BCCI considering hike in test match player fees

Its not about raising the test match fees- its not like there is a choice for a player to play tests instead of IPL due to the ICC window. This will mean absolutely nothing and wont incentivise players from playing in Ranji anyway.

What BCCI needs to do is to ensure their test players are all conditions ready and the alternative is to reimburse them to the same extent to what an IPL contract would be so they can play domestic cricket in County, Australia, SA etc so they build up their skills and in addition to playing Ranji on turning tracks. But till the lure of endorsements, brands and IPL money is there no player will ever select the red ball option

1 hour ago, Sandz said:

BCCI finally realizing the IPL hole they been digging for themselves it seems, let’s see what comes out of this. 

10 test matches per year equates to 1.5 crores, not bad but they will need to increase is substantially to compete with IPL money.

Yea pretty decent start but needs to be in the 10 crore plus bracket on average to compete. 

Top stars get 15 to 20 crore in ipl. 

They can do multi year contract like  Eng, 10-15 crore is hard per year but if the player is guaranteed a good income stream for 2-3 years then we can do 10-15 so around 5 per year. Test cricketers any way should not be forced into T20 setup all the time!

2 hours ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Its not about raising the test match fees- its not like there is a choice for a player to play tests instead of IPL due to the ICC window. This will mean absolutely nothing and wont incentivise players from playing in Ranji anyway.

What BCCI needs to do is to ensure their test players are all conditions ready and the alternative is to reimburse them to the same extent to what an IPL contract would be so they can play domestic cricket in County, Australia, SA etc so they build up their skills and in addition to playing Ranji on turning tracks. But till the lure of endorsements, brands and IPL money is there no player will ever select the red ball option

Were players all conditions ready before advent of IPL? What is all conditions ready anyway?

Why would they want to send their players to country cricket and cheapen IPL.Pujara has been playing county cricket forever,what good has it done to him and India.

As long as players like Gill exist, Indian test cricket fine.Players who want to do well in long format will always be there.

Edited by putrevus
3 hours ago, putrevus said:

Were players all conditions ready before advent of IPL? What is all conditions ready anyway?

Why would they want to send their players to country cricket and cheapen IPL.Pujara has been playing county cricket forever,what good has it done to him and India.

As long as players like Gill exist, Indian test cricket fine.Players who want to do well in long format will always be there.

Our test batsmen in 90's and 2000s were better in red ball cricket than the equivalent young stars of today- how does playing IPL on dry pattas help a test player who has weaknesses against a swinging ball in English conditions or a bouncy short ball in Aus/SA? How does he improve his weaknesses if the pitches/conditions in Ranji dont offer the same experience? If you think IPL quality comes from indian players youre delusional- apart from the Rohits, Kohlis etc the main draw and quality of the league comes from overseas players. How is this helping younger indian batsmen who arent established to be better at red ball cricket? how does their absence cheapen IPL? Its about a mindset shift- if a young player can be incentivised by getting paid the same to play world red ball domestic cricket as the same as a IPL contract then logically it makes sense but the new gen mindset is getting paid for less work means why would anyone toil in red ball cricket when 3 months of IPL is enough

Youre comparing an old 36+ player who has played a lot of tests who probably has weaker eyesight and reflexes to a young player in their 20s who has potential to do better at their age in red ball cricket?

7 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

Our test batsmen in 90's and 2000s were better in red ball cricket than the equivalent young stars of today- how does playing IPL on dry pattas help a test player who has weaknesses against a swinging ball in English conditions or a bouncy short ball in Aus/SA? How does he improve his weaknesses if the pitches/conditions in Ranji dont offer the same experience? If you think IPL quality comes from indian players youre delusional- apart from the Rohits, Kohlis etc the main draw and quality of the league comes from overseas players. How is this helping younger indian batsmen who arent established to be better at red ball cricket? how does their absence cheapen IPL? Its about a mindset shift- if a young player can be incentivised by getting paid the same to play world red ball domestic cricket as the same as a IPL contract then logically it makes sense but the new gen mindset is getting paid for less work means why would anyone toil in red ball cricket when 3 months of IPL is enough

Youre comparing an old 36+ player who has played a lot of tests who probably has weaker eyesight and reflexes to a young player in their 20s who has potential to do better at their age in red ball cricket?

I think you are being very harsh on these guys.I never said quality is coming from IPL. I also think quality is not being degraded due to IPL.Not every Indian domestic cricketer plays IPL.

It is an evolution, players are allowed to make money from IPL.Why are we begruding players for earning money. IPL is just a avenue for players to make money.If some guys  like Iyer ,Pandya and Kishen don't want to play test cricket, they are allowed to do so.It is a free country.

Jaiswal scored more runs than any Indian batsmen in his first few tests than Gavaskar if I am not wrong., 

Plus how were they better in 90s and 2000s. The moment they stepped away from India even in SL they had issues.They failed like cheap tents. They could not even win in place like Zimbabwe, don't tell me it was a great team.That was the horrible standard of Indian team then.

Batting against spin has declined very much in this generation.That is something they need to work on that is where you need good coaches. Players are willing to work, coaches have to help them too.

What has Dravid done as a coach to say , wow he has made a significant impact on one aspect of game.

What quality are you talking about. India is number one or two in all ICC rankings. Only hardware is missing which is not missing due to lack of quality.

32 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I think you are being very harsh on these guys.I never said quality is coming from IPL. I also think quality is not being degraded due to IPL.Not every Indian domestic cricketer plays IPL.

It is an evolution, players are allowed to make money from IPL.Why are we begruding players for earning money. IPL is just a avenue for players to make money.If some guys  like Iyer ,Pandya and Kishen don't want to play test cricket, they are allowed to do so.It is a free country.

Jaiswal scored more runs than any Indian batsmen in his first few tests than Gavaskar if I am not wrong., 

Plus how were they better in 90s and 2000s. The moment they stepped away from India even in SL they had issues.They failed like cheap tents. They could not even win in place like Zimbabwe, don't tell me it was a great team.That was the horrible standard of Indian team then.

Batting against spin has declined very much in this generation.That is something they need to work on that is where you need good coaches. Players are willing to work, coaches have to help them too.

What has Dravid done as a coach to say , wow he has made a significant impact on one aspect of game.

What quality are you talking about. India is number one or two in all ICC rankings. Only hardware is missing which is not missing due to lack of quality.

Put it this way, gangulys team would get demolished by peak kohlis team and so would dhonis team

Edited by Kron
15 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

I think people are massively overestimating things.

India needs a group of young multi format players. In a nation of 1.4 billion you will get those.

In 1.4 billion, we have found one pace bowler under 22 avg. Large pool does not guarantee greater quality.

If that was case we would not be still looking for another Kapil Dev.Kapil retired 30 years ago.

11 minutes ago, Sandz said:

Every young players aim is to get picked up by one of the IPL team and everything else is secondary  and this attitude needs to change. So this is a step in the right direction at least, need to make young players yearn for Test cricket and not just IPL. 

this attitude will remain when TM/bCCI facilitate selections to Test and ODI teams based on IPL performances- why would any player toil in red/white ball domestics when underserving players (like SKY) get called up for wrong formats

20 hours ago, Kron said:

Put it this way, gangulys team would get demolished by peak kohlis team and so would dhonis team

Huge overstatement.

Anybody with common sense will always back Batting lineup of Sehwag Dravid Sachin Gangu Laksman ahead of current 11 or any 11 and also back them to be able to deal with Bhumrah. Yes Bhumrah will be a pain but they will deal with him.

Once they have seen off Bhumrah, who do you think will get them them out. And Yeah likes of Zakk and Bhajji are good enough to get current lot into pavalion on any surface

Edited by mishra

What I find hypocritical ,  people who want players to sacrfice the chance to earn more money are sitting somewhere away from India or even India trying to earn better living for themselves.

But they are preaching these players who have worked hard to earn the right to get the money they are getting from IPL. Unlike other boards BCCI does not allow them to earn money anywhere either.

There will be some players who will choose IPL over test cricket. You cannot avoid it.But other than Pandya I have not seen anyone escape the scrutiny .

Guys like Kishan or Iyer have to understand once they are out of the loop from team India, their value for their IPL teams drops dramatically.

Guy like Pujara who never played in test cricket was given Grade A contract for years.BCCI is doing its bit to give players playing only  test format.

Guy like SKY was given chance in test cricket to see if he can replicate his t20 exploits , I don't see anything wrong it.

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

What I find hypocritical ,  people who want players to sacrfice the chance to earn more money are sitting somewhere away from India or even India trying to earn better living for themselves.

But they are preaching these players who have worked hard to earn the right to get the money they are getting from IPL. Unlike other boards BCCI does not allow them to earn money anywhere either.

There will be some players who will choose IPL over test cricket. You cannot avoid it.But other than Pandya I have not seen anyone escape the scrutiny .

Guys like Kishan or Iyer have to understand once they are out of the loop from team India, their value for their IPL teams drops dramatically.

Guy like Pujara who never played in test cricket was given Grade A contract for years.BCCI is doing its bit to give players playing only  test format.

Guy like SKY was given chance in test cricket to see if he can replicate his t20 exploits , I don't see anything wrong it.

You can keep ranting tbh but if you chose not to read arguments thoroughly then thats your problem. There is no problem in cricketers wanting to make money but the model of cricket in India has to reflect ground reality- wrong perceptions is what a lot of people have issues with. Me like a lot of fans think Tests is where someone makes their legacy, meaningless IPL and agarbati bilateral dont mean jack shite and its very frustrating to see India lose every ICC trophy for last 10 years including WTCs

The fact is there is mixed messaging by BCCI on their priorities - they say Tests is there priority but what actions are they doing to ensure the Ranji--> India Test pipeline remains strong and competitive in all series home and away. If your selection policies and the qality of Ranji players is not consistent then how can BCCI have grounds to force someone to focus on red ball cricket when IPL players have all the advantages: money, endorsements, prime spots in team india.

What I have said preciously is that if BCCI is wanting the IPL to be its core product then make it solely about it- withdraw from Test cricket and say we will make our players the best T20 players. You cant say we prioritise Test cricket but do nothing to make sure red ball players are compensated to the same level: this has lead to a mindset shift. For example if Gill was told, you wont play IPL but we will be you 20/30crores per year to play red ball crocket all over the world, will he do it? probably not. Pujara was the ONLY one who was a one format cricketer.. why cant we have more Test format cricketers who dont play white ball cricket?

1 hour ago, mishra said:

Huge overstatement.

Anybody with common sense will always back Batting lineup of Sehwag Dravid Sachin Gangu Laksman ahead of current 11 or any 11 and also back them to be able to deal with Bhumrah. Yes Bhumrah will be a pain but they will deal with him.

Once they have seen off Bhumrah, who do you think will get them them out. And Yeah likes of Zakk and Bhajji are good enough to get current lot into pavalion on any surface

Peak kohlis team will have bumrah shami or umesh with peak ash jadeja etc. Zero chance for them to beat peak kohli team

Those batsmen bullied attacks on flat tracks. 

Zaheer in indian pitches will do nothing. 

20 minutes ago, LordPrabhzy said:

You can keep ranting tbh but if you chose not to read arguments thoroughly then thats your problem. There is no problem in cricketers wanting to make money but the model of cricket in India has to reflect ground reality- wrong perceptions is what a lot of people have issues with. Me like a lot of fans think Tests is where someone makes their legacy, meaningless IPL and agarbati bilateral dont mean jack shite and its very frustrating to see India lose every ICC trophy for last 10 years including WTCs

The fact is there is mixed messaging by BCCI on their priorities - they say Tests is there priority but what actions are they doing to ensure the Ranji--> India Test pipeline remains strong and competitive in all series home and away. If your selection policies and the qality of Ranji players is not consistent then how can BCCI have grounds to force someone to focus on red ball cricket when IPL players have all the advantages: money, endorsements, prime spots in team india.

What I have said preciously is that if BCCI is wanting the IPL to be its core product then make it solely about it- withdraw from Test cricket and say we will make our players the best T20 players. You cant say we prioritise Test cricket but do nothing to make sure red ball players are compensated to the same level: this has lead to a mindset shift. For example if Gill was told, you wont play IPL but we will be you 20/30crores per year to play red ball crocket all over the world, will he do it? probably not. Pujara was the ONLY one who was a one format cricketer.. why cant we have more Test format cricketers who dont play white ball cricket?

You are not understanding one thing and you are going on and on about value of test cricket

I like test cricket over any format but I  also understand players have to earn their living . I am happy for players for as IPL has given an avenue to earn money without ever needing to play for team India.

Even domestic cricketer can earn a living without ever playing for India. That was not the case before IPL.If IPL is attracting more youngsters to the game what is the harm in it.

For you it may be meaningless IPL , but for many players it is their livelyhood .

You keep blaming BCCI for doing things right.What do you expect them to do. Indian team is on top of the rankings in all formats.

Yes it is frustrating to see them not winning ICC trophy but that has got nothing to do with IPL or BCCI. The same players have been getting the teams to knockouts in all formats.

One thing I will blame BCCI is not using its power to have more favourable schedule.Why are ICC test finals still being played in England and that too early part of English summer.

They are only board who are still running all most all domestic tournaments .IPL does not interfere with any local domestic tournament.

IPL cannot replace international cricket, even BCCI knows it.

Will there be some players who will fake injuries or don't want to play FC , the answer is yes.You cannot avoid it.

Edited by putrevus
9 minutes ago, putrevus said:

Will there be some players who will fake injuries or don't want to play FC , the answer is yes.You cannot avoid it

I completely agree with you- unless BCCI and TM tighten up selections for Tests based on Ranji and ODIs based on 50 over domestics rather than picking IPL players based on that performances you cannot overcome this behaviour. Its because players know that all they need to do is have a good IPL season and they have more chance of getting picked for India than toiling in domestics which is enabled by BCCI. So im blaming both parties here