India break another winning streak

Rohip

how painful was it to be a indian fan in the 90s :P
With regard to Pakistan, not that painful. Despite them having their best ODI team with so many matchwinners and us having a pretty weak team, we won 17 ODIs to their 26.(take out Sharjah and their wins fall to 16 and ours to 14 :winky:) We beat them in 3 WCs one of which was a humiliating exit in the quarters for not only Pak but Miandad as well(7 years later 3 more of their legends had a similar experience at Centurion :winky:). We beat them in 2 out of the 3 finals at Dhaka and obliterated them 4-1 in Canada with such a pitiable attack(Mohanty and Harvinder Singh :laugh:). In tests, we held, what was probably their strongest ever team, to a 1-1 draw.

Pakistani fans are in despair, and it's not a pretty sight. There are some pretty mean customers out there, who've said a lot of nasty things about India over the years, and they've nowhere to hide. The younger fans coming up probably don't remember Imran's (almost) all-conquering side and look resigned to their fate, with a grudging admiration for India. Pakistani cricket has been a curious mixture of some supremely gifted cricketers and some shockingly unscrupulous ones, not necessarily exclusive of each other. The English had long suspected that there was lot of doctoring of the ball going on when the cameras were not looking. This was formalised, elevated into a science, and handed down to young, aspiring bowlers by Aqib Javed, along with a lot of under-the-table stuff such as the use of anabolic steroids, designed to create the comlplete package- a street-smart machine created from a mish-mash of dishonest & devious means, rising like a Phoenix from the murky backwaters of Pakistani cricket and confounding the world, just as Mohammad Asif did post-disastrous debut in Australia, as Shoaib did, spradically, built like a Hercules on goodness knows what concoction, cleared of an aweful action by powerless and conniving administrators, dazzling and then breaking down repeatedly because the very same substances that gave bizarre definitions to his muscles also hastened their senescence. The parallels with the brazenly dishonest athletes, drugged to the eyeballs, sweeping all in front of them, being churned out by the East German system of the 70s, is striking. Like that machine, it was only a matter of time, before this one too, ground to a halt. The surprise is only that a morally bankrupt, win-at-all-costs generation of fans never saw it coming.

The surprise is only that a morally bankrupt' date=' win-at-all-costs generation of fans never saw it coming.[/quote'] Beautifully put Doc. I only disagree with that one sentence. Given the combination of flags waving in front of eyes, tunnel vision and one eye firmly shut when dealing with most matters, it's no surprise they didn't see it coming. Pakistan cricket is on the precipice, as I have said before. Bazid Khan seems to be the only fine talent remaining in the country, who are sorely lacking in quality pacemen, spinners and batsmen at almost all age levels. Five years from now, I'll wager they'll be scrapping below WI.
Beautifully put Doc. I only disagree with that one sentence. Given the combination of flags waving in front of eyes, tunnel vision and one eye firmly shut when dealing with most matters, it's no surprise they didn't see it coming. Pakistan cricket is on the precipice, as I have said before. Bazid Khan seems to be the only fine talent remaining in the country, who are sorely lacking in quality pacemen, spinners and batsmen at almost all age levels. Five years from now, I'll wager they'll be scrapping below WI.
five years? They will be there by next year.
Bazid Khan seems to be the only fine talent remaining in the country, who are sorely lacking in quality pacemen, spinners and batsmen at almost all age levels. Five years from now, I'll wager they'll be scrapping below WI.
Actually I like Gul, he's a clever bowler who can turn it on in all forms of cricket. If his back lasts the next five years he'll become one of the best bowlers in the world. Dont know much about Bazid Khan but you're right about the rest, no talent, no heart and no hope anywhere for their fans

Yep, just wait for Younis and Yousuf to lose form as their careers slowly come to a close as the years go by. They are the only decent cricketers Pakistan has at present. Take them out of their batting lineup and watch how they fight for scraps at the bottom of the rankings with teams of comparable strength such Bangaldesh and West Indies. It's funny how some Paki fans can delude themselves into thinking that the problem lies with Malik and that the team is just 2 or 3 players way from becoming a world-beater. What a joke. Is Malik really much different from Inzamam in terms of his demeanour and his approach to captaincy ? I don't think so. The only difference is that Inzamam was a much better batsman. And with their reserve players/newcomers showing no noticeable quality whatsoever, they are bound to be stuck with their average performers for a long time. Those "2 or 3 players" being sought will never arrive, at least not anytime soon. Yet all this is lost on our retarded bretheren from across the border, who are willing to fix the green-tinted glasses on with super-glue and dream on about how speedsters like Wuhab Riaz and Sohail Khan will spark a renaissance in Pakistani cricket...I really pity poor souls. Bowlers like Imran, Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib were the kind of bowlers that turn up once in a lifetime. The best Pakistan can do on a regular basis is produce an Aaquib Javed or Sarfraz Nawaz - an average to good bowler who is competent at best. Not surprisingly, their best bowlers right now, ie; Umar Gul, Tanvir etc. and the next bunch of losers who roll out of the conveyor belt will probably be in that class. The sooner they realise this, the easier it will be for them to accept their predicament