Are urban Indians becoming excessively stupid?

Mariyam

It depends on the individual. Who are we to decide, where should one be at times of an art festival, attending the festival or in a lounge, sprawling over the couch, and watching an EPL game ? It depends on the person's taste, some may like football and some may love art galleries and live plays more, so you can't say that the urban India is retarded or something similar. The point is, the priorities for people are different. And surely, the live plays, and skits are not all that popular among the masses of Mumbai, so that is why it doesn't excite them may be :dontknow:

^^^^^ Gaurav, you don't get the deeper point behind the initial post. Football has laid waste to the societies it has managed to get grips on. In an earlier post, I had already established how watching football leads to increased stupidity and how general stupidity leads to watching football. Its a vicious circle from which there is no escape. Don't take my word for it, but just look around. History will give you ample proof. England were a world power once upon a time. But once football became popular among the youth there, they lost their empire. Plot football popularity in England vs Area of British empire chart and you will see my point. Germany produced many great scientists, philosophers, math guys and tyrants. However, once football became big in that country, they too have become an irrelevant nation. Now they only produce footballers, cuckoo clocks and some fancy cars. :(( I'm just warning you of the social evils that are accompanied with being a football fan.

S=G, Why do you keep equating following an IPL side which is not form your city to following a football league side from England? The two are not comparable. A group of Lucknowiites don't certainly behave as if they are Mumbai born and raised just because they support MI. Do they use terms like 'we' , 'our' etc while talking about MI? Do they speak in Mumbaiya slang while supporting MI? Do they go into a fake fit of anger/depression/paranoia when MI loses a game against KKR?

^^^^^ Gaurav, you don't get the deeper point behind the initial post. Football has laid waste to the societies it has managed to get grips on. In an earlier post, I had already established how watching football leads to increased stupidity and how general stupidity leads to watching football. Its a vicious circle from which there is no escape. Don't take my word for it, but just look around. History will give you ample proof. England were a world power once upon a time. But once football became popular among the youth there, they lost their empire. Plot football popularity in England vs Area of British empire chart and you will see my point. Germany produced many great scientists, philosopher, math guys and tyrants. However, once football became big in that country, they too have become an irrelevant nation. Now they only produce footballers, cuckoo clocks and some fancy cars. :(( I'm just warning you of the social evils that are accompanied with being a football fan.
you talk abt scientists n tyrants in the same vein:laugh: :laugh:

^^^^^ Gaurav, you don't get the deeper point behind the initial post. Football has laid waste to the societies it has managed to get grips on. In an earlier post, I had already established how watching football leads to increased stupidity and how general stupidity leads to watching football. Its a vicious circle from which there is no escape. Don't take my word for it, but just look around. History will give you ample proof. England were a world power once upon a time. But once football became popular among the youth there, they lost their empire. Plot football popularity in England vs Area of British empire chart and you will see my point. Germany produced many great scientists, philosophers, math guys and tyrants. However, once football became big in that country, they too have become an irrelevant nation. Now they only produce footballers, cuckoo clocks and some fancy cars. :(( I'm just warning you of the social evils that are accompanied with being a football fan.
WTF???? You make it sound like producing tyrants is a good thing and producing fancy cars a bad thing. footballers, cuckoo clocks and fancy cars??????? really?????? :ohmy:

A group of Lucknowiites don't certainly behave as if they are Mumbai born and raised just because they support MI.
I take offense. I am a Lucknow waala and you can address me as Lucknowia, but it hurts my ears and eyes to see something like an 'ites associated to my city. I feel more than following football, this is a sign of getting into global trends with which you have no root association with.

I take offense. I am a Lucknow waala and you can address me as Lucknowia' date=' but it hurts my ears and eyes to see something like an 'ites associated to my city. [/quote'] Terribly sorry. I had no intention to demean Lucknow or its people. I will use "Lucknowia" henceforth. When speaking in Hindi/Urdu we generally address a person from Lucknow as "Lakhnavi" . Is that wrong? Sometimes, out of affection we just call him/her chikan.
I feel more than following football, this is a sign of getting into global trends with which you have no root association with.
Maybe. But football stands out. The emotional attachment and the whole play acting thing doesn't happen when Metallica fans discuss their music or Tom Hanks fans discuss his movies.

Terribly sorry. I had no intention to demean Lucknow or its people. I will use "Lucknowia" henceforth. When speaking in Hindi/Urdu we generally address a person from Lucknow as "Lakhnavi" . Is that wrong? Sometimes, out of affection we just call him/her chikan. Maybe. But football stands out. The emotional attachment and the whole play acting thing doesn't happen when Metallica fans discuss their music or Tom Hanks fans discuss his movies.
Lakhnavi is a tehzeeb ka address, but even if you want to demean us don't do it with the 'ites. Lucknowa or Lucknowia is a demeaning address. As for the football fad, it seems to be way before my time.

Sir, you can't take some people as yardstick for rest of city. What % of people watch EPL ? Look it up. I am glad you are attending the right events along with me :) While, I am a HUGE football fan, I do find it odd how Indians who seem crazy about football react to it. I mean I love the way Arsenal and Barca play the game but I really don't give a f#$% who wins the league, since I have no stake in it.

Sir' date= you can't take some people as yardstick for rest of city. What % of people watch EPL ? Look it up. I am glad you are attending the right events along with me :) While, I am a HUGE football fan, I do find it odd how Indians who seem crazy about football react to it. I mean I love the way Arsenal and Barca play the game but I really don't give a f#$% who wins the league, since I have no stake in it.
Sir, I don't recollect attending any events ( right or wrong) with anyone who addressed me as 'sir'. :confusedman: :confused:

Yup, that was deeper point

I am sorry to say but Mariyam has degenerated into a flame-baiting troll :(( Hence proving the age old saying that chicks can't last outside the kitchen for too long without messing up.
Meh, you guys are just missing the sarchasm in all this and are getting wound up and sensitive for associating you with your 'town;-ites! Is Mariyam another avatar of anu-D?

You actually believe that Britain lost its Empire because of football :omg: Those "cuckoo clocks" and "fancy cars' are masterpieces of technical advancement in their respective fields and the German footballers are among the best in the World. p.s. I still fail to see how football (or any other sport for that matter) can lead to a lower IQ :winky: