Ishant Sharma - What Went Wrong?

Watching Sharma bowl in the game today and in recent times one has to wonder what has happened to the fiery bowler who first burst on the world stage 18 months ago. He seems to lack everything at the moment. Poor line and length, so many balls short and wide and a couple of hit-me balls almost every over. He is becoming cannon fodder for the opposing batsmen who score runs off him at will. He takes very few wickets and concedes so many runs - his strike rate and economy rate are taking a beating. There seems to be no anger in his game - he gets hit for runs and just ambles back for some more treatment. Where is the passion? The pace has dropped off noticeably and that would be tolerable if the economy rate was decent but its not. Some of the problems can be blamed on fatigue but it is alarming that Sharma seems to have lost all the basics needed to be a good bowler. I hope he does not turn out to be another in the long and sad line of Indian bowlers who burst on the scene initially and then gradually become ineffective before fading into obscurity.

One answer ... Prasad ... He himself was a dabba bowler and now turning IS into the same .. tell IS to bowl as fast as he can .. forget abt line and length... He surely can't concede more runs than he is doing now ... But by bowling fast he can grab some wickets atleast

^ Yes' date=' just keep him for Tests, it is silly to play him in ODI/T20 where he has usually struggled.[/quote'] Yes and you will make up for his loss in income, right?? :rolleyes: Test cricket pays crap- 20/20 pays a whole lot more
He really needs to work on his pace..even in OZ series in 2008' date=' his was bowling short and wide deliveries..but coz he was bowling them above 145+, he was highly effective... dont know why he lost that motivation of bowling pure pace...[/quote'] roxer, my man tell him to eat meat and do chin ups... get him all big like u man
Yes and you will make up for his loss in income, right?? :rolleyes: Test cricket paus crap- 20/20 pays a whole lot more
suraj, Is he bowling well in ODIs/T20? If he is, then you can talk about that. I feel we can pick other bowlers who can peform better in the shorter format.