"Never said no to captaining India" : Sehwag

Feed

Dashing opener Virender Sehwag on Monday said he doesn't want to be the captain of the Indian cricket team and suggested that a new face should be given the responsibility of vice-captaincy so that he can be groomed to take the reins after skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni. More... I don't want to be captain: Sehwag Press Trust Of India New Delhi, September 08, 2009 First Published: 01:40 IST(8/9/2009) Last Updated: 01:43 IST(8/9/2009) Dashing opener Virender Sehwag on Monday said he doesn't want to be the captain of the Indian cricket team and suggested that a new face should be given the responsibility of vice-captaincy so that he can be groomed to take the reins after skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni. "I don't want to be a captain, I have already told selectors about it. I have said that a new player should be made vice-captain and be groomed to be a captain," Sehwag said. "I want that I should continue to score runs and keep winning matches for the team," he added. The Delhi-batsman said he would regain his fitness completely before the Champions League, which starts from October 10. Sehwag, who has played under many skippers in his career, considers former skipper Saurav Ganguly as the best ever captains for Team India. "Saurav Ganguly has been the best ever captain India ever had," he said. "Saurav took over as captain of the India cricket team when it was going through a very bad patch. Indian team was struggling to put come out of the match fixing scandal. He had a responsibility to put together a new team and he did a splendid job," Sehwag told News24 channel.

Interesting.i think Gambhir should be groomed n made the VC,hes a shoo- in in all forms of the game.

"Saurav Ganguly has been the best ever captain India ever had," he said. "Saurav took over as captain of the India cricket team when it was going through a very bad patch. Indian team was struggling to put come out of the match fixing scandal. He had a responsibility to put together a new team and he did a splendid job," Sehwag told News24 channel.
wat will patriot say now? :giggle:

LOL call it biased reporting. News 24 channel showed this interview by Sehwag last night ( only a part of it thoguh, fill interview to be shown on the coming Saturday). Viru very clearly said " DHoni is a great captain, but right no I wont compare him with Saurav . Give Dhoni time and he will end up as the best ever Indian captain. You already look at the time for which he's been captain and the kind of results we have got under him, no other Indian captain ever got such results". He also went onto say by the time dhoni's tenure as captain finishes, Dhoni would have become the benchmark for all other future Indian captains. Also said that he sees Dhoni as the skipper for as long as he wants and he does see the team dominating world cricket under Dhoni's leadership! He spoke about dada for half a minute out of 15-20 minutes long interview that they showed yday and still see what the press writes :) On being acaptain, LOL he never said he doesnt want to be a captain. All he said was that there is no vacancy for 4-5 years now and by then I will 35-36 and wuldny like to be the captain.But he said " if an opportunity arises mid way, and the responsibility comes to me, I wouldnt hesitate to continue the good work being done by Dhoni!!

LOL call it biased reporting. News 24 channel showed this interview by Sehwag last night ( only a part of it thoguh, fill interview to be shown on the coming Saturday). Viru very clearly said " DHoni is a great captain, but right no I wont compare him with Saurav . Give Dhoni time and he will end up as the best ever Indian captain. You already look at the time for which he's been captain and the kind of results we have got under him, no other Indian captain ever got such results". He also went onto say by the time dhoni's tenure as captain finishes, Dhoni would have become the benchmark for all other future Indian captains. Also said that he sees Dhoni as the skipper for as long as he wants and he does see the team dominating world cricket under Dhoni's leadership! He spoke about dada for half a minute out of 15-20 minutes long interview that they showed yday and still see what the press writes :) On being acaptain, LOL he never said he doesnt want to be a captain. All he said was that there is no vacancy for 4-5 years now and by then I will 35-36 and wuldny like to be the captain.But he said " if an opportunity arises mid way, and the responsibility comes to me, I wouldnt hesitate to continue the good work being done by Dhoni!!
I've seen another Sehwag interview before and even then he said Ganguly is the best captain. So I'm sure he believes that and feels by the time Dhoni finishes he will be the greatest, but not yet, which is fair

That works. Some people are good in playing supporting roles for captains rather than taking the mantle over. Sehwag is one of them. His thought process in Perth was simple and straight forward. "Ponting is facing. let us give one more over to Ishant", That kind of role suits him better. Dhoni despite his occasional flaws is still the man. Also Dhoni gives importance to opinion of seniors. Also Sehwag should focus on slaughtering more Pakistan bowlers :--D

"Never said no to captaining India" : Sehwag Virender Sehwag has denied saying no to Indian captaincy, insisting that he is open to taking up the job as and when required. More... Wednesday 23rd September 2009 "Never said no to captaining India" Virender Sehwag has denied saying no to Indian captaincy, insisting that he is open to taking up the job as and when required. "All I had said was that I didn't want to be vice-captain of the Indian team and that it should go to a younger player who can be groomed as captain for years to come. But if an opportunity arises and the team needs it, I can lead the side," Sehwag said. However, the right-hander, who is presently recuperating from a shoulder injury , doesn't want to step into Mahendra Singh Dhoni's shoes right now. "Right now, I don't think Dhoni should be replaced as captain but at some stage if something happens to him or he gets injured and I if I am offered the captaincy, I will take it," he told 'Aaj Tak'. Sehwag picked fellow opener Gautam Gambhir, who replaced him as captain of the Delhi Daredevils team, as a future captain of the national side. "Gautam has the talent and I have seen and observed him from close quarters. His thinking towards the game is very positive and he has leadership skills also," he said. Explaining his decision to give up Daredevils' captaincy, Sehwag said, "I have led the team for two years and we reached the semifinals. I feel Gautam should be given a chance to make the team do better as technically the teams only have a year left with the existing three-year contract and this will be the last time." "After the next year, the teams will look different with another auction taking place," he added. Asked about the status of his shoulder injury, Sehwag said he would be fit for next month's Champions League Twenty20. "I have been batting for some days and have absolutely no problem but throwing the ball from deep is still an issue. I would be close to full fitness by the Champions League. I will be playing in the Irani Cup before that as I need match practice and hopefully I will make an international comeback against Australia in the ODIs in October," he said.