US Election Debate

vvvslaxman

We have had this conversation' date=' at a distance, how US politics is going very much Indian way. I may be oversimplifying it but you will perhaps see that behind all the gloss is the same old playing to gallery mechanism at play.[/quote'] On the contrary US political discourse seems more theatrical and redundant. Today there are whole host of "real" issues that the country is debating on. It is very interesting times to be in India. Painful but dynamic. As for the debate, I think even those voting don't give damn about it. Most of the minds are made up. They ll choose to see it the way they want to. As for swing states, of they are still not aware of the similarity and differences of the two candidates then I don't see how substandard debates like this will make much difference. It is paegentry and just gives more talking time or everyone.

yup.. it is like they just want to win an argument like in a open forum. I don't think there was any honesty' date=' sincerity from either of them.[/quote'] Nailed it. The problem with debate and the campaigning is that it is no longer bout content. Just posturing. It is like two bands who know exactly which song to play for their audiences and have the comfort of not losing them. Seems like a pretty dishonest process to me. The structure is perfect. But lacks depth and content. Boxing match where both opponents know each other's moves. And best part, nobody hits anybody.

IMO the citizens should know who will lead the nation. Why is that a bad idea ?
In a parliamentary democracy, the majority party has the rights to elect a leader after the election. The choice of the leader in a parliamentary democracy can depend and ideally should depend on how segments of the winning party did. But regardless, this is my fourth witnessing of an election in America and I can well understand why you are so excited about the long drawn out process of primaries, caucus, incumbent, challenger, debates. Give it one or at the most two rounds and you'll be bored to death with the same inanities spoken from different platforms.

In a parliamentary democracy, the majority party has the rights to elect a leader after the election. The choice of the leader in a parliamentary democracy can depend and ideally should depend on how segments of the winning party did. But regardless, this is my fourth witnessing of an election in America and I can well understand why you are so excited about the long drawn out process of primaries, caucus, incumbent, challenger, debates. Give it one or at the most two rounds and you'll be bored to death with the same inanities spoken from different platforms.
I know why in India parties don't have to declare a leader, all I'm saying is that they should as it will help people decide whom to vote for. Oh and I don't think I will even follow the next race this closely but I support Obama and trust me when I tell u that I told my wife that Obama will be US president one day after watching him on Jay Leno way before he ever spoke about being the president (or at least I knew of) so I trust this guy and maybe have a soft spot as I think he gets criticized for his race and when he won I felt like we as human race have come a long way.. From slavery to Obama. Oh also because Bush was a ****ing moron and I was happy to see someone make sense. Next elections, I probably won't be this interested.

I know why in India parties don't have to declare a leader, all I'm saying is that they should as it will help people decide whom to vote for.
You got me wrong - I wasn't trying to explain to you the technicality but was trying to give the reasoning behind it. Let's say there is an election in UP and some popular guy from Eastern UP is declared as the CM candidate from BJP and BJP comes to power but it turns out that he could carry only 20 out of 80 Eastern UP seats. Doesn't someone who carried 70 out of 100 Western UP seats deserve to lead the party? And therein is the difference between the two systems. I am not against debates - or rather hogwash - but in a parliamentary democracy declaring the leader beforehand goes against the fundamentals of every segment being ruled by a parliament.
Oh and I don't think I will even follow the next race this closely but I support Obama and trust me when I tell u that I told my wife that Obama will be US president one day after watching him on Jay Leno way before he ever spoke about being the president (or at least I knew of) so I trust this guy and maybe have a soft spot as I think he gets criticized for his race and when he won I felt like we as human race have come a long way.. From slavery to Obama. Oh also because Bush was a ****ing moron and I was happy to see someone make sense. Next elections, I probably won't be this interested.
Chalo, ek baar mein hi tripti mil gayi!

I feel Romney won in throwing points ouit there, seeing eye to eye, sort of cross-examination. The context, truth - I am sure many Americans don't know about it! But, this guy looks like a total phoney who wants to sell you a time share, coz it all seemed like a wonderful sales pitch - I will create 12 million jobs - bana bechare americans ko chauthhiya

I feel Romney won in throwing points ouit there, seeing eye to eye, sort of cross-examination. The context, truth - I am sure many Americans don't know about it! But, this guy looks like a total phoney who wants to sell you a time share, coz it all seemed like a wonderful sales pitch - I will create 12 million jobs - bana bechare americans ko chauthhiya
He has dug a whole for himself, poor Paul Ryan will have to pay for it next week when the VP is going to ask him to explain the BS Romney sold last night

for all my disappointment and excitement' date=' thefunny thing is that I dont even get to vote in amreeka :rofl:[/quote'] all you people are at least in Amreeka and are therefore discussing Amreekan politics but here I am (and some others) living in "mera Bharat mahaan" and discussing whether Obama is better or Romney is better :giggle:

Oh and I don't think I will even follow the next race this closely but I support Obama and trust me when I tell u that I told my wife that Obama will be US president one day after watching him on Jay Leno way before he ever spoke about being the president (or at least I knew of) so I trust this guy and maybe have a soft spot as I think he gets criticized for his race and when he won I felt like we as human race have come a long way.. From slavery to Obama.
That is also the reason many left leaning middle of the line folks, like yours truly, felt let down by Obama. Obama's political rise had quite a bit to do with him being a man of principles. Somebody who thought an American was no different than a Zimbabwean, somebody who was well read and well intended and willing to take the tough stance. In the era of sceptics he was one of the few that people actually beleived and rallied behind. well he lost it all in a matter of few years. He would still win, but not as a principled man we all wanted to see win. The politician shall win.

Obama's fake charm from 2008 is exposed. I thought of him as a Messiah as the media portrayed him to be, a man who cares about all, but he is quite the opposite. Obama is an Anti-American President. Connections with terrorists (Bill Ayers), supremacists (black panther party), America haters (Rev. Jeremiah Wright), helped bring Islamists in power (Egypt, Libya, etc), but did not help the one country that wants to throw the Mullahs out (Iran), does not support energy independency (keystone pipeline), thrives on race baiting and government dependency (food stamps and obamacare). FORWARD FORGET

That is also the reason many left leaning middle of the line folks, like yours truly, felt let down by Obama. Obama's political rise had quite a bit to do with him being a man of principles. Somebody who thought an American was no different than a Zimbabwean, somebody who was well read and well intended and willing to take the tough stance. In the era of sceptics he was one of the few that people actually beleived and rallied behind. well he lost it all in a matter of few years. He would still win, but not as a principled man we all wanted to see win. The politician shall win.
That's gullible of people to think the American President can administer on noble principles. There are millions poured into elections by special interests that it is not possible for any president to have his way in the administration. The message from Obama 2008 campaign was of the change as people were fed up of Bush's 8 years. At that time, people were feeling 'anybody-but-Bush', even Mickey Mouse would have won against Bush/Republicans. I never believed the BS that Obama and his campaign were spouting about 'Change in Washington Politics'. Everybody in the arena is a career politician. I still voted for Obama based on liberal principles (pro-choice, immigration, etc). Economy/Fiscal policies is not of much concern because of my present state of doing well financially. I think most in the region would feel that way.

That's gullible of people to think the American President can administer on noble principles. There are millions poured into elections by special interests that it is not possible for any president to have his way in the administration. The message from Obama 2008 campaign was of the change as people were fed up of Bush's 8 years. At that time, people were feeling 'anybody-but-Bush', even Mickey Mouse would have won against Bush/Republicans. I never believed the BS that Obama and his campaign were spouting about 'Change in Washington Politics'. Everybody in the arena is a career politician. I still voted for Obama based on liberal principles (pro-choice, immigration, etc). Economy/Fiscal policies is not of much concern because of my present state of doing well financially. I think most in the region would feel that way.
Dont neccessarily disagree with that, except some of that judgement simply comes with age and how much cynical/practical life has made you. The impact is severe in the younger lot, who hadwhole heartedely supported Obama even though they had always hated politics for most part. The same lot is clearly disillusioned and Obama camp burning midnight oil to light back the fire.

Obama's fake charm from 2008 is exposed. I thought of him as a Messiah as the media portrayed him to be, a man who cares about all, but he is quite the opposite. Obama is an Anti-American President. Connections with terrorists (Bill Ayers), supremacists (black panther party), America haters (Rev. Jeremiah Wright), helped bring Islamists in power (Egypt, Libya, etc), but did not help the one country that wants to throw the Mullahs out (Iran), does not support energy independency (keystone pipeline), thrives on race baiting and government dependency (food stamps and obamacare). FORWARD FORGET
Are you Sean Hannity ?