Vijay Appreciation thread.

Vijay impressed me when after successful Aus test series, he was failing in the IPL. The Anchor asked him about his poor form he said for me test cricket matters the most. :hatsoff: He just needs to keep the same attitude.
:two_thumbs_up: Also a great human being as proven in the Chit Chat thread
This was not even close to off stump. He could have left both on line and height. He has to improve his judgement. I was totally surprised by Kohli's leaves. Similar aggressive player. But showed immense restraint. He is younger than Dhawan. So Dhawan has to work hard leaving as much as he could atleast at the start.
I wasn't talking about today's dismissal.I think it was just concentration lapse after drinks break. but generally he has to play at them as they are swinging it into him as opposed to going away from RHBs. Dhawan should improve though.even Kohli was chasing wide ones not too long ago.But much better now.
I wasn't talking about today's dismissal.I think it was just concentration lapse after drinks break. but generally he has to play at them as they are swinging it into him as opposed to going away from RHBs. Dhawan should improve though.even Kohli was chasing wide ones not too long ago.But much better now.
That is what i was talking about. He looked pretty much settled. Not really bothered by anything. This is the kind of performance SA bowlers expected from all our batsmen. Dangling the bat outside the off. Hope he learns from his peers. Considering it is young group it will be easier to exchange these ideas.

If he plays hook and pull shot, I'm his fan. I'm not saying he isn't good, but leaving all the short pitch deliveries....not a big fan of it..hook or pull are the hallmark of a batsman who has a good backfoot technique which is necessary on pitches like SA. But again, no one is gonna complain if he plays like this and scores runs, but its just me who thinks he needs to play hook and pull. Even dravid developed the pull and hook shots later in his career. So, I hope he plays it in the future.

If he plays hook and pull shot' date=' I'm his fan. I'm not saying he isn't good, but leaving all the short pitch deliveries....not a big fan of it..hook or pull are the hallmark of a batsman who has a good backfoot technique which is necessary on pitches like SA. But again, no one is gonna complain if he plays like this and scores runs, but its just me who thinks he needs to play hook and pull. Even dravid developed the pull and hook shots later in his career. So, I hope he plays it in the future.[/quote'] Raina plays pull all the time except ball goes straight up in the air :cantstop: Do you like him?
Raina plays pull all the time except ball goes straight up in the air :cantstop: Do you like him?
No.but dravid played the pull shot , it went for fours and sixers and I liked it. Pull doesn't mean you have to play it like Raina. As I said even dravid developed it later part of his career.
No.but dravid played the pull shot ' date=' it went for fours and sixers and I liked it. Pull doesn't mean you have to play it like Raina. As I said even dravid developed it later part of his career.[/quote'] Also when you are in SA without much practice , going for pull and getting out like Dhawan did would be a stupid thing to do. Vijay is much better puller than you imagine. He infact pulls infront of the wicket .
Also when you are in SA without much practice ' date=' going for pull and getting out like Dhawan did would be a stupid thing to do. Vijay is much better puller than you imagine. He infact pulls infront of the wicket .[/quote'] There is no pleasing some people. He didn't bat well on monday and doesn't play pulls after nearing 100. who cares he put india in a good position.

In SA the ball can get big on you - let M. Vijay play conservative rather than hook/pull and risk a top edge. This is Test cricket and preserving your wicket is utmost, not necessary to play all Viv Richards or Brian Lara shots. Yes Dravid could play those shots too. BUT - It is very good that MV realizes that he is nowhere close to Dravid's calibre, and he is far lower in the ability rung. It is great if he realizes that truth and plays within his limitations to avoid dangerous shots and score conservatively. If he can be like Akash Chopra who blunted the attacks and if MV can score the 40s (in 100 balls) and occasional 70+ (in 160 balls) then he is doing good.

^ Its easier said than done. This shot doesnt come naturally to subcontinent batsmen and its a risky shot if you dont know how to control it.
It is a risky shot for any player in bouncier conditions. That is one of the easiest "get out" shots if you make slightest error in judgement. As i said in other thread leaving bouncer is much harder. Some of the bouncers he left was priceless. It was right at his body. He just kept his head and hands away brilliantly. Same kind of deliveries every England batsmen could neither pull nor avoid and ended up getting out.
Also when you are in SA without much practice ' date=' going for pull and getting out like Dhawan did would be a stupid thing to do. Vijay is much better puller than you imagine. He infact pulls infront of the wicket .[/quote'] playing hook or pull earlier is a bad choice like dhawan did. But when he is set, I would like him to see the hook and pull if the ball is there to be hit. I remember pujara didn't play a hook Last match till he got set. He did hooked steyn once he got set. That's what I want to see from Vijay as well. Just to give a message to the bowlers that they just can't keep on bowling short pitch deliveries.