Selector's mum on Badrinath’s inclusion

First of all, picking Kohli over Yusuf Pathan seems a no-brainer to begin with. But, to drop Pathan and not select Badri is truly baffling. Its actually a good thing that Badri went to the press over this. Sometimes, you need to ruffle a few feathers to get people's attention.

His age is a big factor in his non-selection. He is turning 28 in a few days. That is considered old by Indian standards
Huh? 28 is old? Since when? Even by the so called 'Indian standards', 28 isnt old. Batsman are supposed to be at their best between 27 and 31. If anything, the relatively higher experience of Badri should have pushed the case more in favor of him. Have the selectors already forgotten how the 'youngsters' were shot out by Mendis in the Asia cup final? Nothing about this decision makes any sort of sense.

It was in the news ....The final selection was left to the captain. It didn't say he didn't want Badri...but mentioned it was the captain's choice. Unfortunatelytoday is all about the olympic opening ceremony ...so there is almost no news about cricket.

It was in the news ....The final selection was left to the captain. It didn't say he didn't want Badri...but mentioned it was the captain's choice.
Here's my take on that (shamelessly copy/pasted from another thread :-): Got to (grudgingly) agree there - Dhoni seems to have a knack for picking talent and believes in "his" players - it reminds me of Imran Khan's instincts. That said, I am surprised that he wasn't impressed with Badrinath's batting and fielding abilities in the IPL. IIRC, Badrinath did very well on both counts. MSD publicly praised Badrinath at least one time for his commitment, but doesn't seem to think enough of him to ask for him over an unproven commodity like Kohli. His subjective selection method will win praise as long as the team is winning; once the team starts to falter a little, it could trigger unrest and accusations of "playing favorites." I feel bad for Badrinath, but as long as the CSKs up his $$$ to where he can make a good living, it is nothing for us to feel terrible; this is unlike the time when the only way these guys could make a good living from cricket was to get a national contract. Times have-a-changed for the bette

He deserves a look in for the tests, but the same people who support him are bawling their asses out in other threads as to how none of the fab 4 should be touched, how australia tour needs them, how it is just one series failure. Contradiction, much ? Beetle, remember our debate a few weeks back when I said new people should be given a look in right now ?