Chasing 275+ Totals - Comparison of Indian batsmen

Gambit

The whole essence of my argument is that its not entirely proper to draw a direct correlation between the relative performances of batsmen batting at different positions in high pressure chases, using averages alone. It may not paint the most accurate picture of things.
Well said, but I guess Gambits OP was less of a comparision (which I asked for later) and more of a point The point being that despite some people saying otherwise, actually Tendulkar has been very good in chases of high totals. He has been very good in important World Cup matches. Very good in finals of tourneys. Point being hes the best ODI batsman ever. Yes. Case closed. Cheers. Love you guys loads.
Maybe there isn’t a way of comparing them using stats at all. That’s the essence of my whole argument. You can paint a picture one way or the other using just numbers' date=' but it may not be the most scientific way to go about it.[/quote'] well thats the wat stats go.they cant give u 100% results.but still for the discussion they r used.come to think of it,even SRT,Ponting,Lara cant be compared

Amazing statistics.It looks like that we lose whenever Sachin didn't score big and the ultimate frustration resulting in calling him a choker and making him a scapegoat whereas others failiures go unnoticed. Ponting's statistics is an absolute shocker.He is called as the ultimate messiah of chasing big totals? People say his 2003Wc knock,the fact that he batted first is conveniently forgotten whereas in case of Sachin, batting first will never be considered and only chasing that matters.Unbeliveable double standards!

Riya Add to your point the fact that when Ponting walked in that 2003 final, Aussies were 106/1 after 14 overs and Indian bowlers hadnt a clue what had hit them by then!! Ponting feasted on that lost-looking bowling that day. When has Sachin had such a luxury of walking out to pummel an already lost looking bowling attack!

People just love to see "lagaan type of " innings where the hero hits a last ball six to seal the deal. I have been critical of him in the past as well. They are mainly Test matches. In one dayers like world cup final, 360 plus chase with 15 over powerplay was very difficult against a bowling attack like Australia. He wanted to start in a frantic way like he did against Pakistan. But it didn't pay off. No big deal.

I was so annoyed with Tendulkar' date=' Jadeja, Robin Singh and Azhar in that game, all they had to go was given Ganguly strike and he would have gone way past 200, but they all wanted to do the hitting themselves and failed :hitler:[/quote'] u cant think like that in an ODI specially a world cup game.i'm sure Ganguly wouldnt have minded that

i am surprised to see the Sachins numbers; for me 270+ critical match means sachin will fail but looking at the numbers it seems otherwise. Sehwags always had bad ODI numbers , Dhoni's had to be good considering the innings he has played in the last 3-4 yrs but i wouldnt have imagined such a big difference between Dravids and Sachins avg.

u cant think like that in an ODI specially a world cup game.i'm sure Ganguly wouldnt have minded that
If you can't defend 360 odd, it wouldn't have made a difference if they scored 10 extra runs. I know where you're coming from, but the way he switched up gears in that innings and just took the SL bowling apart, he deserved that record. I feel sorry for Dravid in that innings, everyone forgets his innings because its over-shadowed by Gangulys but Dravid's innings was pure class
If you can't defend 360 odd' date= it wouldn't have made a difference if they scored 10 extra runs. I know where you're coming from, but the way he switched up gears in that innings and just took the SL bowling apart, he deserved that record. I feel sorry for Dravid in that innings, everyone forgets his innings because its over-shadowed by Gangulys but Dravid's innings was pure class
why not every one run is crucial Aus failed to defend 434 against SA in that game,dont u think 10 more runs would have been a completely different result. although i agree that Ganguly deserved the record.similarly like SRT deserved it wen he got 186*.but u cant blame someone else for that.it was just bad luck

Bevan was not spectacular chasing 275+ totals. 300+ CHASES Sachin Tendulkar averages 41 with a SR of 98 with 1 100 and 7 50s from 24 matches when chasing 300+ totals against non minnows.

65(59) 4(7) 27(28) 41(26) 32(31) 18(28) 26(25) 93(89) 62(38) 14(19) 4(5) 89(91) 27(40) 141(135) 78(103) 6(11) 9(15) 94(81) 16(25) 72(72) 30(27) 2(3) 27(33) 8(14)

Tendulkar's strike rate, coupled with his average, is outstanding in 300+ chases. Rahul Dravid averages 33 with a SR of 82 with 2 100s and 3 50s from 25 matches when chasing 300+ totals against non minnows.

107(116) 1(1) 1(1) 29(35) 39(43) 63(82) 17(21) 7(10) 5(12) 109*(124) 3(8) 47(57) 34(34) 0(11) 36(45) 5(9) 1(8) 28(30) 19(29) 4(5) 31(48) 7(13) 47(56) 76(103) 79(70)

Again, contrary to what is believed, Tendulkar easily outperforms a rather mediocre Dravid in 300+ chases. Perception, in this case, isn't reality.