Srila Prabhupada Quotes and Purports from the Srimad Bhagavatam

This is long overdue. I wanted to make a post on Srila Prabhupada for years. Prabhupada is a learned scholar and is responsible for translating the Srimad Bhagavatam into English. He was the founder of the Hare Krishna Movement and is responsible for the popularity of Vedic thought around the world. He is a renowned speaker and his lectures are recorded and played long after his presence. I will try to post his quotes here. I invite others to post his quotes as well.

I want to start with a video on the power of thought. Thoughts when augmented by feeling and willing can lead to manifestation. I invite @Gollum @coffee_rules @Lone Wolf @AuxiliA @ravishingravi @randomGuy @raki05, and others I seem to have missed. This involves the discussions on the medical treatment of the pakistani girl, terrorism, etc among other topics discussed in the past few days.

The topics gave me a feeling of unease sometimes bordering on demotivation not just about the topics itself but the way we responded to it. I don’t know if you felt the same. If you did, this may motivate you back to better ways :nice:

https://prabhupadabooks.com/sb/4/29/68?d=1&f=65023

The text is broader and I’m only quoting a section of the text that I consider important for the time being. The whole text can be viewed in the link mentioned above

Unless one is fully absorbed in Kṛṣṇa consciousness, material desires will come and go. That is the nature of the mind—thinking, feeling and willing. As long as the mind is not engaged in meditation on the lotus feet of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Kṛṣṇa, the mind will desire so many material enjoyments. Sensual images are recorded in the mind in chronological order, and they become manifest one after another; therefore the living entity has to accept one body after another. The mind plans material enjoyment, and the gross body serves as the instrument to realize such desires and plans. The mind is the platform onto which all desires come and go.

Here Prabhupada talks about the pitfalls of a disorganized mind which many of us are quite aware of. I want to highlight the power of manifestation. Prabhupada is talking in the greater context of Krishna consciousness but its also applicable to our desires.

Coming to our context, I see a lot of us have stated what is problematic in our country. The awareness creation is necessary. I’m not gonna say we have to hide our heads in the sand and hope for good things to happen. Awareness creation should be just that and we have to limit our attention that is given to it.

The demerits of giving it extra attention is that we would be dwelling on the problem not the solution. We maybe contributing to the snowballing of the problem since we give it feeling and willing. This is not just based on the law of attraction. This has scriptural validation. The solution maybe to give constructive solutions to the topic discussed, give it complete attention and also do the required actions in the proposed direction if possible. More importantly give it feeling and willing by praying to God, yoga and other spiritual activities. The results may surprise us in a good way.

On 5/2/2024 at 2:22 PM, Real McCoy said:

This is long overdue. I wanted to make a post on Srila Prabhupada for years. Prabhupada is a learned scholar and is responsible for translating the Srimad Bhagavatam into English. He was the founder of the Hare Krishna Movement and is responsible for the popularity of Vedic thought around the world. He is a renowned speaker and his lectures are recorded and played long after his presence. I will try to post his quotes here. I invite others to post his quotes as well.

I want to start with a video on the power of thought. Thoughts when augmented by feeling and willing can lead to manifestation. I invite @Gollum @coffee_rules @Lone Wolf @AuxiliA @ravishingravi @randomGuy @raki05, and others I seem to have missed. This involves the discussions on the medical treatment of the pakistani girl, terrorism, etc among other topics discussed in the past few days.

The topics gave me a feeling of unease sometimes bordering on demotivation not just about the topics itself but the way we responded to it. I don’t know if you felt the same. If you did, this may motivate you back to better ways :nice:

https://prabhupadabooks.com/sb/4/29/68?d=1&f=65023

The text is broader and I’m only quoting a section of the text that I consider important for the time being. The whole text can be viewed in the link mentioned above

Here Prabhupada talks about the pitfalls of a disorganized mind which many of us are quite aware of. I want to highlight the power of manifestation. Prabhupada is talking in the greater context of Krishna consciousness but its also applicable to our desires.

Coming to our context, I see a lot of us have stated what is problematic in our country. The awareness creation is necessary. I’m not gonna say we have to hide our heads in the sand and hope for good things to happen. Awareness creation should be just that and we have to limit our attention that is given to it.

The demerits of giving it extra attention is that we would be dwelling on the problem not the solution. We maybe contributing to the snowballing of the problem since we give it feeling and willing. This is not just based on the law of attraction. This has scriptural validation. The solution maybe to give constructive solutions to the topic discussed, give it complete attention and also do the required actions in the proposed direction if possible. More importantly give it feeling and willing by praying to God, yoga and other spiritual activities. The results may surprise us in a good way.

I have dwelled about ISCKON and Prabhupada a little bit, I like that they respect ritualism through bhajan and Aarti , but to say he (Krishna or consciousness )is  the only true god is kind of Abrahamic or monotheistic. I don’t want to pursue further than what I have learnt.

18 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I have dwelled about ISCKON and Prabhupada a little bit, I like that they respect ritualism through bhajan and Aarti , but to say he (Krishna or consciousness )is  the only true god is kind of Abrahamic or monotheistic. I don’t want to pursue further than what I have learnt.

Prabhupada may be fixated on Krishna but he also acknowledges the presence of trimurthies and vedic gods such as indra. It is more or less the same. The reason that gets my attention is Prabhupada's lectures can be understood by the common man which I am. Its basically designed to be that way with him teaching this to westerners. Another important feature is his lectures and purports are relevant to current events.

ISKCON started deteriorating once Prabhupada left his earthly abode. I couldn't care less about ISCKON. After his demise, it was run by westerners who were into materialistic things like money, sex, etc. The emphasis of this post is on Prabhupada and not on ISKCON.

https://prabhupadabooks.com/classes/sb/1/8/26/los_angeles/april/18/1973

Just like when you go to India, they're surprised how these American boys and girls have become so mad after God. Because that, that teaches them that: "You rascal. You learn. Because you imitate from the Western countries. Now see here, the Western country boys and girls are dancing in Kṛṣṇa consciousness. Now you imitate." That was my policy.

Word! :two_thumbs_up:

Prabhupada: After all, it is an itching sensation. So either by force or by willingly, if there is itching, everyone feels relieved itching it. That's a psychology. It is not that the women do not like rape. They like sometimes. They willingly. That is the psychology. Outwardly they show some displeasure, but inwardly they do not. This is the psychology.

Source: https://vanisource.org/w/index.php?title=750511_-_Morning_Walk_-_Perth

On 5/5/2024 at 7:46 AM, coffee_rules said:

Multitasking is bad for your cognitive function. Hence you must not have many gods, only one god.

5 hours ago, Vicks57 said:

Prabhupada: After all, it is an itching sensation. So either by force or by willingly, if there is itching, everyone feels relieved itching it. That's a psychology. It is not that the women do not like rape. They like sometimes. They willingly. That is the psychology. Outwardly they show some displeasure, but inwardly they do not. This is the psychology.

Source: https://vanisource.org/w/index.php?title=750511_-_Morning_Walk_-_Perth

Why don't you post the full context? If you go back and read the previous paragraphs, Prabhupada views lust negatively and hence rape also. But you see what you want to see. you questioned me why I keep asking whether you are thirsty. this is why :laugh: what was your google search - prabhupada illuminati :lol:

You made the mistake of calling yourself Hindu. @raki05 this is more proof that this guy is only born a hindu. He is not one in heart. He is a fallen one. Its irrelevant if you can abuse other religions, which you obviously won't for fear of reprisal. One thing is for sure. You are NOT a hindu. Stop calling yourself one. mmkay pumpkin.

50 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Why don't you post the full context? If you go back and read the previous paragraphs, Prabhupada views lust negatively and hence rape also. But you see what you want to see. you questioned me why I keep asking whether you are thirsty. this is why :laugh: what was your google search - prabhupada illuminati :lol:

You made the mistake of calling yourself Hindu. @raki05 this is more proof that this guy is only born a hindu. He is not one in heart. He is a fallen one. Its irrelevant if you can abuse other religions, which you obviously won't for fear of reprisal. One thing is for sure. You are NOT a hindu. Stop calling yourself one. mmkay pumpkin.

Full context is there in the entire link.

Those bolded words should not have come out of his mouth. Especially "they like sometimes. They willingly".

He makes a good point of leaving desire of material possessions and lust to attain freedom/moksha which every Hindu spiritual leader makes. How ever he shouldn't have said the above words.

As long as I worship Hindu gods, I am a hindu and I will call myself that.

His words on race is also problematic. Kinda like Gandhi.

On 5/5/2024 at 7:46 AM, coffee_rules said:

This is one thing I also don't feel comfortable with. I'm a Shaivite. I sometimes visit Vishnu temples. Prabhupada calls the supersoul as Krishna and he took birth not only as an avatar of Vishnu but also in the same personality as himself. According to him, Shiva, Vishnu, and Brahma are trimurthies or higher demigods within the manifestation of Krishna. The same super soul concept exists in other sects as Maheshwar, Maha Vishnu, Maha Ganapathy, etc.

What Prabhupada has done is translate texts like Srimad Bhagavatam for common man like me. For that I'm grateful.

Hey us south Indians are as strong as elephants, Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu says so :elefant: @coffee_rules@Gollum. This is as late as 14th century. Don't let western indologists and their indian minions fool you with their race theory, meat being necessary for nutrition, and other such mental speculations etc.

Source: https://prabhupadabooks.com/cc/madhya

Lord Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu converted the inhabitants of South India. These people were as strong as elephants, but they were in the clutches of the crocodiles of various philosophies, such as the Buddhist, Jain and Māyāvāda philosophies. With His disc of mercy the Lord delivered them all by converting them into Vaiṣṇavas, devotees of the Lord.

@velu Aren't you glad that you are as strong as an :elefant:

19 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Hey us south Indians are as strong as elephants, Śrī Caitanya Mahāprabhu says so :elefant: @coffee_rules@Gollum. This is as late as 14th century. Don't let western indologists and their indian minions fool you with their race theory, meat being necessary for nutrition, and other such mental speculations etc.

Source: https://prabhupadabooks.com/cc/madhya

@velu Aren't you glad that you are as strong as an :elefant:

Right now we look malnourished. We don't eat healthy food. All we eat is idli, dosa, meals. All these 3 dishes are from rice. So it's carbohydrate dense.

Sometimes we eat chapathi. Poori/chole bhature is unhealthy as *. Majority of us use generic whole wheat.

Emmer wheat/Khapli wheat is low GI and gluten is less.

Millets are healthy as *. Our ancestors 50 yrs back used to eat lots of kambu, kelvaragu, kuthiraivaali etc...

You are not getting vitamin b12 without eggs or meat. You need atleast fish meat.

Btw, our ancestors were tall as *. Now we are barely 5 8'. **** is embarassing on so many levels.

Major rethinking is required on our diets. Mix it up millets, emmer wheat, rice, vegetables, fruits and meat. Meat is healthy as *.

6 minutes ago, Vicks57 said:

Right now we look malnourished. We don't eat healthy food. All we eat is idli, dosa, meals. All these 3 dishes are from rice. So it's carbohydrate dense.

Sometimes we eat chapathi. Poori/chole bhature is unhealthy as *. Majority of us use generic whole wheat.

Emmer wheat/Khapli wheat is low GI and gluten is less.

Millets are healthy as *. Our ancestors 50 yrs back used to eat lots of kambu, kelvaragu, kuthiraivaali etc...

You are not getting vitamin b12 without eggs or meat. You need atleast fish meat.

Btw, our ancestors were tall as *. Now we are barely 5 8'. **** is embarassing on so many levels.

Major rethinking is required on our diets. Mix it up millets, emmer wheat, rice, vegetables, fruits and meat. Meat is healthy as *.

Its because we have let go of old habits. We have to look into old books (if at all there are from those times). We know about millets from doing that research. Wheat that you get in teh store is garbage. Its not the quality but the form it comes in - powdered. Back in the day, wheat had to be pounded manually and it took longer to chew chapathis. Even the chole bhature were healthier in that time. And don't get me started on the oil. It used to be groundnut oil in the south. Nw its some random vegetable oil.

Everytime I say our food isn't nutritious, folks here and IRL tell me "we need more meat". Our people can't get it through their heads that meat alone can't fix the nutrition problem. If that were the case pakistanis, bangladeshis, and sri lankans will look more powerful than us which is not the case. We are eating more meat than our ancestors. Right now, all meat is full of steroids. Needless to say, its not good. Anyway, if you want to discuss nutrition, you may start a new thread as the topic has been discussed recently in threads that are unrelated.

12 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Its because we have let go of old habits. We have to look into old books (if at all there are from those times). We know about millets from doing that research. Wheat that you get in teh store is garbage. Its not the quality but the form it comes in - powdered. Back in the day, wheat had to be pounded manually and it took longer to chew chapathis. Even the chole bhature were healthier in that time. And don't get me started on the oil. It used to be groundnut oil in the south. Nw its some random vegetable oil.

Everytime I say our food isn't nutritious, folks here and IRL tell me "we need more meat". Our people can't get it through their heads that meat alone can't fix the nutrition problem. If that were the case pakistanis, bangladeshis, and sri lankans will look more powerful than us which is not the case. We are eating more meat than our ancestors. Right now, all meat is full of steroids. Needless to say, its not good. Anyway, if you want to discuss nutrition, you may start a new thread as the topic has been discussed recently in threads that are unrelated.

Although I agree with your overall sentiment, some stuff are not true.

Chole Bhature was never healthy. Anything deep fried is never healthy.

Yes, South Indian people switched from groundnut oil to refined vegetable oil back in early 2000s. Fancy advertisements had us fooled. Vegetable oil was cheap as hell.

But in the last 5 years, middle class shifted back to ground nut oil preferably cold pressed/wood pressed. My family switched back to cold pressed groundnut oil 7 years back.

"All meat is full of steroids" is akin to saying " All veggies are full of pesticides ".  If you are going to deep fry your meat or anything and roll it in a somasa, it is not going to be healthy.

Type of wheat is more important.

We are a protein deficient nation. If you are not taking meat, you have to use protein powder to meet your daily protein requirements.  You may have to combine protein powder with peas, quinos etc..

Most Indians who are not bound by religious vegetarianism, must try to eat atleast eggs and fish.