Is Ashwin the genuine all rounder we are looking for?

What I meant that in India one spinner or other was going to get a 5 wicket haul. If Ashwin was not played' date=' then some other spinner would have picked 5-fer. We need to find a spinner whom we can rely to serve India across the globe. No need to be overjoyed with Ashwin's 6 wicket.[/quote'] seriously its not that easy.. and every spinner struggled in australia.. spinners wont survive if ur quick bowlers are crap..they can only hold one end form most part of game and tht too if quicks are bowling well form other end do u really think nay spinner can come in and take wickets like he did here ? also i have seen people praising philander,morkel,finn they havent done anything in subcontinent and have only don well at home and similar conditions how is that any different ?
Good bowler? yes Good Batsman? Hell no
legend Ashraful ( tiger no 1 !) = Test batting average 22.60 from 111 innings legend Tamim ( greatest ever tiger better than ones in jim corbett national park) = test batting average of 38.00 from 40 innings Ashwin test batting average 35.5 from 10 innings :clap:
What I meant that in India one spinner or other was going to get a 5 wicket haul. If Ashwin was not played' date= then some other spinner would have picked 5-fer. We need to find a spinner whom we can rely to serve India across the globe. No need to be overjoyed with Ashwin's 6 wicket.
:hysterical: Dude, you are talking like spinners get 5-fers in India every innings. No need to belittle home achievements just because we suck outside.

6/31 is not a mean feat against any team. Off spinners are not going to run through the Australian line up on their first tour to Australia - no one has. Ashwin is a very good bowler and should be persisted with despite the odd failure. He is more than capable of running through sides at home and will only improve away from experience.

Looks like I have become cynical after this 0-8. I am not going to buy any of these 6 wickets from Ashwin or Ojha, until they bowl well outside India. Ashwin was not impressive in Australia. But, I agree he is best option available with us in spin bowling department.
What I meant that in India one spinner or other was going to get a 5 wicket haul. If Ashwin was not played' date=' then some other spinner would have picked 5-fer. We need to find a spinner whom we can rely to serve India across the globe. No need to be overjoyed with Ashwin's 6 wicket.[/quote'] I am surprised at the amount of reaction my these two posts drew, even though I had clearly stated that Ashwin is best choice available in spin department for us. Well, may be I can attempt to clarify myself once more. At home India has done well and will continue doing so. In 90's we used to beat teams like this only - 93 England 3-0 with two innings victories, 94 SL 3-0 with 3 innings victories- but no body rated us. Nothing gonna help Indian team until we win (or atleast perform good) in SA and Australia and Eng with some regularity. Afer 0-8, I don't take any performance seriously unless I am confident that it is going to help us avoid 0-8's in future and Ashwin's performance in this test wouldn't give me confidence that now he would do better in Australia. Not saying that he is incapable of doing good in Australia, but I can't conclude that from his 12 wickets performce against an NZ side on Hyderabad wicket. Not only Ashwin, I haven't taken much notice of Pujara's 150+ score either. Even after this innings, I draw more confidence from the 10 runs that he had scored in Durban, stone-walling SA bowlers for some 50-60 balls. People may say, It is case of self-hatred or whatever, but 0-8 seem to have left a deep scar on me :). I haven't watched a single Indian cricket match with genuine interest since then and for this Hyd test, I didn't watch even a single ball.
I am surprised at the amount of reaction my these two posts drew, even though I had clearly stated that Ashwin is best choice available in spin department for us. Well, may be I can attempt to clarify myself once more. At home India has done well and will continue doing so. In 90's we used to beat teams like this only - 93 England 3-0 with two innings victories, 94 SL 3-0 with 3 innings victories- but no body rated us. Nothing gonna help Indian team until we win (or atleast perform good) in SA and Australia and Eng with some regularity. Afer 0-8, I don't take any performance seriously unless I am confident that it is going to help us avoid 0-8's in future and Ashwin's performance in this test wouldn't give me confidence that now he would do better in Australia. Not saying that he is incapable of doing good in Australia, but I can't conclude that from his 12 wickets performce against an NZ side on Hyderabad wicket. Not only Ashwin, I haven't taken much notice of Pujara's 150+ score either. Even after this innings, I draw more confidence from the 10 runs that he had scored in Durban, stone-walling SA bowlers for some 50-60 balls. People may say, It is case of self-hatred or whatever, but 0-8 seem to have left a deep scar on me :). I haven't watched a single Indian cricket match with genuine interest since then and for this Hyd test, I didn't watch even a single ball.
to cure 8-0 scar u need fast bowlers.. dont expect ashwin to do anything in australia,england ,south africa ashwin's main job should be to win us matches at hoe and support well abroad
I am surprised at the amount of reaction my these two posts drew, even though I had clearly stated that Ashwin is best choice available in spin department for us. Well, may be I can attempt to clarify myself once more. At home India has done well and will continue doing so. In 90's we used to beat teams like this only - 93 England 3-0 with two innings victories, 94 SL 3-0 with 3 innings victories- but no body rated us. Nothing gonna help Indian team until we win (or atleast perform good) in SA and Australia and Eng with some regularity. Afer 0-8, I don't take any performance seriously unless I am confident that it is going to help us avoid 0-8's in future and Ashwin's performance in this test wouldn't give me confidence that now he would do better in Australia. Not saying that he is incapable of doing good in Australia, but I can't conclude that from his 12 wickets performce against an NZ side on Hyderabad wicket. Not only Ashwin, I haven't taken much notice of Pujara's 150+ score either. Even after this innings, I draw more confidence from the 10 runs that he had scored in Durban, stone-walling SA bowlers for some 50-60 balls. People may say, It is case of self-hatred or whatever, but 0-8 seem to have left a deep scar on me :). I haven't watched a single Indian cricket match with genuine interest since then and for this Hyd test, I didn't watch even a single ball.
For next 9 tests just keep your thoughts in a locker. It is in India baby. .. We have to win here too. If we can white wash everyone in our way.. well and good. It is not like we are destroying oppositions at home. We pick a win and here and there to ensure we don't lose a series. India failed in the last tour to OZ and England. But that shouldn't hide the fact that our previous tours there were pretty good. Just sit and analyze why we failed in England/Oz. OUr seamers were the biggest culprits not the spinners. Second of all very very poor performance from openers. Viru and Gauti. third milddle order. Spinners were not expected to play a huge role anyway in Australia. Did you honestly expect Ashwin to come away with 25 wicket haul for the series.
For next 9 tests just keep your thoughts in a locker. It is in India baby. .. We have to win here too. If we can white wash everyone in our way.. well and good. It is not like we are destroying oppositions at home. We pick a win and here and there to ensure we don't lose a series. India failed in the last tour to OZ and England. But that shouldn't hide the fact that our previous tours there were pretty good. Just sit and analyze why we failed in England/Oz. OUr seamers were the biggest culprits not the spinners. Second of all very very poor performance from openers. Viru and Gauti. third milddle order. Spinners were not expected to play a huge role anyway in Australia. Did you honestly expect Ashwin to come away with 25 wicket haul for the series.
tbh after seeing recent south african series i think our batsmen were the biggest culprit and guess who were our best batsmen in this game too ?:winky:
India failed in the last tour to OZ and England. But that shouldn't hide the fact that our previous tours there were pretty good. Just sit and analyze why we failed in England/Oz. OUr seamers were the biggest culprits not the spinners. Second of all very very poor performance from openers. Viru and Gauti. third milddle order. Spinners were not expected to play a huge role anyway in Australia. Did you honestly expect Ashwin to come away with 25 wicket haul for the series.
Spinners can do well overseas only when seamers maintain pressure and allow spinners to bowl to their strength. If seamers fail like the way did in Aus and Eng, batsman can always dominate them.
Spinners can do well overseas only when seamers maintain pressure and allow spinners to bowl to their strength. If seamers fail like the way did in Aus and Eng' date=' batsman can always dominate them.[/quote'] And even our fast bowlers are not menacing that they can cover up for our batsmen - so batting has to be top notch for us.
People may say, It is case of self-hatred or whatever, but 0-8 seem to have left a deep scar on me :). I haven't watched a single Indian cricket match with genuine interest since then and for this Hyd test, I didn't watch even a single ball.
But the 0-8 has done nothing in you to remove the fanboy inside you who still believes Tendulkar can perform in those conditions 2 years later.
Ashwin is a bowler and should never bat higher than 8. Let's not try to make him something he ain't. If he continues to get 20s' date=' 30s, 40s and occasional 50s that's more than enough from him but let's not call him an all-rounder.[/quote'] hes got a ton,averages 35.did well in Aus wen all batsmen failed.certainly can be allrounder,not now,but can be in 2 yrs
hes got a ton' date='averages 35.did well in Aus wen all batsmen failed.certainly can be allrounder,not now,but can be in 2 yrs[/quote'] We shouldn't try doing so. Ashwin the bowler is much more important than Ashwin the batsman and I wouldn't want to put extra pressure on him and ruin him like we did with Irfan. Ashwin should bat at 8 and be treated like a bowler who can bat like Mitchell Johnson or Swann but should not be played as an all-rounder or asked to bat higher than no. 8
But the 0-8 has done nothing in you to remove the fanboy inside you who still believes Tendulkar can perform in those conditions 2 years later.
I could have answered this very easily, but I would not let you turn this in another Sachin bashing thread. All I can say is the even if Sachin scores a doubles in both of next test, it will not increase my expectations from Sachin or further my confidence on him for next Australian tour, in case he makes it.
We shouldn't try doing so. Ashwin the bowler is much more important than Ashwin the batsman and I wouldn't want to put extra pressure on him and ruin him like we did with Irfan. Ashwin should bat at 8 and be treated like a bowler who can bat like Mitchell Johnson or Swann but should not be played as an all-rounder or asked to bat higher than no. 8
yeah he can be like Pollock n Broad n they r called allrounders