Did yesterday's win mask Bowling deficiencies

There was a time when Kumble and other spinners were a strength of indian bowling during odis, they not contained run rate but also took wickets , this current crop has become a big liability , in last two matches against pakistan Indian bowling attack has conceded nearly 200 runs in last 25 overs. Chawla is joke , I can understand that leg spinners can be expensive but they should be wicket takers otherwise their place in team in not justified, apart from minnows chawla has done nothing to suggest he has the talent to succeed at this level , I will take that Fat man Pawar over this guy any day of week , this guy apart from occasional googly has nothing which scares a good players. What is not acceptable is Indian bowlers giving up 200 runs in last twenty five overs second time in row, there is nobody in this bowling attack who can bowl yorkers in death overs i was shocked yesterday when I didnt see even one good yorker bowled by the seamers in last ten overs. They can say all they want about the flat nature of the pitch, Bowling full and straight and yorker length is an art which none of these indian seamers seem to posses , they were either bowling too many slower deliveries or full tosses.Why Dhoni didnt even try Sewhag yesterday is a mystery to me.He couldnt have been worse than Chawla. Ishant Sharma has to learn how to bowl at death with his height he has advantage of bowling yorkers but I dont know if he is working on that, but the last two performances has shown why Indian bowlers give up so easily if the pitch doesnt offer any assistance, apart from the media hype which has given this team fall sense of achievement , they have done nothing so far , they lost one final which they should have won , let them win something like asia cup and CT before we crown them.

Even B'desh has a more exp bowling lineup compared to ours. Our most exp bowler in yesterdays game was sehwag and he didnt even bowl. Chawla, ishant, praveen have played less than 20 ODIs. pathan made his debut couple of weeks back. The only so called exp bowler was RP singh who bowled as good as anyone could on that pitch. India score 300 in 41 overs. Had we played 50 overs we might have even hit 400 so lets not forget the kind of pitch bowlers got. Lets not be to harsh on our bowlers.

Even B'desh has a more exp bowling lineup compared to ours. Our most exp bowler in yesterdays game was sehwag and he didnt even bowl. Chawla, ishant, praveen have played less than 20 ODIs. pathan made his debut couple of weeks back. The only so called exp bowler was RP singh who bowled as good as anyone could on that pitch. India score 300 in 41 overs. Had we played 50 overs we might have even hit 400 so lets not forget the kind of pitch bowlers got. Lets not be to harsh on our bowlers.
these were the same bowlers who allowed 320 in bangladesh to same team when they were 58 after 15 overs, chawla then went for 85 in his ten overs, we were all out within 50 overs then their bowlers did the job then, so pitch being flat is just an excuse, they never looked taking a wicket in both matches.
these were the same bowlers who allowed 320 in bangladesh to same team when they were 58 after 15 overs' date=' chawla then went for 85 in his ten overs, we were all out within 50 overs then their bowlers did the job then, so pitch being flat is just an excuse, they never looked taking a wicket in both matches.[/quote'] So what. Yes we lost the game you are talking about but we still scored close to 300 and mind you Pak bowlers didnt earn most of Indian wickets in that game. All i am saying is keep a check on expectation. Players like Kumble come once in a while. Chawla or for that matter any other bowler needs time to develop. You want to bring in ojha for next game fine but do remeber ojha wont be bowling to ranji players. batsman on the other end would be Jaya, Sangakara, Mahela, Younis khan, Yousuf, Malik , misbah , malik. On flat tracks like the ones we are seeing every single one of them can single handly tear apart ojha's confidence. Then what do you do find another one ?
Chawla is the only weak link in India's bowling attack at the moment. Bear in mind that the Indian bowlers, for all their "deficiencies", still managed to restrict PAK to a total of under 300 even when they had 9 wickets in hand going into the last 10 overs.
They scored nearly 200 runs in last 25 overs how is that restriction and they scored nearly 80 runs in last ten yesterday they should have scored more ,120 in last match which is very good, Check bravo who doesnt bowl faster than any of our seamers but bowls great in death is alway around block hole which no indian Seamer has learned yet.
They scored nearly 200 runs in last 25 overs how is that restriction and they scored nearly 80 runs in last ten yesterday they should have scored more ' date='120 in last match which is very good, Check bravo who doesnt bowl faster than any of our seamers but bowls great in death is alway around block hole [b']which no indian Seamer has learned yet.
the 3 seamers who were playing yesterday have played 65 ODIs combined. To learn how to contain an International batsman, during final overs , on a flat track with boundary ropes pulled, will take some time.

putrevus, Thanx for starting this thread :thumbs_up: Very valid point. Our win yesterday indeed masked our bowling deficiencies. Ishant Sharma needs to pull his socks up, and RPS - where are the yorkers!? I am less worried about Chawla, he'll be back to domestics soon. But, I.S. RPS and PK need to do the job. I wanted to start this thread yesterday, but then Predz will come up with a nasty post, and the fight will start all over again. Good thread :thumbs_up:

Our bowlers definitely need to improve. Granted the track was as flat as Jodie Foster's chest but the pace bowling didnt' create any wicket taking opporunities and the spin bowling was not threatening. RP was decent but not great. The other two just need more experience and to be fair there were a couple of dropped catches that should have swung the momentum (briefly) back to our side. I really believe if we had made those catches it would have finished below 285. Chawla will disappear when Bhajji comes back who's a much more intelligent and aggressive ODI bowler.

Our bowling is a bit weak and though in the end 300 runs in 50 overs on this track might have been a good enough job, as putrevus said we also did give 200 in the last 25. Not every team is going to go into a defensive mode in the first 25 overs deliberately. Against more attacking opposition openers we might have been looking at 350 runs. Having said that, the attack is inexperienced and except for Chawla, who clearly needs to spend time in the domestics, the rest need more experience and practice to come through. But till that happens our batsmen will just have to compensate for the extra runs we give away.

Well, we are definitely missing the services of Zaheer Khan. Also, Munaf bowled the best yorkers I have ever seen by a Indian bowler. Both of them are missing. Also, no Sreesanth, but then he is still to prove himself in ODIs. But he should do that soon, as his performance in T-20 was excellent.

Chawla is joke ' date=' I can understand that leg spinners can be expensive but they should be wicket takers otherwise their place in team in not justified, apart from minnows chawla has done nothing to suggest he has the talent to succeed at this level , I will take that Fat man Pawar over this guy any day of week , this guy apart from occasional googly has nothing which scares a good players.[/quote'] Perhaps you are right. Taking out the associates and Bangladesh, he averages 48.92 with an economy of 5.43!
What is not acceptable is Indian bowlers giving up 200 runs in last twenty five overs second time in row' date=' there is nobody in this bowling attack who can bowl yorkers in death overs i was shocked yesterday when I didnt see even one good yorker bowled by the seamers in last ten overs.[/quote'] You must realise that the entire Pakistan innings was centred around an acceleration in the last 25 overs. Yorkers are tremendously underused in ODI cricket though and I thought that Prasad should have been able to inform the fast bowlers of the importance of such. It does not have to be quick, but if it is right in the blochole, there is nothing which the batsman can do.
They can say all they want about the flat nature of the pitch' date=' Bowling full and straight and yorker length is an art which none of these indian seamers seem to posses , they were either bowling too many slower deliveries or full tosses.Why Dhoni didnt even try Sewhag yesterday is a mystery to me.He couldnt have been worse than Chawla.[/quote'] Sehwag is tremendously underbowled, he is a very good part timer. Excluding the associates and Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, he averages 42.59 with economy of 5.43, which is not bad at all.
Ishant Sharma has to learn how to bowl at death with his height he has advantage of bowling yorkers but I dont know if he is working on that' date=' but the last two performances has shown why Indian bowlers give up so easily if the pitch doesnt offer any assistance,[/quote'] Indeed. Ishant is not too flash when the opposition take the attack to him. The Plan A is good in Test and ODI cricket, but a yorker and well directed bouncer are needed for him to become a truly great ODI bowler and to succeed in T20.

Well, I think the main focus is the ICC Champions Cup soon. I think with Sreesanth, Ishant, Pathan and then Bhajji we'll have a very good bowling attack with Praveen Kumar or RP fighting it out for the last spot. The main thing is to get these young guys experience. Sreesanth has improved quite a lot in the past 9-11 months as an opening ODI bowler. He's got pace, get decent bounce and movement.

putrevus, Thanx for starting this thread :thumbs_up: Very valid point. Our win yesterday indeed masked our bowling deficiencies. Ishant Sharma needs to pull his socks up, and RPS - where are the yorkers!? I am less worried about Chawla, he'll be back to domestics soon. But, I.S. RPS and PK need to do the job. I wanted to start this thread yesterday, but then Predz will come up with a nasty post, and the fight will start all over again. Good thread :thumbs_up:
u scared of the muscleman? :--D