Gary Kirsten - One of the best coaches India has ever had

Everybody seems to attribute our recent success (last 1 year) to THE YOUTH BRIGADE, Dhoni & Co, which is absolutely true, no doubt. But a lot of it is to do with our current coach Gary Kirsten. He reminds me of Wright, quite, shy, staying away from the media, quite unlike his predecessor. He just does his job quietly and the results are there to be seen. More importantly, the players are very comfortable with him and after hearing gambhir in the 4th ODI, its for sure, that he IS one of the best coaches India has ever had !

Kirsten has obviously learned from mistakes of guru Greg. Greggie was this in-your-face, media-savvy coach, full of sound-bites. If anything, Greg was more like a Premier league football type coach, always at the forefront of things. In a cricket crazy nation like India, that may not work always. Besides, Kirsten had the luxury of inheriting a team-in-transition. Most of the seniors were omitted from the ODI scheme of things already by then. And in tests, Kumble, Ganguly were already on their way out. Kirsten also had the good luck of having a team that was doing well. We had won a test series in Eng for the first time in more than 20 years, won the T20 WC, competed really well in Australia and won the CB series. So, the mood was positive when he came in, unlike what happens normally when a new coach comes either in a cloud of controversy or crisis. But most importantly, this is the BEST Indian squad ever to have packed their cabin and check-in luggage for a tour in the history of Indian cricket, led by the India’s best captain ever. That helps a lot too.

If we want to praise Kirsten, then we should be praising his attitude towards playes and media which perhaps chappell lacked. I don't know which point system the op used to defne kirsten the best coach for India. I mean give credit to the team, the team lead by Dhoni has been brilliant. The Young brigade has played some brilliant cricket. THe seniors have stood up well in tests

I dont understand two things in cricket: coach and team numbers on the back of the jerseys. All that an International cricket team needs is a captain and a manager. If you are gonna get into an international team and expect a coach to work on your basics it is not going to happen. Maybe a team like Pakistan can do well with a coach, what if the captain and the manager are divided in opinion ALWAYS, a coach can be of much help in arriving at the consensus. Jokes apart, an international captain should be able to take care of his team. I donno why they got numbers on the back of jerseys. Ok in football or hockey the manager/ coach rings in the substitutions so you need numbers to identify the players but why in cricket?! Any idea guys...

I dont understand two things in cricket: coach and team numbers on the back of the jerseys. All that an International cricket team needs is a captain and a manager. If you are gonna get into an international team and expect a coach to work on your basics it is not going to happen. Maybe a team like Pakistan can do well with a coach, what if the captain and the manager are divided in opinion ALWAYS, a coach can be of much help in arriving at the consensus. Jokes apart, an international captain should be able to take care of his team. I donno why they got numbers on the back of jerseys. Ok in football or hockey the manager/ coach rings in the substitutions so you need numbers to identify the players but why in cricket?! Any idea guys...
if rahul dravid or any young player is struggling with his batting,do u expect dhoni to help him n tell him how to play better.NO, a captain has lot more important things on his plate.he can't take care of every players's game.coach can help in that regard