Greatest shot ever?

Ponting pull shote are amazing, the best shots played in cricket. Nothing matches Ponting when he starts pulling the bowlers. Hayden marching down the track and smashing the bowlers comes pretty close as does Gilly. Sangakkarra is abother that plays some majestic strokes. Over the last ten years we have been lucky to see players like Pietersen, Ponting, Hayden, Gilly, Sagakkarra and Lara.

Sachin's dont-know-name-of-shot played over the keeprs head off a short ball from brett lee during '08 summer.. tht was jus amazing.. with brett lee's pace it was one of the difficult shots to play... but he did it cleanly... anyone has tht video? cudnt find it..
gotta agree that was high class and he had complete control over that shot every time he played it.
If you want to see shots off pace watch the pull shot Ponting plays off the fastest bowler in the world at the end of htis video. Nobodyelse could do what Ponting does. S3LVoxT6QeI
I don't think anyone will question Punter's place as the best puller and hooker in the game today. Not many people can pull off the frontfoot like he did in that vid.

I dunno, I'm partial to Shiv Chanderpaul's whip-like pull. Maybe because he's pulled it off far more regularly against far better bowlers than Ponting has. Can't say that Punter's pulled too many guys like Harmison or Simon Jones off the front foot. Shiv's done it to both those, plus the likes of Lee and Ntini.

I dunno, I'm partial to Shiv Chanderpaul's whip-like pull. Maybe because he's pulled it off far more regularly against far better bowlers than Ponting has. Can't say that Punter's pulled too many guys like Harmison or Simon Jones off the front foot. Shiv's done it to both those, plus the likes of Lee and Ntini.
You must not have watched much of Ponting v Jones and Harmison especially in the 2005 ashes when Ponting went to town on Jones scoring 40 (only 50 balls) runs off Jones bowling in his innings of 156. And who can forget that brilliant 6 he pulled off Flintoff in that innings. Ponting has taken Harmison to the cleaners more times than batman has taken his suit. Shiv is a good batsman but he is nowhere near the class of Ponting when it comes to the pull shot.

Fair point. Put my foot in the mouth with the comment about Harmison and Jones. I did watch just about every ball of that series, and Ponting was outstanding at Edgbaston and Old Trafford (while he tonned up at Old Trafford, the half century in the first dig at Edgbaston was the better innings IMO - he looked truly sublime for some time before getting out completely against the grain of play), but he did struggle against the pacy short ball at other points like at Lord's. Even then, I'm still a big fan of Chanderpaul's more unorthodox style and that whip-like pull I mentioned earlier. While his technique is hardly textbook, that back-and-across shuffle with his eye makes him absolutely lethal against short pitched stuff. Probably my best memory of Shiv vs. short pitched bowling is his assault at Georgetown in 03, when he tonned up v. Aus in some 69 balls while particularly taking Bic to the cleaners. Different strokes perhaps. (As I also prefer Hussey's front foot pull to Ponting's :P)

Sachin's dont-know-name-of-shot played over the keeprs head off a short ball from brett lee during '08 summer.. tht was jus amazing.. with brett lee's pace it was one of the difficult shots to play... but he did it cleanly... anyone has tht video? cudnt find it..
Ev1DyAU2v64

Dhoni's straight drive past the wicket keeper Sachin does it too Yuvi played it against pakistan the other day as well what about Mal Loye's sweep slogs on fast bowlers? [ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=f-3Y-bP8m9E&feature=related]YouTube - Mal Loye slog sweep for 6 vs Mitchell Johnson[/ame] [ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=EC7kzQzgdqw&feature=related]YouTube - Mal Loye slog sweep for 6 vs Brett Lee[/ame] [ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=LvuQVxJLFMU&feature=related]YouTube - Take That, Mr Bond.[/ame] lots more on youtube

Three of the best shots I've ever seen....Not to mention it all came off the blazing blade of MRF. 1. That bullet like straight drive he has played off Lee in the CB series. 2. Pull shot against Andy Caddick in the 2003 world cup. 3. There was again this pull he played off McGrath in the Princess Diana memorial match at Lords... Not many people would agree with me on that third shot...but it was at a time when McGrath was at his prime...He bowled a relatively good length ball which most batsmen in the world would've played a defensive shot...but here was SRT thrashing it over the mid wicket fence for a boundry..wow!! McGrath was bemused. Any one has the video of that particular shot?