Discussing the second test between Ind-BD at Dhakka, 2010

asterix

If we were to do a really honest post-mortem, its fair to say our batting was clearly caught slightly unawares in the first innings. A more frontline test team would have made us pay heavily for that blunder. We need to be more ruthless with our performance going forward.

with Murali replacing VVS.. its gonna ass pressure on Yuvi.. lets see who performs well.. If murali performs exceptionally well.. yuvi's place is under risk...
Good. Yuvi is the last person who should take his place for granted. Poor Dravid is under pressure most games in case they randomly decide to drop him, while this guy fails too regularly

My recommendation for the lineup: - persist with Mishra, who manages to pick up wkts (which is what counts) - keep Sree as well - VVS is injured but replace him with Bhajji - Dhoni replaces Karthik I think Ind can squeeze in a win by scoring around 700 runs in the test and with 5 bowlers hopefully we can bowl BD for 500 runs (avg 250 per inning)

The need of the hour is to make a strong statement about the failing fitness, energy and fielding levels of Yuvraj. One cannot go from being the best fielder in the subcontinent to one of the worst in the world in a season! He has to work hard and get back to where he was. His batting too has been thoroughly exposed at the highest level. However, Dhoni has exhibited the disquieting tendency to have Yuvraj in the squad no matter what. So, I guess that means that Yuvraj will retain his place in the side and we would have Dhoni come in for VVS with Karthik and Sreesanth retaining their places. In the event that Sreesanth's injury is serious, then Tyagi may take his place. But I hope it does not come to that. Also Harbhajan should replace Mishra - despite his useful contributions with bat and ball. He was not impressive as a leg spinner. He was defensive most of the time bowling wide outside the off stump. He does not have much choice considering his angle of approach and his release which is very close to his right ear. The big thing he has got going for him is big turn on the googly. But that alone will not make him penetrative at the highest level. This might sound unfair given his performances but context must be taken in as well. This is, after all, Bangladesh - with all due respect. ________ Patriciaa

The need of the hour is to make a strong statement about the failing fitness, energy and fielding levels of Yuvraj. One cannot go from being the best fielder in the subcontinent to one of the worst in the world in a season! He has to work hard and get back to where he was. His batting too has been thoroughly exposed at the highest level. However, Dhoni has exhibited the disquieting tendency to have Yuvraj in the squad no matter what. So, I guess that means that Yuvraj will retain his place in the side and we would have Dhoni come in for VVS with Karthik and Sreesanth retaining their places. In the event that Sreesanth's injury is serious, then Tyagi may take his place. But I hope it does not come to that. Also Harbhajan should replace Mishra - despite his useful contributions with bat and ball. He was not impressive as a leg spinner. He was defensive most of the time bowling wide outside the off stump. He does not have much choice considering his angle of approach and his release which is very close to his right ear. The big thing he has got going for him is big turn on the googly. But that alone will not make him penetrative at the highest level. This might sound unfair given his performances but context must be taken in as well. This is, after all, Bangladesh - with all due respect.
Sree bowled against same Bangla team n had match figures of 2/108
Which could very well have turned out to be 4 or 5 with some luck. :) Mushfiqur was surprised by him even in his 90s. That should count for something, right? I did not argue that he was bowling exceptionally well. Neverthless I dont see it as grounds for sitting him out in the next game.
n yet u r for dropping Mishra despite him getting 50 n 7 wickets in the match:hysterical:
n yet u r for dropping Mishra despite him getting 50 n 7 wickets in the match:hysterical:
Maybe I was not being too detailed there. Selection decisions would have to depend greatly on the nature of surfaces too on offer. With Harbhajan fit, if we are to go with one spinner, who do you think we are going to go with? If it is a similar sort of wicket, then I see the same trio of fast bowlers operating (provided Sreesanth is fit) with Harbhajan coming in for Mishra. Alternatively if we think aggressively and go for 5 bowlers, I would be very very happy. I have not seen this kind of aggressiveness in Dhoni or to be fair in the Indian think tank. So, I doubt if that would happen. ________ Vaporizer Review