Paul Valthaty

hari504504

What I like about this guy is that he is very down to earth. I didn't see either of his 2 MoM performances, but saw his post game interviews. After trashing CSK when he kept repeating that the track is a belter and thats why he got 120. And just when you think he couldn't get any more humble, comes the next MoM interview where he says that it was all due to luck. Typical Mumbai guy. Underplays all his achievements and exaggerates on all his flaws :P

but I don't see any player who played for India just because of IPL..Can You name?
Well...for IPL performance to count...Indian selectors needs to change their view of selection. eg after last year IPL....Uttappa & Pandey name comes to mind...that should have been given immediate chance in the Indian team. But the selectors didnt. For them...if IPL is just to make money for BCCI...then IPL performance will not count for anything. This year...Valthaty, Rayudu, Manoj Tiwari, Jadeja performace looks like a good improvement. Will have to wait & see if they continue that. But will the selectors take this IPL performance into consideration...will wait & see

Havent read all the posts except those on this page and it looks like a bunch of them think he is pretty good. Its great that a player has come back after a serious injury but he doesnt look like a player that will make good on the international level. For starters, his numbers beyond the two games are nothing to boast of. Then, his go to shot is just playing through the line of a good length ball. A half decent fast bowler can really stop that option. Plus, on a bouncy track, he'll simply be playing catching practice with the straight fielders. He looked totally at sea against Steyn, and not because of his lengths but just the pace. Having said that, if he does go on to perform in Ranjis and A teams, then kudos to him and good for us. It will be one of the more amazing comeback stories of all times.

He has a role in punjab team which he plays to perfection. I like his down to earth nature. He has admitted it is only a teeny tiny step forward. Age is definitely not on his side. But if you are going to put up a side tomorrow exclusively for T20 his name will definitely be in the reckoning. He is up against Gambhir/Viru. So chances are next to nothing. But i wish him well to do in other first class matches also.

Well...for IPL performance to count...Indian selectors needs to change their view of selection. eg after last year IPL....Uttappa & Pandey name comes to mind...that should have been given immediate chance in the Indian team. But the selectors didnt. For them...if IPL is just to make money for BCCI...then IPL performance will not count for anything. This year...Valthaty, Rayudu, Manoj Tiwari, Jadeja performace looks like a good improvement. Will have to wait & see if they continue that. But will the selectors take this IPL performance into consideration...will wait & see
Utahppa got injured and pandey just played 1 good innings. Players like Gony, Tyagi, Ashwin, Jadeja, all got into atleast the T20 side and the ODI side when the seniors were rested. If Valthathy ends up as one of the top scorers in the IPL, he will be bought in for atleast the T20s.

Utahppa got injured and pandey just played 1 good innings. Players like Gony' date= Tyagi, Ashwin, Jadeja, all got into atleast the T20 side and the ODI side when the seniors were rested. If Valthathy ends up as one of the top scorers in the IPL, he will be bought in for atleast the T20s.
Uttappa was not injured after last year IPL. Plus Pandey was hot also. They both could have been included in the T20 squad for the T20 WC...but selectors decided to ignore the IPL performances. Hoping this year for WI.....atleast for T20 & ODI series...for whom the seniors have request break....the selectors take the performance of IPL into consideration.

I would pick him ahead of Rohit murali vijay and Karthik ,saurabh tiwary, robin uthappa but not ahead of raina viru sambhir UV I am talking about T20 and one day. Where is manish pandey and that fast bowler KHAN.
But KHAN is 1 of the seniors who have requested BCCI for break. I think he deserve it also...plus it better to have him refreshed for Test matches.

Waingankar has been sending tidbits about Paul recently. wmakarand Makarand Waingankar At d age of 11 Paul was a medium pacer but soon Vengsarkar made him opening batsman in his academy. On his day he can destroy any attack. 13 Apr Favorite Retweet Reply wmakarand Makarand Waingankar Those who understand what attacking batsmanship is all about, Paul made them happy. Well done Paul. 13 Apr wmakarand Makarand Waingankar When Dilip Sardesai saw paul when he was 12 he had said Yeh lambe race ka ghoda hai. But state selectors converted him in gaddha. 13 Apr wmakarand Makarand Waingankar Pawarsaheb, Paul Valthaty is from Mumbai and ur selectors always ignored him. 13 Apr wmakarand Makarand Waingankar Hope MCA selectors were watching Paul Valthaty. That's talent my dear friend and selectors buggered it. 13 Apr wmakarand Makarand Waingankar Dhoni was spotted by TRDO P C Podar who was captain of Bengal in 60s. 6 Apr wmakarand Makarand Waingankar Dhoni,Gambhir,Raina, Chawla, Yusuf Pathan and Sreesath are products of Talent Resource Development Wing. They were spotted by TRDOs.

And some more...

Makarand Waingankar, who seen the boy from the time he used to hone his skills at the ELF Vengsarkar Cricket Academy, opines: “He’s a kind of player who may not play with regularity, knocks like the one he played on Wednesday, but he will win you games. I thought he batted very smartly. He kept playing off the back foot for most part and murdered the Chennai bowling.” Valthaty joined the Vengsarkar Cricket Academy at the age of 11 as a medium-pacer. “Once during an under-14 game he opened the innings and massacred the opposition attack. That’s when one first saw the brutal side of his batting,” Waingankar recalls. The veteran cricket scribe smsed him on Wednesday morning to keep him pumped up: ‘You hang around for 10 balls and rest of the time the bowlers will be watching you.’ Waingankar is happy that he heeded the advice and didn’t play any rash shots early on. “He just played in the ‘V’.” Valthaty was part of the India Under-19 team for the 2002 World Cup in New Zealand that had players like Irfan Pathan and Parthiv Patel. “He suffered an eye injury when he was hit by a ball in one of the matches. When you suffer an injury like that it obviously affects your confidence. And that’s exactly what happened with him,” Waingankar says. At 27, Valthaty isn’t exactly young, yet he can be optimistic about breaking into national reckoning by the sheer weight of Wednesday’s innings. For good measure, his pyrotechnics was seen by none other than Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni behind the stumps. “I hope Dhoni is not as blind as the Mumbai selectors to what unfolded in the middle on Wednesday,” Waingankar says, a touch upset. Former Indian captain Dilip Vengsarkar, who saw Valthaty go through the paces at his academy, was pleased to see his one-time ward come up with a special knock. “He was at our academy for eight years before he joined Air-India. He always had the potential, but I think the eye injury he sustained really set him back.” Tiger Pataudi played international cricket with one good eye, so there is no reason why with two good eyes Valthaty cannot come good, as he showed against CSK.
LINK

And again...

Here is a case of a batsman with immense talent not getting recognition from the State selectors. When one gives undue importance to performance at the cost of talent, good players suffer. If performance is the only criteria at the State level, surely statisticians could select the team instead of experienced selectors. Valthaty has thoroughly exposed the selection process in the country. Despite doing well in the West Zone T20 league tournament this season (he was the second highest scorer for Mumbai) he wasn't picked for the knockout in the squad of 15! And within a couple of months he is impressive with both bat and ball. It seems that most of the IPL coaches missed what the Kings XI Punjab coach, Michael Bevan, saw. The point is he made an effort to assess the boy's talent during trials. Other coaches either chose to write him off as history or didn't want to watch as they had made up their minds after going through his scores. Valthaty says his captain Gilchrist keeps reminding him to back his strengths, something which Indian coaches or captains don't do. ‘Perform or go home' is the Indian mantra. Cricket is nothing but confidence and in Valthaty's case, it seems, he has been given the licence by Gilchrist and Bevan to enjoy the game.
LINK