Fixed calendar can save Tests in India - Dravid

Feed

Indian skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni has said that every country should play a minimum number of Test matches every year. More... ICC should stipulate minimum number of Tests per year: Dhoni Express News Service Posted: Tuesday , Dec 29, 2009 at 0038 hrs Updated:Tuesday , Dec 29, 2009 at 0839 hrs New Delhi: Neither Virender Sehwag, the man who had a strange sense of foresight about the Ferozeshah Kotla pitch, nor the man who was involved in deliberations over what eventually happened, Mahendra Singh Dhoni, were willing to comment any further on the abandoned ODI on Sunday. “It was the first match which I played and got abandoned. ICC officials will discuss and take a decision,” Dhoni said. But the Indian skipper was more than willing to provide ideas to the ICC for popularising Test cricket and mooted the proposal of fixing a minimum number of Test matches per year, urging boards to increase the number of Tests in bilateral series. “We can have a minimum number of Test matches annually. In a year’s span there could be a minimum number of Tests and one-dayers to play. And after that, if institutions like ECB and BCCI think they have to play more Tests, it’s welcome,” Dhoni said, highlighting the Indian board’s efforts to include two more Tests against South Africa to increase their chances of remaining on top of Test ratings. India, who recently, became the No 1 Test team are slated to play only two Test matches against Bangladesh in the next 11 months. “It is difficult to have a specific formula as it all depends on the FTP (Future Tours Programme) which is fixed three-five years before and different nations play different number of Test matches. But we can have a minimum number,” he added. Dhoni, however, took a guarded stance on the concept of day-night Test matches that are seen as a way to infuse more interest in five-day cricket. “It’s difficult to answer about day-night Test matches. It’s a pro-active step being taken. We will have to see how the fans respond. We will have to wait,” he said. No overkill Dhoni also brushed aside the claim that there’s an overkill of cricket. “I think we are playing the same amount of cricket which we have been playing in the last eight years. Only Twenty20 matches have come up since the launch of the Indian Premier League. “The BCCI also says that if you need rest, you can opt out (of a series). It’s a big decision. And players can be rotated. And if somebody has a niggle he can be rested so that that niggle do not convert into an injury,” he said on the sidelines of launching his individual website, along with Sehwag, Harbhajan and Ishant. Sehwag, meanwhile, cited how own example to state that Ishant would soon force his way into the national team and a dip in form is temporary. “This time comes in the life of every cricketer. I was also dropped in 2007. He (Ishant) He will play a few Ranji matches and I am sure he will make a comeback,” he said.

“The BCCI also says that if you need rest, you can opt out (of a series). It’s a big decision. And players can be rotated. And if somebody has a niggle he can be rested so that that niggle do not convert into an injury,†he said on the sidelines of launching his individual website, along with Sehwag, Harbhajan and Ishant.
Rotating players is not something Dhoni is very fond of even when we have a couple of good people waiting in the wings. Badri, Murali,Mishra,Ojha,Tyagi never got a chance due to rotating even after being in the squad a few times. They get a chance only when someone or injured or dropped. Nitini played 0 games in IPL 2nd season because he went with the same 4 out 5 foreign recruits. Same with locals. Until someone is dropped he never replaces them.

I think a minimum number of tests per year is quite a good idea. That way, it'll never happen to teams like India that they'll have 16 tests in one year (2002) and just 4-5 tests any other year (2003, 2010). England, Australia and to an extent even SA have defined a particular period for their home tests and they have a minimum number of tests during that period (6-7). But teams like India don't define their home series every year. Some year they might have one test series, some year 2 and some year even three. Why can't India define a period for its home series like Oct-Nov and Feb-March? In these 4 months we can have 2 test series of 3 tests each and two one day series of 5 ODIs each. And for any away tour to Australia or SA we can give December and January, if we have to play them away or else, just relax during that period and take part in our own domestic cricket! What do you guys say? Can India plan its own home season of international cricket in advance?

I think a minimum number of tests per year is quite a good idea. That way, it'll never happen to teams like India that they'll have 16 tests in one year (2002) and just 4-5 tests any other year (2003, 2010). England, Australia and to an extent even SA have defined a particular period for their home tests and they have a minimum number of tests during that period (6-7). But teams like India don't define their home series every year. Some year they might have one test series, some year 2 and some year even three. Why can't India define a period for its home series like Oct-Nov and Feb-March? In these 4 months we can have 2 test series of 3 tests each and two one day series of 5 ODIs each. And for any away tour to Australia or SA we can give December and January, if we have to play them away or else, just relax during that period and take part in our own domestic cricket! What do you guys say? Can India plan its own home season of international cricket in advance?
Don't see why not. If the BCCI wanted to make it happen, don't see any reason why they couldn't. It all depends on IF they want to do it

Dravid hails BCCI initiative Rahul Dravid welcomed the BCCI’s recent initiative of trying to schedule more Tests matches for the Indian team in a calendar year. More... Dravid hails BCCI initiative Bangalore: Rahul Dravid welcomed the BCCI’s recent initiative of trying to schedule more Tests matches for the Indian team in a calendar year. “I am happy with the development. Playing Test matches is very important and I do believe that 10 Tests per year is ideal,” the former India captain said here on Wednesday. India is scheduled to play two Tests against Bangladesh and two Tests against South Africa in the forthcoming weeks.

‘Play more & Tests will hold their own’ : Dravid I think Tests are as exciting and competitive in India, but in a different way. Here the conditions are different and hence challenges too are diverse. One needs to adapt to different conditions, and that’s the beauty of this format, says Rahul Dravid in an interview with Subhash Rajta. More... ‘Play more & Tests will hold their own’ Subhash Rajta, Hindustan Times January 09, 2010 Rahul Dravid seems to have become an eternal optimist. Hi is absolutely happy with how his career has panned out, and feels all is well with the cricketing world. The former India skipper shared his thoughts with Hindustan Times over a range of issues. What are you looking forward to now? Any specific goals you have set for yourself before calling it a day? I have never set any goals, at least not in terms of numbers of runs or matches. I just go out to enjoy the game and play to the best of my abilities and that’s what I intend doing till the last day of my career. You smile with satisfaction when you look back at your career or do you wish certain things could have panned out slightly differently? I am pretty happy with how my career has unfolded. There are obviously going to be some high and lows when you have been around for so long at the First Class and international level. But all that has been a part of the learning curve and I have enjoyed the journey. 167v32r.jpgThere’s lot of talk doing the round about the future of Test cricket. Where do you Test cricket heading from here? I am very positive about the future of Test cricket. A lot of youngsters I know want to play Test cricket. Obviously, there are some challenges, like that of scheduling. If we can find time to play enough Tests, the format will hold its own. The concern becomes more pronounced for the Tests being played in the Indian sub-continent? What needs to be done to make it as exciting and competitive as in counties like Australia, South Africa and England? I think Tests are as exciting and competitive in India, but in a different way. Here the conditions are different and hence challenges too are diverse. One needs to adapt to different conditions, and that’s the beauty of this format. But far more Tests end in drab draws or one-sided contests in India than in countries like Australia, England and South Africa? The one-sided contests are perhaps also a reflection of how well we play at home. We dominate the proceedings through and through, and don’t give opposition a chance to stage a come back. Having said that, I am all for playing on wickets that allows an even contest between bat and ball. That will make Tests a great challenge for players and a fine spectacle for the spectators. Pakistan skipper Mohammad Yousuf blamed T20 for their surprise defeat in Sydney. Where do you stand in this T20 versus Test debate? I can’t speak for Pakistan or Yousuf, but what I can say with certainty is that young Indian cricketers want to play Tests. Moreover, I believe that it’s possible to acquire the required skills to excel in all three formats without compromise on the other. So, I don’t see any conflict between T20 and Test cricket. What significance does being the top Test ranking hold for you? It’s a great achievement, the culmination of the effort we have put in over the years. We don’t go into the match thinking about our rankings. The idea is to play good cricket, and the rankings will take care of itself. A youngster benefits a lot if he walks into a side that’s doing well. The success rubs off on him as well, giving huge boost to his confidence.

Fixed calendar can save Tests in India - Dravid

Rahul Dravid has called for India to follow a set domestic calendar within which they would play their annual quota of home international games to secure the future of Test cricket. Speaking on Cricinfo's fortnightly discussion show Time Out, Dravid suggested India use its clout in the world game to regularise its calendar, which other cricket boards would need to accommodate for the good of cricket, said the three-Test format was the ideal standard for international cricket, and emphasized the importance of competitive pitches to make Test cricket more interesting. India's international schedule has been characterised by ad-hoc arrangements, including the recently-concluded Test series against South Africa. The introduction of a set domestic calendar which included fixed dates and venues, Dravid said, could help draw more crowds to stadiums, particularly in Tests, which have struggled to retain their popularity in India. "We must have our own domestic calendar, or six or seven months that are ideal for us to play cricket. And play our quota of six Tests and a certain set number of ODIs during that period, and then work around that," he said. "If we do that, at least during those six or seven months, everyone knows there's going to be cricket in these venues. That's very important. "Everyone around the world needs to recognize that Test cricket needs to thrive in India. Everyone knows now that it is important Test cricket succeeds in India for it to succeed worldwide as well," he said. "People have to come to this realization in some other countries and recognize that India now needs to have a set international calendar for the benefit of the world game really." Dravid felt the format remained highly sought-after by India's current crop of young cricketers like Suresh Raina and Rohit Sharma, though he expressed worry over the uncertain priorities of the country's next generation of cricketers. "I think they say the right thing. They talk the talk, there's no doubt about it. But there is no all-consuming desperation for them like it was for myself or cricketers of my generation to do well in Test cricket. First-class and Test cricket were the only cricket we had. Today there are more opportunities. "I'm not even worried about the Rainas and the Rohit Sharmas today; they've grown up in an era when Test cricket was important. But I wonder what a 14-15-16-year old today is thinking. I wonder what what's going to happen five years ahead and that's why it's important to play more Test matches." Dravid agreed Test cricket was received differently at various cities across India, and said the financial viability of state associations had much to do with the selection of venues in the country. India's series-leveling victory against South Africa in Kolkata was witnessed by 35,000 fans on the final day, a contrast to a virtual no-show in the first Test in Nagpur. "There is a huge buzz in certain cities," he said. "Maybe it all comes down to commerce and finally, the viability of things. Every state association is trying to use that Test match or ODI to run its whole program for a year, or a couple of years sometimes. "But I wonder sometimes whether it's actually viable for some of these associations and smaller venues to hold Test matches, and whether they need to be given the option themselves. But I guess spectators these days don't really make up a large part of the revenue, so maybe that's a factor." Dravid also spoke in favour of holding three Tests in an international series, as opposed to just two against South Africa or the planned series against Australia later in the year, which fall outside the framework of India's domestic calendar. "Three Test matches is ideal," he said. "In my whole career now, I've played only one Test series [against West Indies in 1997] which has included five Tests and in the olden days that [five Tests] was the norm. In this case, with the talk of the Australian series coming up, these have come in outside of the calendar." Most Tests played in 2009 have yielded results and proved competitive. Dravid singled out the preparation of sporting pitches with bounce as "critical" in ensuring the trend continued. "Going ahead, if you want Test cricket to survive, you've got to ensure that they are played on good cricket wickets that give everyone a chance," he said. "Bounce is a critical factor. If you have wickets that have bounce, it allows people to play shots as we've seen with [Virender] Sehwag, Sachin [Tendulkar] and [VVS] Laxman in the last series, and even with [Hashim] Amla. You have people who play shots and play positively, but it also gives the fast bowlers and the spinners enough later on to keep them all interested in the game."
http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/449624.html As usual The Wall talks very intelligently and makes some very pertinent points.

Interesting that the article has a link to another article from 2007 where Rahul said much the same thing about scheduling a proper home season. No doubt he will be making the same (entirely sensible) suggestion three years on when retired as well, while the BCCI tries to cram in yet another list minute series depending on which form of the game India are doing well in at the time...

What domestic schedule .. it will be a side show to the IPL, champions trophy and all the other possible nautanki that is part of the game these days. Add to that the peaceful atmosphere created by the friendly neighborhood of ours, you cannot be sure whether a team will tour or not. To have such a schedule, the BCCI needs to show resolve towards having test cricket as the premier form of the game; as if thats gonna happen!

Is BCCI willing to listen? Will BCCI ever constitute a committee that listens to and incorporates such suggestions? Will BCCI ever make any decision for the benefit of cricketers and the cricket-watching public? Will BCCI make any decision that is not based solely on money?

It's not even complicated to draw up a regular home/away schedule - just with a minute of thought I came up with one which would fit a 4 year cycle : India plays 2 home series every year - one in October(cycling through Australia, Sri Lanka, England, and West Indies) one in March(cycling through Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, and Bangladesh). In between, they play one away series in December cycling against Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, and Pakistan (assuming there are ties with them). And they play one away series in the summer cycling against West Indies, England, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh. That's 12-14 tests per year (depending on the length of the series) - home and away against all opponents in a 4 year cycle with a regular and predictable home season.

Yes Dravid is right we should have fixed schedule like England and Aussies have , they know they will play 6 tests every summer and every boxing day and 2nd Jan every year there will be test matches in Melbourne and Sydney.Same with England they have fixed summer tests every year. How come India with all its clout cannot have fixed number of tests every year so players along with public know India will be playing 6 tests at home every year that coupled with overseas tours they should play minimum of 10 test every year.This way they not only will generate interest in tests for now but also in future. They should cut the crap of playing tests in places where people dont show up for tests.Mumbai Kolkatta and Chennai , they have to host test matches every years with other venues rotated for other tests.