What do you think about the review system ?

Why have expectations for them to walk in the first place. They are out there to play cricket' date=' umpires are out there to give decisions.[/quote'] maybe he wudnt have said anything, if they had taken drugs or screwed the ball..
So much for players being more honest (read: Tendulkar and Dravid).
hoho.. looks whos talking about honesty....i heard honesty is being sold for 10rs a kilo across the border..

shwetabh: To an extent, I agree. I was just referring to the sentiment that the review system will lead to more players walking when they know they're out. zubinpepsi: I think you're under the misconception that I'm here to defame India at every oppurtunity or something like that. I'm not. If only I had a dollar for every time I tried to engage a discussion for it to be derailed with some unrelated counterpoint that has to do with me being Pakistani. Talk about the topic of the thread, there are plenty of other threads to have a go at Pakistanis.

Irony of the Indian team... I think we can justifiably say that the review system came into being because of the Indian cricket team and the debacle in Australia. The three batsmen with the highest average in the Indian team (Tendulkar, Dravid and Sehwag) were done in by the same review system. The one time the Indians used it it didn't work for them. I think the review system is kinda like the weather...never going to go in India's favor. (Not that it's anybodies fault but their own that they lost the game)

Luck don't quite seem to favour the batsmen in particular. Rahul Dravid from 2006 South Africa series till the time of the end of the overseas series to England must have been given out wrongly about 8 times in test cricket. Then the review system would have helped him immensely. At this moment it may feel we are undone by the review system but it will pay dividends soon when India plays at home. With those close catches and spinners chugging away there's nothing more reliable than this review system. I suppose ICC should help the 3rd umpires a bit more by giving them the benefit of using the hot spot.

I think Kumble will gain a lot from this review system ( right time and pitch ), there have been so many times his straighter ones are not given Overall, a great system - doesn't mater if India was on the receiving end after all we wanted this right so it has to be accepted both ways

It hardly made a difference in the overall result. Sri Lanka were better: they batted with more discipline, bowled with a better plan and fielded far more sharply. This system had no effect upon the result given the gulf in the two teams. But it will be better for cricket in the long run.

In real spinning wickets, the spinners are going to suffer pretty soon. I saw only a little of the match, but from what I saw Mark Benson's attitude seemed to be like "I am not going to give it out, if you are so sure go for a review", for cases where he would have otherwise taken a close look. In the dustbowls that we see in India & SL now and then, there will be lot of appeals for bat-pads that the bowler and the fielders aren't sure about. If the umpires increasingly start using the Benson approach (which isn't unlike what they now have for run-out appeals, except that they refer it themselves), the spin dominant teams will waste away the available referrals.

The review system is not there to eliminate all errors. Its there to minimize errors. If you match the results, you will find that the review system ensured more correct decisions than incorrect ones. That was the objective and it was achieved. Unfortunately India was at the receiving end of the first ever error by this system, but we will begefit from it as well.

Good thoughts by everyone. The review system will have its intended effect, when Aussies play. Aussies tend to get marginal decisions to go their way, at a very high probability. I expect this to level off with the review system. Indians simply did not play good enough cricket to win a session, in this test. Review system, despite its flaws, is far better than an otherwise chance based process.

I think Kumble will gain a lot from this review system ( right time and pitch ), there have been so many times his straighter ones are not given Overall, a great system - doesn't mater if India was on the receiving end after all we wanted this right so it has to be accepted both ways
but that was not the reason why India lost the match, their inability to play spin on a dead pitch cost them match.Dead pitch as to be emphasized,with luck of draw they might restricted Srilanka to say 400 , still it was no contest.

review system is the best thing that has happened rite now..but then the 3rd umpire shd be given access to all the technologies that are available like hot spot and snicko..y the heck shd there be restricted access..anyway this game v saw two big mistakes by the umpired being overturned although India were on the wrong side of the decisions, this new thing wud be really useful in the long run..and i think that the fielding captain shd be more judicious in their review appeals..rather than squandering like wat we did in lankans innings we should go for it only wen everyone is confident i mean the bowler and the keeper..so the captain has a big role to play too..

Hmm I don't think it's anybodies fault but the teams for losing. I'm not blaming the umpire review system and certainly not the umpires, I just thought it was slightly humorous how things worked out in the end, I strongly hope that this system is adapted into all games because it benefits everybody, there was a mistake or two with the review system but other than that it's a great system. But yea, we Indians clamored for the system after Australia and that same system destroyed what slender chance we had (albeit it they were chances that took advantage of the mistakes of the umpires.) Hopefully it will aid us in the right ways in the future. As for the Indian team naysayers...relax, it's just a game for one and these guys haven't truly failed us over an entire series in a very long time. Of the new guns Gambhir's shown promise and I'm sure Karthik is hungry, it just...took some time to shake off the cobwebs. They'll show us why we're proud of them...we may not win...but they will make us proud. As I said it's been a long time since they failed over an entire test series.