Is Brendon McCullum the most overrated batsman out there these days?

Mr. Wicket

The first thing I remember with that name is his superb century for KKR in the opening match of IPL season 1. That was a fantastic knock. He has a fine average and SR in T20s' date=' but his records so far in ODI and tests have been average.[/quote'] Yes. Let us focus on the big picture and all forms of the game (particularly the more significant ones) rather than a one-off in a slog-happy circus.
When he was not considered as a real asset as a batsman he was doing well. Moment people started taking him seriously he started showing inconsistency. May be it is mental thing. That was one of the reason why Gilly always said "My runs are bonus to team". A way of taking pressure of expectations.
Opening the batting you can't think that way. If you get out early it puts pressure on the other batsmen. But I guess if they come to expect nothing from you then its a different story

So in that case, why do fans overrate McCullum so much? Do they give too much regard to his exploits in a couple of hit and giggle showcases and ignore his far-less-than-stellar performances otherwise? Are some of the fans and media unable to distinguish between a cowlasher without the maturity and discipline to succeed in test cricket, and a top quality batsman who can be effective in all formats of the game? Matt Prior, Mark Boucher, MS Dhoni, Brad Haddin and even Kamran Akmal have similarly good or far better (in most cases) records.

So in that case, why do fans overrate McCullum so much? Do they give too much regard to his exploits in a couple of hit and giggle showcases and ignore his far-less-than-stellar performances otherwise? Are some of the fans and media unable to distinguish between a cowlasher without the maturity and discipline to succeed in test cricket, and a top quality batsman who can be effective in all formats of the game? Matt Prior, Mark Boucher, MS Dhoni, Brad Haddin and even Kamran Akmal have similarly good or far better (in most cases) records.
We fans are like that. We frequently hype players with one good performance (sometimes we even hype players who have not played a single competitive match is seven years). And media serves what sells.

I don't think he is an overrated player - he is viewed as a destructive player, not as a consistent player. I think McCullum's innings usually satisfy the laws of runs - he does seem to score after 3-4 matches and those knocks are usually match winning. I can't seem to figure out when he has gone out of his form. Finally, the talent in the batsman also draws him a lot of fans.

i think he's a real athletic talent. Watching him keep in the test series against India he was awesome. He should either be given the license to go buckwild, produce innings like 30/15, the occasional 50+ in 30 balls, and be expected to average around 30 with a S/R of 100+. But he has a long way to go if you want to consider him as a proper batsmen.

I don't think he is an overrated player - he is viewed as a destructive player, not as a consistent player. I think McCullum's innings usually satisfy the laws of runs - he does seem to score after 3-4 matches and those knocks are usually match winning. I can't seem to figure out when he has gone out of his form. Finally, the talent in the batsman also draws him a lot of fans.
excellent post
Yep. IIRC his only test tons are against Zim and Banglas. Good for a brisk 30 against top oppo. But nothing more. Even in ODIs his average is less than 30 I think. edit: forgot the one he scored agasint us. odi average is 28 to be precise. tests is 31
no ,he scored a ton against us wen we toured recently