Opening Ceremony Thread - ICC World Cup 2011, Dhaka, Bangladesh, Feb 17

Sid

I watched about half of it, rest is on rec to watch later tonight. :--D I thought it was fine. Not as flashy as Shakira's botty dance, but the Bangla national anthem singing was nice, the Rickshaw thing was creative, some of the songs were kinda boring but overall was good. Now onto the games and some ass kicking. :isalute:

It may have been boring to everyone but from what I saw, the Bangla fans were aesthetic and restless. The beginning was boring until the speeches but it held it's own afterwards. It was much better than that IPL closing ceremony with Akon. It didn't have the flops and technical difficulties like the superbowl halftime show. All in all, it was well organized and excellently executed show.

The opening ceremony was spectacular in spite of all the mundane, pre-rehearsed speeches by the ministers....the aerial acrobatic cricket match on the 24 story building added the special zing to the overall event and the concept was brilliant! Amar Sonar Bangla -- The national song of Bangladesh was written by Tagore and the rendition was quite spectacular. Dhoni received a rousing cheer from the local crowd but the way spectators felicitated Shakib essayed their passionate support for the national team. What a proud moment for Shakib! Sonu Nigam's performance was simply deplorable Sharad Pawar's attempt at speaking Bangla provided unintended comic relief