Irfan Pathan's Performance so far

It doesn't make sense to go into a limited overs match without a 3rd medium pace option - if one of your front line quicks gets hammered in the powerplays there is no fallback option except to bring on your spinners in the powerplay which can turn out to be even more expensive. If a captain does choose to bowl his spinners in the powerplay he should do it as an option rather than a necessity.

Indian bowlers in T20 http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=3;team=6;template=results;type=bowling Irfan is the highest wicket taker. Considering he bowls inside power plays and death 7.87 is not a horrible ER. He takes wickets. wickets per match is 1. RP is a good bowler. But on flat pitches like this he is crap. Be mindful they are playing on absolutely dead track with cold weather (no swing at all). Almost all pacers were hit around. Infact far worse than Irfan. Ishants economy is 8.40 even worse.

it is a shame how hes gone downhill since he started, i know the reasons have been documented at length but its a sad case of what might have been. That Pak tour and his debut series in Aus.. he was set to be a fine bowler...

You want both the spinner to play then Irfan comes with it so unless we decide to drop one of bhaji/ ojha and bring in praveen or rp ' date=' droping irfan for jadeja or even kartick is out of question[/quote'] Exactly. only guy who could have potentially replaced him was one and only Viru. Rest of them have their own issues.
Irfan pathan doesn't deserve to be in the team just coz he can bat a bit..... Good teams will destroy his attack... imagine gayle and gibbs?
Thats true, he gets in on his batting. I think our batsmen should have some confidence to play out 20 overs, but when you're constantly looking to hit you can lose wickets. I'd like to have Praveen Kumar especially is there is movement in the pitch, but then our batting line up is shorter, it is a tough call

We need him for things like this :--D 15.4 Shahid Afridi to Pathan, SIX, that's on the roof! Pathan uses his feet, steps down the pitch and with a full swing of his arms, lofts the ball over the midwicket boundary 15.5 Shahid Afridi to Pathan, SIX, and again, Pathan charges Afridi and lofts him cleanly over the long-on boundary this time, the crowd goes beserk

Ideally Pathan should play when there is swing on offer as he is a completely different bowler and does beat the batsmen and force them into false strokes because of his left arm swing. Where there isn't any swing I would rather go with someone like Jadeja or another batsmen and use Yusuf Pathan plus Raina/Rohit to make up IP's overs because without swing Pathan bowls medium pace pies. I do appreciate that he's just doing what the captain is asking him tho. I know Pathan may not be liked by many here but please consider that he IS a swing bowler and without swing he's forced to really go for A LOT of variations like slow deliveries, offcutters, yorkers etc all of which he sucks at really. He's just doing this because the team and captain have asked him to do it.

Ideally Pathan should play when there is swing on offer as he is a completely different bowler and does beat the batsmen and force them into false strokes because of his left arm swing. Where there isn't any swing I would rather go with someone like Jadeja or another batsmen and use Yusuf Pathan plus Raina/Rohit to make up IP's overs because without swing Pathan bowls medium pace pies. I do appreciate that he's just doing what the captain is asking him tho. I know Pathan may not be liked by many here but please consider that he IS a swing bowler and without swing he's forced to really go for A LOT of variations like slow deliveries, offcutters, yorkers etc all of which he sucks at really. He's just doing this because the team and captain have asked him to do it.
What rubbish! Anderson, Hilfenhaus, and Sidebottom are also swing bowlers but don't dish out tripe like Pathan does when the ball is not swinging. And what's with this captain and team asking him to do it theory. Did they slip in this information to you? Bottom line is that Pathan has completely lost it as a bowler - yes we are stuck with playing him because our 2 spinners are brilliant but I can't remember the last time Pathan even looked like taking wickets in an international match. The best he is capable of doing is give you 2-3 overs in the middle at 7-8 RPO.
Bashing Irfan achieves what exactly? Get off your high horse. Irfan' doing his best with the cards he's dealt with
so dont you comment on any player's bad performance, just because it achieves nothing WTF is he doing his best...he has nothing best after the initial good years he had...he has lost it completely as bowler and he is making the team pay for it, hence i am irated. This team being so good is carrying a big non-performer always with them Even I want Irfan to be at his best and come back like what he did in Aus and Pak during 04-05, but now everytime he bowls, he dishes out crap has he ever looked threatening in the last few years. He gets the wickets only when the batsman tries to hit the crap out of him and gets out, due to the pressure maitained on the other end
What rubbish! Anderson, Hilfenhaus, and Sidebottom are also swing bowlers but don't dish out tripe like Pathan does when the ball is not swinging.
Well Sidebottom and Hilfenhaus haven't played enough T20 cricket yet to make any comparison. But Jimmy Anderson has and funnily enough his strike rate and economy is almost identical to Pathans, so Anderson has been dishing out the same tripe as Pathan. No offense, but maybe you should think harder the next time you post.
And what's with this captain and team asking him to do it theory. Did they slip in this information to you? Bottom line is that Pathan has completely lost it as a bowler - yes we are stuck with playing him because our 2 spinners are brilliant but I can't remember the last time Pathan even looked like taking wickets in an international match. The best he is capable of doing is give you 2-3 overs in the middle at 7-8 RPO.
You only have to see how differently Pathan bowls when the ball is swinging and when it is not. You can see the differences in seam position, the variations and so on that give you an indication as to what the bowling plans are. It's no different than commentators mentioning that such and such bowler is bowling to a field, setting up the batsmen, and bowling to a plan (back of a length, etc etc). You think the team slips it's plans to the commentators?
so dont you comment on any player's bad performance, just because it achieves nothing WTF is he doing his best...he has nothing best after the initial good years he had...he has lost it completely as bowler and he is making the team pay for it, hence i am irated. This team being so good is carrying a big non-performer always with them Even I want Irfan to be at his best and come back like what he did in Aus and Pak during 04-05, but now everytime he bowls, he dishes out crap has he ever looked threatening in the last few years. He gets the wickets only when the batsman tries to hit the crap out of him and gets out, due to the pressure maitained on the other end
I have no problem with anyone criticizing Indian players. I've criticized Pathan plenty of times but it's hard to take a post seriously when you just say he's bowling crap, rubbish etc etc. It's worthwhile pointing out which types of deliveries were ineffective etc, because in the Ireland game his first spell was pretty good.

F Edwards 2-0-37-0 B Lee 4-0-56-0 Umar Gul 3-0-39-1 How many good seamers are there? Most of the top bowlers were taken to cleaners. Let us put things in perspective. All seamers go for runs in the death. I still question India's overall strategy in the death overs not just fast bowlers. FIeld set, line of attack et al. I think Dhoni can do better here.