Next Generation Fast Bowlers of Indian Cricket

Cricketics

Our fast bowlers have flattered to deceive so much in the last few years that one fears to have any sort of expectations from them whatsoever. Almost every fast bowler, apart from maybe the exception of Zaheer Khan, have progressively gone downhill. Pace isn’t everything, but at a time where almost every other country boasts of at least two 140 kmph+ fast bowler in their side, we’re the only top flight team with pacemen well short of that mark. What could possibly be wrong?

Our fast bowlers have flattered to deceive so much in the last few years that one fears to have any sort of expectations from them whatsoever. Almost every fast bowler, apart from maybe the exception of Zaheer Khan, have progressively gone downhill. Pace isn’t everything, but at a time where almost every other country boasts of at least two 140 kmph+ fast bowler in their side, we’re the only top flight team with pacemen well short of that mark. What could possibly be wrong?
Zaheer too only began fulfilling his potential after his county stint- 3 years ago? at the age of 27/28 maybe. Needed to be dropped and given a kick up the backside that way before that. Even when he started of a lot was expected. Had a good CT in 02, then was very handy in the England tour that year too but was inconsistent thereafter until a few years ago. I dont care if we dont have anyone genuinely quick- itd be nice- but we seemed to have a good pace attack not long ago- real options Zak,Ishant,Munaf,RPS, Sree. Wonder what it is with our pace bowlers, their pace and vene the consistency falls by the wayside within 2 years, when the likes of Brett Lee can turn it on at 33.

Good thread but does anybody have any updates on Zak. I am really missing him as our pace spearhead. I felt Ishant also bowled a lot better when Zak is around (maybe it is guidance or what I dont know but since Zak got injured Ishant has also gone downhill). I would not call Zak also completely consistent but he was the best one within the last decade for sure after the end of the Prasad-Srinath era. I searched google for any recent news about him but I did not see any news at all. Does anybody have any update when he will be fit and back in the team. :hmmm: From amongst the rookies Tyagi and Umesh Yadav might be tried. And that Warnie kid Kamran Khan also needs to be mentored. He was getting swing and speed of 145 with his slingy action but maybe after correction of action and proper healthy nutrition and excercises he can still maintain 140. It would still not be that bad. Amit Singh was also touching 140 and his action was also passed by the ICC I suppose. BCCI should get someone to mentor all the upcoming fast bowlers properly to increase their speeds and potential or we will be in a serious fast bowling crisis after the end of the present set of bowlers.