Sachin Tendulkar ,and Professor CNR Rao awarded Bharat Ratna-PMO

Doesn't make it right.
Not saying what is wrong or right here...Forget Dhyan chand for a second,Guys like Geet Sethi and Anand have accomplished almost at the same level in their respective sports...Bharat Ratna is not just given as an accomplishment in a particular field but also as to how much of an ambassador you have been to your country. For eg;That tall Chinese Basket Ball player gets to hold th Chinese flag in opening ceremonies despite China having 100's of olympic winners every time.There are a lot more things usually associated with such honours. Having said that this particular award at this juncture and the timing of it is politically motivated no 2 doubts about it but if you put a sportsman in this elite club than no doubt SRT should have been the first one.
Why were they in such a rush, is Sachin going anywhere other than getting bonus points from fans. They have politicized our nation's highest award which is too bad.
Its not like they have made the decision overnight. Such awards are planned much in advance after discussing at length. In others' cases there are no landmark events like retirement, for a deserving sportsperson - (someone like Sachin, who deserves solely on basis of his active part of career) - it makes sense to award at the retirement time. Edit: But I agree with vvs's point that, it is kind of taking sheen away from retirement. But such has been sach's life - kuchh kare tou bhi controversy, kuchh nahi tou bhi.
Not saying what is wrong or right here...Forget Dhyan chand for a second' date='Guys like Geet Sethi and Anand have accomplished almost at the same level in their respective sports...[b']Bharat Ratna is not just given as an accomplishment in a particular field but also as to how much of an ambassador you have been to your country.
There's no magic formula to measure it.
Deserves it but viswanathan anand also
Nope, the award is not given just for excellence in sports. Sports does not make any difference in a person's life on a big scale The award is more for touching million of people life for 24 years, for inspiring millions. The tears you saw from the fans, so many people being touched, time being stopped. That is what matters more than how many world cups you win "Gem" of India should be someone whom people identify with, whom people pray and cry for when he represents them
Nope, the award is not given just for excellence in sports. Sports does not make any difference in a person's life on a big scale The award is more for touching million of people life for 24 years, for inspiring millions. The tears you saw from the fans, so many people being touched, time being stopped. That is what matters more than how many world cups you win "Gem" of India should be someone whom people identify with, whom people pray and cry for when he represents them
Please tell me how many people identify with Mr.Rao??
JD(U) MP Shivanand Tiwari questions Bharat Ratna to Sachin Tendulkar PATNA: A Janata Dal-United MP on Monday questioned awarding India's highest civilian honour, the Bharat Ratna, to cricketer Sachin Tendulkar instead of legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand. "I fail to understand why Dhyan Chand was ignored and Sachin Tendulkar was given Bharat Ratna," JD(U)'s member of parliament Shivanand Tiwari told mediapersons here. Tiwari said the ministry concerned had shortlisted the name of Dhyan Chand for giving the Bharat Ratna. "Dhyan Chand was incredible for having taken hockey to international level for the country when there was no corporate and powerful media. His magic impressed even fascist leaders of Germany who offered him money, comfortable and luxurious life but Dhyan Chand stuck to India," he said. "Sachin Tendulkar was not playing free of cost. Sachin has made crores of rupees by helping corporates to market cricket in the country," Tiwari said. Tiwari said the Bharat Ratna has lost its importance now. "It is time for a nationwide debate on Bharat Ratna and to whom it should be given. If latest trend is any indication, then it could be given to any corporate sponsored leader," Tiwari said. After Tiwari questioned Bharat Ratna to Sachin Tendulkar, JD(U) spokesperson said the party has nothing to do with Tiwari's statement. JD(U) chief and Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar, however, welcomed Bharat Ratna to Sachin Tendulkar. Scientist CNR Rao and cricketer Sachin Tendulkar will be conferred the Bharat Ratna. Their names were announced on Saturday, the day Sachin Tendulkar played his 200th and last Test match of his career in Mumbai. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/JDU-MP-Shivanand-Tiwari-questions-Bharat-Ratna-to-Sachin-Tendulkar/articleshow/25984575.cms

An Indian honour Sachin Tendulkar is not the first of India’s sporting heroes: there were several before him, and even some after 1989, the year he made his international debut.

Sachin Tendulkar is not the first of India’s sporting heroes: there were several before him, and even some after 1989, the year he made his international debut. That he became a nonpareil sporting icon is not only due to his feats on the cricket field, which were without doubt many, but also because of the times he lived in. Tendulkar’s rise as an unprecedented nationwide hero-phenomenon coincided with India’s growth into a major economy, a period when the country’s rapidly growing middle class followed the game on television and drew in advertisers and sponsors. The master-blaster gave ordinary Indians a chance to think of themselves as world-beaters, even if not in a truly global sport. For them, Tendulkar filled a void larger than the hole in the Indian team’s middle-order. For a generation starved of heroes, and short on confidence, he served as a source of inspiration and motivation. Even when Indian cricket got mired in charges of fixing and bribery, Tendulkar was left untouched. And in the eyes of his fans, he could do no wrong, whether on or off the field. The extraordinary outpouring of emotions at his farewell match on his home ground in Mumbai was thus not unexpected. Indian cricket is now on a high, and he might not leave as big a hole as the one he filled 24 years ago, but for India’s cricket fans the game would not be the same anymore. Given his popularity and iconic status, the Central government obviously did not want to lose even a day in honouring him with the Bharat Ratna. For some years now, the cricketer’s fans in high places have been quite vocal in demanding a Bharat Ratna for him. Indeed, the rules governing eligibility for the highest civilian award were modified two years ago apparently to keep the doors open for Tendulkar to receive the honour on his retirement. As per the revised criteria, it can be awarded for exceptional performance in any field of human endeavour. After having nominated him to Parliament last year, there was little doubt that the Congress-led government would take the first opportunity to honour him. And that opportunity came the day the Mumbai Test, Tendulkar’s 200th, ended. To be conferred the award is one thing; to force a change in the eligibility criteria for the award is quite another. It was almost as if the award would lose some of its sheen if Tendulkar were not among the recipients. At 40, the cricket icon is the youngest ever to receive the award. Unlike many others who have received the honour in the last six decades, he did not have to wait for the award; the award waited for him. The honour was India’s, as much as Tendulkar’s.
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editorial/an-indian-honour/article5364837.ece?homepage=true

Any quotes from the man himself on how it is an honour to be awarded the nation's highest civilian award? I haven't seen any quotes from any other cricketer except - http://ibnlive.in.com/news/cricketnext/i-am-proud-i-played-with-bharat-ratna-sachin-tendulkar-anil-kumble/435306-78.html

"I am extremely proud that I played with the Bharat Ratna (Tendulkar). Certainly he deserves a truly rich award," Kumble said.
Naturally, he wants his MI job.
I am glad SRT is keeping a low profile and I hope he continues doing the same......The way the new generation talk about 2 of our biggest Cricketing sporting icons who were almost as big as SRT(Kapil and Gavaskar) when I was a kid is sad
The way people deride and dismiss Sunny is really sad.
I am glad SRT is keeping a low profile and I hope he continues doing the same......The way the new generation talk about 2 of our biggest Cricketing sporting icons who were almost as big as SRT(Kapil and Gavaskar) when I was a kid is sad
The way people deride and dismiss Sunny is really sad.
the likes of Sunny, Kapil Dev and other legends of Indian cricket definitely deserve a lot of respect but in case of Sunny I will say that some of what he gets is justified - in the last few years he has completely given in to the BCCI and has been defending almost all actions taken by them even when many of those actions have been detrimental to Indian cricket.