Srila Prabhupada Quotes and Purports from the Srimad Bhagavatam

This is long overdue. I wanted to make a post on Srila Prabhupada for years. Prabhupada is a learned scholar and is responsible for translating the Srimad Bhagavatam into English. He was the founder of the Hare Krishna Movement and is responsible for the popularity of Vedic thought around the world. He is a renowned speaker and his lectures are recorded and played long after his presence. I will try to post his quotes here. I invite others to post his quotes as well.

I want to start with a video on the power of thought. Thoughts when augmented by feeling and willing can lead to manifestation. I invite @Gollum @coffee_rules @Lone Wolf @AuxiliA @ravishingravi @randomGuy @raki05, and others I seem to have missed. This involves the discussions on the medical treatment of the pakistani girl, terrorism, etc among other topics discussed in the past few days.

The topics gave me a feeling of unease sometimes bordering on demotivation not just about the topics itself but the way we responded to it. I don’t know if you felt the same. If you did, this may motivate you back to better ways :nice:

https://prabhupadabooks.com/sb/4/29/68?d=1&f=65023

The text is broader and I’m only quoting a section of the text that I consider important for the time being. The whole text can be viewed in the link mentioned above

Unless one is fully absorbed in Kṛṣṇa consciousness, material desires will come and go. That is the nature of the mind—thinking, feeling and willing. As long as the mind is not engaged in meditation on the lotus feet of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Kṛṣṇa, the mind will desire so many material enjoyments. Sensual images are recorded in the mind in chronological order, and they become manifest one after another; therefore the living entity has to accept one body after another. The mind plans material enjoyment, and the gross body serves as the instrument to realize such desires and plans. The mind is the platform onto which all desires come and go.

Here Prabhupada talks about the pitfalls of a disorganized mind which many of us are quite aware of. I want to highlight the power of manifestation. Prabhupada is talking in the greater context of Krishna consciousness but its also applicable to our desires.

Coming to our context, I see a lot of us have stated what is problematic in our country. The awareness creation is necessary. I’m not gonna say we have to hide our heads in the sand and hope for good things to happen. Awareness creation should be just that and we have to limit our attention that is given to it.

The demerits of giving it extra attention is that we would be dwelling on the problem not the solution. We maybe contributing to the snowballing of the problem since we give it feeling and willing. This is not just based on the law of attraction. This has scriptural validation. The solution maybe to give constructive solutions to the topic discussed, give it complete attention and also do the required actions in the proposed direction if possible. More importantly give it feeling and willing by praying to God, yoga and other spiritual activities. The results may surprise us in a good way.

On 5/2/2024 at 2:22 PM, Real McCoy said:

This is long overdue. I wanted to make a post on Srila Prabhupada for years. Prabhupada is a learned scholar and is responsible for translating the Srimad Bhagavatam into English. He was the founder of the Hare Krishna Movement and is responsible for the popularity of Vedic thought around the world. He is a renowned speaker and his lectures are recorded and played long after his presence. I will try to post his quotes here. I invite others to post his quotes as well.

I want to start with a video on the power of thought. Thoughts when augmented by feeling and willing can lead to manifestation. I invite @Gollum @coffee_rules @Lone Wolf @AuxiliA @ravishingravi @randomGuy @raki05, and others I seem to have missed. This involves the discussions on the medical treatment of the pakistani girl, terrorism, etc among other topics discussed in the past few days.

The topics gave me a feeling of unease sometimes bordering on demotivation not just about the topics itself but the way we responded to it. I don’t know if you felt the same. If you did, this may motivate you back to better ways :nice:

https://prabhupadabooks.com/sb/4/29/68?d=1&f=65023

The text is broader and I’m only quoting a section of the text that I consider important for the time being. The whole text can be viewed in the link mentioned above

Here Prabhupada talks about the pitfalls of a disorganized mind which many of us are quite aware of. I want to highlight the power of manifestation. Prabhupada is talking in the greater context of Krishna consciousness but its also applicable to our desires.

Coming to our context, I see a lot of us have stated what is problematic in our country. The awareness creation is necessary. I’m not gonna say we have to hide our heads in the sand and hope for good things to happen. Awareness creation should be just that and we have to limit our attention that is given to it.

The demerits of giving it extra attention is that we would be dwelling on the problem not the solution. We maybe contributing to the snowballing of the problem since we give it feeling and willing. This is not just based on the law of attraction. This has scriptural validation. The solution maybe to give constructive solutions to the topic discussed, give it complete attention and also do the required actions in the proposed direction if possible. More importantly give it feeling and willing by praying to God, yoga and other spiritual activities. The results may surprise us in a good way.

I have dwelled about ISCKON and Prabhupada a little bit, I like that they respect ritualism through bhajan and Aarti , but to say he (Krishna or consciousness )is  the only true god is kind of Abrahamic or monotheistic. I don’t want to pursue further than what I have learnt.

18 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

I have dwelled about ISCKON and Prabhupada a little bit, I like that they respect ritualism through bhajan and Aarti , but to say he (Krishna or consciousness )is  the only true god is kind of Abrahamic or monotheistic. I don’t want to pursue further than what I have learnt.

Prabhupada may be fixated on Krishna but he also acknowledges the presence of trimurthies and vedic gods such as indra. It is more or less the same. The reason that gets my attention is Prabhupada's lectures can be understood by the common man which I am. Its basically designed to be that way with him teaching this to westerners. Another important feature is his lectures and purports are relevant to current events.

ISKCON started deteriorating once Prabhupada left his earthly abode. I couldn't care less about ISCKON. After his demise, it was run by westerners who were into materialistic things like money, sex, etc. The emphasis of this post is on Prabhupada and not on ISKCON.