deity would tell him in his sleep and he couldn't explain otherwise. 

His eccentricities and idiosyncrasies aside, such a tragic story too in many ways. To die so young when there was so much he could have contributed. Made me almost cry thinking about this young boy caught sick in cold of London. Isolated. 

Almost 4000 theorems and equations. Unbelievable considering very short productive work time he got. The man who knew infinity but also deeply feared it. 

45 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Man of science!

I owe everything to Goddess Namagiri Thayar of Namakkal who leaves these mathematical formulae on my tongue in my dreams. An equation for me has no meaning unless it expresses a thought of God. - Srinivasa Ramanujan.

Genius of a man!

Exactly. Defying binaries of modern schools of scientific thinking and rationalism. There are more than one way to look at this world and experience this life. 

For Ramanujan, the complex formulas were about connecting the creation with the creator.