His own man : A rare insight into Rahul Dravid's mind

His own man Bangalore, Hindustan Times Anand Vasu, June 22, 2008 First Published: 00:21 IST(22/6/2008) Last Updated: 03:42 IST(22/6/2008) If you had spoken to Rahul Dravid during his last weeks as Indian captain, or tried to get in touch with him soon after he stepped down from the job, with a short, crisp statement and little else by way of explanation, you would have known a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders. 22_06_2008_020_008_008.jpg It has now been nine months since that fateful day, and many significant things have happened in Dravid’s life since. He has lost his place in the one-day team, and has matured enough to realise that this is not merely an issue of form – unless there is a dramatic change in policy, and simultaneous injuries to three or four young one-day batsman, he is not going to get a look-in. He has shepherded the Bangalore team – where he is highest-paid as the icon player – to second-last place in the inaugural Indian Premier League, in the middle of having mud slung at him by Vijay Mallya, the high-profile and occasionally petulant owner of the team. Oh, and yes, Dravid has gone past 10,000 Test runs, joining one of cricket’s most elite clubs. When Hindustan Times caught up with Dravid, he was having a hit in the nets at the National Cricket Academy in his hometown, Bangalore, on a cool drizzly June morning, just as he always does. Once he had finished with his batting, and letting wife Vijeta know he wouldn’t be home for lunch, he briefly contemplated the vegetarian thaali at the Karnataka State Cricket Association clubhouse, but changed his mind and settled for a steaming pot of pasta at ‘Sunny’s’, one of Bangalore’s more popular restaurants. Cricket in the blood With so much being written and said about India’s most popular cricketers, it’s tough to come across something new. So it came as a bit of surprise when Dravid let on that his uncle had played two representative matches, a long while ago, back in the Central Zone, in the days when the premier first-class competition was not necessarily the Ranji Trophy. It turns out Rahul's father Sharad was a batsman himself, playing university cricket in Indore, and then turning out for his employers Kissan (from where Rahul got the "jam" nickname) when they were a player short in a Sunday match. But if you thought slipping in a couple of looseners over ginger lemonade would soften up Dravid, think again. "You're not going to get much of an answer out of me, mate," he says when you put it to him that people still don't quite know why he gave up the Indian captaincy. Was it some barbed remarks from the chief of selectors that triggered it off? "I think the important thing for me was to do it till I enjoyed it. I just felt the time had come to move on, and I just knew it," he begins, half frowning at you for asking a question that was intruding into his space. "It's hard to explain exactly how I knew it. It's something you feel. It might have seemed odd to people, but as a person you just know for yourself when the time is right, and I felt my time had come." Well, if he gave up the Indian captaincy, even after enjoying success both in India and abroad, then surely it should have been easy to just walk away from his role in the Bangalore team at the IPL, people ask. After all, was it worth the trouble for someone who had achieved so much in cricket? "There were aspects of the IPL that I enjoyed. Playing T20 cricket was new to me and I wanted to see how I'd go in that form of the game," said Dravid, playing that one down with soft hands. "We didn't do well as a team and that was disappointing. There were other things that could have gone a bit better as well both on and off the field. In a team environment, I offer my views in different ways – there are some things you say in press conferences, some to the people I need to speak to." Looking back, not in anger But the last year has not been about stumbling from one tough spot to another for Dravid. "It's had its share of ups and downs, I admit," he said. "But getting to 10,000 in Test cricket has been nice. The IPL - there were parts of it that you did enjoy and appreciate but also parts of it that could have gone better, and made it a better experience. Overall it's been alright." Alright is not really the best word to describe a career in which someone has scored 10,000 runs in ODIs and Tests. In Tests only Sunil Gavaskar, Allan Border, Steve Waugh, Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar, and most recently Ricky Ponting – all batsmen you would unhesitatingly describe as great – make up the list. "I didn't set out playing with 10,000 Test runs as a goal. If you play for a long period of time, like I have, you will achieve some of these things," said Dravid. "I've played unbroken, missing only one game, in my career as a Test player. You have to be fit and scoring consistently, or you'll get dropped at some stage – the fact that I've been able to do that is important, not so much the number itself. It's nice to be in the company of some of the players you really respect and admire." Sure, he may not have started off with 10,000 runs as a goal, but surely, somewhere along the way he must've realised it was a real possibility. "I've achieved more than I expected to achieve or set out to achieve. But expectations are something that keep changing over a period of time. At the start of my career if you asked me whether I expected to score 10,000 runs in both forms of the game I would have said no. A year back, if you'd asked me the same thing I'd have probably said yes and wanted a little more too." The method While Dravid's image in cricket is largely spotless, the one criticism that's frequently directed at him is that he does not speak up enough on issues that matter, that he had the chance to influence Indian cricket, through his stature, but did not do so enough. "You don't need to say things in public to get things done. There's a lot of stuff we've got done in the journey of my career, without having to say things in public," said Dravid. "You look at the support staff the Indian team now has, the player contracts, sharing of revenue, professionalism that has come in – there have been a group of players who have helped in that process, helped create that. And I'm happy to have been a part of that and played my part. You don't have to make bold statements in the public all the time." The man, not the Wall It's one thing not making strong statements about team-mates or administrators in public, but Dravid has been largely aloof from his public as well. Just as we finish our main course young Riddhima, in her early teens, comes across for an autograph, and though perfectly polite Dravid is almost bashful. "All my life I have been a bit shy. I'm introverted, if you want to put it that way," he said. "Things have changed a bit as well. When I started off people wanted to know more about your cricket and how you came through the system. They didn't want to know a lot about your private life or try and get to know you as a person, as a personality or celebrity. That's changed a lot with the way the media has changed and with the public attention also wanting so much more than just the cricket aspect. In some ways I'm still quite guarded about the private and personal side of myself and I like to keep it that way. Everything else I do is in the public eye but there must be something you can keep to yourself, something you share with just family and people you're close to. Otherwise what's the difference between family and the public?" Trying to find out just what he means by the support he gets from his family is a bit tougher as Dravid usually keeps Vijeta and young Samit well out of interviews he gives. "My parents gave me a lot of encouragement and support, and my wife's been really good as well. I'm away a lot and she's had to manage many things on her own in this period. Even when I'm there physically, at home, I sometimes get so involved in what I'm doing that I'm not 100% there mentally, and just pre-occupied with a game that's coming up. She's been very understanding," he said. But dealing with an understanding wife and parents is one thing, while handling a young son another entirely. "He still doesn't understand exactly what's going on. There are times when he'll ask me why I have to go somewhere and insist I should stay with him. When a two-and-a-half year old says, ‘Why do you have to practice? Play with me instead’, there's not much you can say. It's hard to explain anything to a toddler," says Dravid, a smile forming for the first time since the interview began. "It's terrific, because irrespective of what sort of day you've had he's going to still expect the same things from you. He's not going to judge you any differently if you've been batting all day on a tough wicket in a Test match. He still expects you to sit down and play with his toys, read him a story. That's great. It grounds you and brings you back to reality very quickly. There's nothing to live up to when I'm with him." The home stretch There's no gentle way to put it so you just say it bluntly. When you tell Dravid he's coming to the end of a long career, just for effect adding, "who knows you might still play another five years," he bursts out laughing. "That's one thing I can tell you right now, I'm sure I won't be playing in five years. The closer you come to the later stages of your career you learn to stay in the moment and take things as they come. You learn to enjoy things a bit more. You're a bit more relaxed as a person, about who you are, what you've achieved," Dravid explained. "In the early stages you want to make a mark, establish yourself, then you want to do things as a player and as a team, then you come to a phase where you probably know you've done quite a lot and want to enjoy things. At each stage you need to be different. At some points you have to recognise that you need to step things up and take it to another level. I needed desperation and hunger at one phase. I need something else now. It's different. You're not always trying to prove a point. You learn to enjoy things for what they are and take things as they come." " I, 'Batman'?'' Now that we have him contemplating a few things, we ask him how he looks at himself as a batsman, even as dessert is declined and coffee arrives. "I don't think of myself as an orthodox batsman. I have a technique that works for me. I don't know if it is the right technique. I don't know if there's any such thing as a perfect technique in the first place," said Dravid. "As a batsman there are some things that everyone has to conform to – you have to watch the ball, you have to keep your head still, you must show the full face of the bat as much as possible, you want to judge length well. There are basic principles to batsmanship, but we all do things differently.. My technique is different from the copybook, but it works for me. There are things about my game that are not necessarily correct in the traditional sense, but I've learnt how to make it work for me. It's unique and it makes it work for my body structure and my way of thinking. Each batsman has to figure this out for himself – how to put runs on the board and play according to what is demanded of you by the situation and your team – the way you go about doing it is your way. That's the charm of the game." That it is. Straight talk 22_06_2008_020_008_003.jpgOn his persona.. AII my life I have been a bit shy. I'm introverted, if you want to put it that way... When I started off people wanted to know more about your cricket. They didn't want to know a lot about your private life or try to know you as a celebrity. That's changed a lot. Straight bat 22_06_2008_020_008_025.jpgOn his technique.. I don't think of myself as an orthodox batsman. I have a technique that works for me. I don't know if it is the right technique. I don't know if there's any such thing as a perfect technique in the first place. .
Is that grey hair that we see?
abe..its shining hair..:haha: Very good interview..enjoyed reading it.. i would add here one thing that...probably Dravid is a bit unlucky...as far as captaincy goes... His draw back of not being media savvy..and not having fanatics fan base resulted in not being deemed as the test batsman of India...IMO he is no doubt the best test batsman india has ever produced... and his ODIs records too place him among the best in business... After Sachin..Dravid is the player..who made the world sit and look at him with awe..

There is something about that man that says "integrity and character" like NO OTHER. Most of my sweet memories of Indian cricket are linked with him. And for losers who say he should retire/dropped, remember that he scored 90 in the first innings at Perth, the highest score that eventually became match winning knock. Somehow, every time India wins a big test, he is the standout performer.

I dont understand, Rahul Dravid cant just say ' Oh no, I wont talk bout why I quite captaincy'. No one's asking about his personal life. Its a legitimate question pertaining to Indian cricket state of affairs and its incumbent upon to give an answer to the fans.

I dont understand' date=' Rahul Dravid cant just say ' Oh no, I wont talk bout why I quite captaincy'. No one's asking about his personal life. Its a legitimate question pertaining to Indian cricket state of affairs and its incumbent upon to give an answer to the fans.[/quote'] True. But perhaps it might disturb a few persons in the administration. Hence Dravid might not be wanting to take a chance at the end of his career. But I'll certainly hope that he writes an autobiography after he retires. There are so many things his fans do not know about him and want to know. It'll delight all of us, for sure.

Cricketers' behaviour has not deteriorated: Dravid New Delhi, PTI: "Players' behaviour has not deteriorated... It is only because of the media scrutiny that the feeling is that cricketers are breaking the limits," Dravid said. Former India captain Rahul Dravid believes that the on-field behaviour of cricketers has improved in the last few years but the increasing media reporting of incidences of code of conduct violation has made it look otherwise. Dravid said the impression that players were toeing the line more often than not was due to an increased media coverage of the game. "Players' behaviour has not deteriorated but improved over the years. It is only because of the media scrutiny that the feeling is that cricketers are breaking the limits," Dravid said at the "Hindustan Times Leadership Summit' here today. "Earlier in the '60s and '70s also players used to involve in such chit-chats but media would not focus on that. But now at the end of the day when you go to press conference you are even asked about small things like what two players were talking in the field ... which is often blown out of proportion," he said. Dravid said he did not consider sledging against the spirit of the game. "No, I don't think so that's against the spirit of the game," he said. Former England captain Michael Vaughan also echoed Dravid's views and said he did "not mind it (sledging) as long as it was in the spirit of the game which was hard spirit". Asked if the rules related to sledging were more suited to non-Asian cultures, Dravid offered a different opinion, saying unpleasant remarks were prevalent in all the cultures. "If you live in India you deal with it (swear words) all the time. We have it all the time in our dressing rooms. Moreover there cannot be rules about confrontations," he said. Dravid felt that responsibility lies on the leaders and the administrators to see that anyone's sentiments were not hurt. "More responsibilities lied on captain and administrators that players learned to respect each other. Like in IPL you get much better awareness about people's culture and addressing the mis-understandings," he said. He said given the interest in cricket in India, the players should learn to cope with the media. "We must realise that we cannot do away with it. Media has grown 10-fold since my days as a youngster. Media is having so much interest in the game, you begin to appreciate that because it's necessary not only for the sport but also to market the players. So everything has a flip side," he added. Dravid, who led India to some historic wins on foreign soils, confessed that media does influence the decision making of the players. "It is impossible to live in the society and not get affected by it. But I am sure when you look back at certain decisions," he said without elaborating, "you feel in the hindsight you feel you have taken some decisions under pressure". The Karnataka batsman also said young players should be educated by their seniors about how to deal with media while the Board should monitor and regulate the agents signing the teenagers. "I agree with Michael (Vaughan). There is a role for senior players to educate the youngsters, especially when you see there is so many attractions for cricketers. "Agents are good if you have right agent at the right time, it gives you peace of mind. But the boys at the age of 14-15 cannot take right decisions so for them it's needed to be monitored and regulated by the Board. "For instance, in England if you are to be a football agent you have got to have a certificate from the Federation since you are dealing with young boys and girls as sometimes their families are also not in a position to take right decisions." Asked if senior players should make ways for young players, Dravid said the decision should be based on the performance and not on age. "It's going to be the debate always. It's not a new one ... I am used to being under scrutiny. As a cricketer, we are used to that as since I was 23 I am being picked for the India team. "People do ask that don't you feel crowded but I am used to it. As long as you are playing, you are under scrutiny. It's up to the selectors to take decisions and not on the basis of junior or senior". About the retirement of Anil Kumble and Sourav Ganguly, Dravid said they went on their own terms and there was no deal with the BCCI. "I don't think there was a deal. They are legends, they went on their own terms." On the subject of endorsements, Dravid said all players were aware that only good performance would get them such deals and "it's all going to stop once they fail to perform. The bottom line is that players are aware of that. So I don't think it has influenced on their performance". To a question why many players were from small cities, Dravid said, "BCCI had done a wonderful job of making available the facilities in smaller towns. But in the big cities time is the constraint with many other pressures." LINK

I was surprised that so many people wanted me to do well. Do you feel relieved? Definitely. I’m relieved and it’s nice to be contributing again. It has been a tough year for me, nothing has been easy. It’s nice to make important contributions. You didn’t show much emotion after completing your hundred. Was it like trying to make a statement? (Laughs) Not really. I didn’t try to make any statement. I was definitely happy and relieved. I guess I’m bit old and wise, I don’t jump around even when I’m excited. It was a combination of both relief and joy. You have scored 26 Test centuries. How important was this knock? It’s a quite significant knock, considering the form I was in coming into the match. It’s one of the most significant hundreds I scored and I now just hope we go on to win this match. There was lot of criticism about your poor form…. Yes. I know. Naturally, there will be something about me. After all, I did not play great cricket for the past few months. I was not scoring runs. It’s only natural that people would speculate and raise questions about me. It was very tough time personally. But then, criticism is part and parcel of cricket. Were you getting disappointed for your string of poor scores? Not really. I was determined. I was surprised that so many people wanted me to do well. I mean if there was any positive out of the phase, this was it. It’s during this time that you realise that so many people want you to do well. Some of the people didn’t need to do that but still they supported me. I felt as if so many people have gone through the journey with me. It was more important than scoring runs. How did you manage to make this comeback? See I was never short of confidence. In the last few months, including the series against Australia, I felt I was playing well, though I don’t have the runs to prove that. There are certain ways I judge that — like the way I bat in the nets, my position while batting, direction I play the ball in… Teammates, (coach) Gary (Kirsten) and other people said everything was right about my batting. I too knew that in my gut but only the runs were not coming. I knew it was just a matter of going out and spending some time. I knew I will turn around and it has happened. Did you look at some of your previous knocks? I tried everything. Looked at a video of some of the good knocks and recreated the emotions. But in the last two series, I only enjoyed my sessions in the nets and tried to be as uncomplicated as possible. I decided to trust my instinct and just watch the ball. How did you build this innings? As the innings went on, I grew in confidence and my feet started moving. I also could pick the ball better. It was a good testing spell by the English bowlers and we were lucky to come through that. Yesterday, Gautam (Gambhir) played a very good knock. He took the pressure off me by scoring at a quick rate and rotating the strike. I hope our (314-run) stand is potentially match-winning. We have set the platform to push for a win. There was a suggestion to send you down the batting order… I don’t know since no one spoke to me about that. I believe they had full faith on me. I knew the pressure was on me because I was not scoring runs. Personally, I am always happy to contribute for the team in whichever position I am asked to bat.

Yes. I know. Naturally, there will be something about me. After all, I did not play great cricket for the past few months. I was not scoring runs. It’s only natural that people would speculate and raise questions about me. It was very tough time personally. But then, criticism is part and parcel of cricket.
:hmmmm2: He played a FC match during the ODI series and before that, there was the Aussie series.

Rahul Dravid: ever the team man More... Rahul Dravid: ever the team man Vijay Lokapally Dravid has played for Karnataka with almost three generations UNASSUMING: Rahul Dravid is one of the few star cricketers who would not miss a domestic match for his State. NEW DELHI: He was the first man out of the team bus. Dragging his heavy kit, making his way past a curious staff at the Roshanara Club ground, Rahul Dravid presented a sight that should serve as a lesson and motivation to most youngsters. His stature as a senior statesman of the game did not come in his way to become just one of the players in the Karnataka camp. He arrived un-noticed, unassuming as ever, slipping past the ground staff to take a look at the pitch before returning to his kit, this time lugging it to the ground from the makeshift pavilion. Dravid, like Anil Kumble, is one of the few star cricketers who would not miss a domestic match for his State. “I really enjoy playing for Karnataka. I’ve played for Karnataka with almost three generations of players from (Syed) Kirmani, Raghuram (Bhatt), (K). Jeswanth to Sujit (Somasunder), Anil (Kumble), (Javagal) Srinath, (Venkatesh) Prasad to this group,” said Dravid. So, how is it now? “We have a whole new bunch of players coming through and it is quite an exciting time for us. It gives me an opportunity to see the young talent and help them if I get a chance to do so,” explained Dravid. More than a decade ago, he and Anil Kumble insisted on travelling by train with the team for a match in Orissa when flight was a welcome option. “I remember that journey,” said Kumble, who was always available to play for Karnataka when free from international duty. Responsibility “I look at it as one’s responsibility towards the State that promoted you. It reflects on the way you have been brought up in terms of going through the First-Class level. I always enjoyed playing for my home team. It is important to remember where you started off,” averred Kumble. Dravid, chosen by Steve Waugh to write the foreword for his autobiography, was as comfortable at the Roshanara as he would be at Lord’s or the MCG. In fact, he was just back from Meerut, a dusty town with little tradition of big time cricket, staying with the team at a non-descript hotel. Sporting wicket But, as Dravid insisted, Meerut had one “of the best pitches” he had seen in domestic cricket. “It was really outstanding. It had everything for good cricket. Importantly, it gave equal opportunities to the batsmen and the bowlers and we were able to get a result,” said Dravid. Good news for Yudhvir Singh, the hard-working official from the local unit in Meerut. Dravid, first off the bus, was last to leave the ground, lugging his neatly-packed kit, leaving as quietly as he had arrived.