Turbinator: the allrounder we were desperate for ?

hari504504

hes a bowler who can bat' date='just like Kumble used to be.i dont think he has the technique or temperament to be an allrounder[/quote'] with all due respect - Kumble was a decent bowler, but WAS A pure tail ender. How many times have we had any hope of him digging India out of a batting-collapse whenever he walked in under those circumstances ? - He has had his moments with the bat..but nowhere near as consistent as Bhajan has been recently. Technique/Temperament ? - Afridi has any of these ? He's still a handy all-rounder to have in any side. I only take exception in persisting with Yousuf Pathan and Jadeja in the ODIs when there are good batting/bowling prospects waiting in the wings
with all due respect - Kumble was a decent bowler' date= but WAS A pure tail ender. How many times have we had any hope of him digging India out of a batting-collapse whenever he walked in under those circumstances ? - He has had his moments with the bat..but nowhere near as consistent as Bhajan has been recently. Technique/Temperament ? - Afridi has any of these ? He's still a handy all-rounder to have in any side. I only take exception in persisting with Yousuf Pathan and Jadeja in the ODIs when there are good batting/bowling prospects waiting in the wings
He has got a test 100. Pure tailender cannot do that. He scored an 88 against hostile South African bowling at Eden Gardens. http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63725.html You really a genuine tailender can do that? Most recently on an unplayable surface when India was reeling at 91 for 6 he put on a 90 plus partnership with dravid and helped India win the match http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/239923.html
He has got a test 100. Pure tailender cannot do that. He scored an 88 against hostile South African bowling at Eden Gardens. http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63725.html You really a genuine tailender can do that? Most recently on an unplayable surface when India was reeling at 91 for 6 he put on a 90 plus partnership with dravid and helped India win the match http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/239923.html
Would you say he had the 'technique/temperament' to be anything more than a tailender ? Even Muralitharan/Saqlain have had his moments with the bat... but one-offs are not measuring yard-sticks

Harbhajan is just okay. I think too many people (including the selectors) make the mistake of thinking of him as a wicket taking bowler. Bhajji isn't anything special, just a good spinner when the conditions are helpful. If there isn't much turn on the pitch then Bhajji becomes pretty useless. As far as an allrounder? When I think of genuine all rounders like Kapil, Imran, Kallis, Sobers etc, I have to laugh out loud when some one mentions Bhajji as an allrounder. What was it that hari called jadeja/Pathan? Yeah, fake Bhajji! rofl

Would you say he had the 'technique/temperament' to be anything more than a tailender ? Even Muralitharan/Saqlain have had his moments with the bat... but one-offs are not measuring yard-sticks
In comparison with Bhajji, Kumble was a much better bat. Fact is neither of them is all rounder. An all rounder is capable of playing purely as a batsman or purely as a bowler (Flintoff, Cairns, Kallis). Neither of them are remotely qualified purely as a batsman. First of all let him bowl properly. He has been crap oflate. Only guy who looked like a top order batsman was Irfan Pathan.
Harbhajan is just okay. I think too many people (including the selectors) make the mistake of thinking of him as a wicket taking bowler. Bhajji isn't anything special, just a good spinner when the conditions are helpful. If there isn't much turn on the pitch then Bhajji becomes pretty useless. As far as an allrounder? When I think of genuine all rounders like Kapil, Imran, Kallis, Sobers etc, I have to laugh out loud when some one mentions Bhajji as an allrounder. What was it that hari called jadeja/Pathan? Yeah, fake Bhajji! rofl
Was Kumble a genuine wicket taking bowler ? Bhajji's record isn't all that different from him , especially at same times in their career. On top of that, Kumble used to prowl on turning pitched that India had in the 90s which gave him significant advantage compared to spinners today who have to bowl on pattas.

Hmm, Kumble has outperformed Harbhajan in the last 2 tours to Australia. I think there should not be any comparison, IMO. Kumble never relied on too much turn to get wickets. It was accuracy, change in length, pace, flight, etc that made Kumble such a great bowler. Bhajji couldn't buy wickets on a square turner with the way he's bowling at the moment. :banghead:

Hmm' date= Kumble has outperformed Harbhajan in the last 2 tours to Australia. I think there should not be any comparison, IMO. Kumble never relied on too much turn to get wickets. It was accuracy, change in length, pace, flight, etc that made Kumble such a great bowler. Bhajji couldn't buy wickets on a square turner with the way he's bowling at the moment. :banghead:
Bhajji did better than Kumble ever has in NZ. Plus Kumble has sucked in OZ before...remember, Kumble was called HTB bowler before OZ 2003 trip. I have seen that mentioned a lot of times.
Was Kumble a genuine wicket taking bowler ? Bhajji's record isn't all that different from him , especially at same times in their career. On top of that, Kumble used to prowl on turning pitched that India had in the 90s which gave him significant advantage compared to spinners today who have to bowl on pattas.
nope. all of his 600+ wickets were all fakes. :giggle:
Bhajji did better than Kumble ever has in NZ. Plus Kumble has sucked in OZ before...remember' date=' Kumble was called HTB bowler before OZ 2003 trip. I have seen that mentioned a lot of times.[/quote'] Ok. Then their averages at home should be around the same: Yet, Kumble has the following record at home (career):
 	Span    Mat  	Inns  	Overs  	Mdns  	Runs  	Wkts  	BBI  	BBM  	Ave  	Econ  	SR  	5  	10  	
1993-2008  	63  	115  	3465.2  895  	8710  	350  	10/74  	14/149  24.88  	2.51  	59.4  	25  	7  	
And Harbhajan has the following record:
 	Span  	        Mat  	Inns  	Overs  	Mdns  	Runs  	Wkts  	BBI  	BBM  	Ave  	Econ  	SR  	5  	10  	
 	1998-2009  	43  	81  	2179.1  454  	5801  	214  	8/84  	15/217 27.10  	2.66  	61.0  	17  	4  	

If you consider from 2002-2008 (remember that starting from the SA series, Kumble was severely handicapped with his injury, and was the end of his career - ignoring Zim/Bang): Kumble's Avg: 30.23, S/R: 61.5 (from Statsguru - 1 Jan 2002 -> 1 Mar 2008 - I think that was the end of the Australia Test series of '07-'08), Wickets: 269, Matches: 51 Harbhajan's Avg: 33.23, S/R: 68.8, Wickets: 153, Matches: 37