Sachin Tendulkar-Vinod Kambli rift ..What is the main reason ?

Factually incorrect - Ambrose did not play in that series. But' date=' to an extent, I agree with some of your assessment.[/quote'] You are right ,it was Walsh and Kenneth Benjamin, when Prabhakar got injured and his nose was bleeding after he got stuck on the face by Benjamin. whole Indian team simply crumbled in fear that mohali test.

Don't know why people have sympathy for Kambli.......if you can't motivate yourself to give your very best while playing for the country.........you don't deserve to get selected.......the man has no regrets over the wrong decisions he made when he was still playing for India.......and neither should we feel sorry for him.......

:giggle:Then there would have been no dhoni in the team.Thin about it kambli would have been captain to who would have selected ur dhoni boy.Regionalism would have been rampant.
I did not mean as captain. Kambli was not captaincy material. Ganguly had an extended lean patch, during which most cricketers would have got dropped. Dravid had all the right attributes for captaincy.
I did not mean as captain. Kambli was not captaincy material. Ganguly had an extended lean patch' date=' during which most cricketers would have got dropped. Dravid had all the right attributes for captaincy.[/quote'] array if dhoni ,dravid,tendu can get years of lean patch why hate ganguly's lean patch.Ganguly more than made up after his comeback in sa.where except the media series he was very good in all series. If u look at gangulys test performance compared to his average- he had bad 2004/05 season and the nz tour before wc cup.
I dont care if Azhar was the bunny king himself. Atleast he tried. Kambli got booted off even the mumbai ranji team much earlier and was forced to retire cause he could not reign back his antics and turned up at practise drunk. even i dont treat sachin as god. At the same time i dont take a position against him for the sake of it. you seem to display the behaviour of a contratian. somebody who goes against the grain for the sake of being different.
How do you know Kambli did not try. Regarding his mumbai ranji issue ,Kambli was weak minded and everyone knew it then and now,thats why I felt he needed some slack. I always remember his unbridled joy he displayed when got those 100s and his sobbing in 1996 world cup. He was a kid who needed some direction but for whatever reason he never got it and we never know what he could have achieved given his talent.
array if dhoni ' date='dravid,tendu can get years of lean patch why hate ganguly's lean patch.Ganguly more than made up after his comeback in sa.where except the media series he was very good in all series.[/quote'] Dravid, Dhoni, Sachin (except for the last 2-3 years) never had that long a bad patch. And Dravid and Sachin are in a different league altogether. There was a time when Ganguly, like Azhar before him, kept his place in the team only because he was the captain. Look - all I'm saying is that if a player started out his career with such a bang, you don't drop him after just one bad series. He finished with a career average of 54 with 2 double centuries (in those days, hardly anybody in the team had scored even a single double century.... only Manjrekar had scored one). I felt he deserved another chance in Tests. He got plenty of opportunities in ODIs and didn't do well, but ODIs didn't seem to be his preferable format.
Dravid, Dhoni, Sachin (except for the last 2-3 years) never had that long a bad patch. And Dravid and Sachin are in a different league altogether. There was a time when Ganguly, like Azhar before him, kept his place in the team only because he was the captain. Look - all I'm saying is that if a player started out his career with such a bang, you don't drop him after just one bad series. He finished with a career average of 54 with 2 double centuries (in those days, hardly anybody in the team had scored even a single double century.... only Manjrekar had scored one). I felt he deserved another chance in Tests. He got plenty of opportunities in ODIs and didn't do well, but ODIs didn't seem to be his preferable format.
As is said ganguly did not have extended bad pathc in tests expect fro 2004/05.He struggled in odis and we had few tests those days and more odis . Ganguly had excellent 1996-2000 .It would have been laxman whom kambli would have been fighting with.But really kambli should not have been dropped in 1995.

Kambli's misfortune was that he was thrust into fame with little support systems. He came from poverty, became a star with no one to counsel him, and it destroyed him. BCCI could have supported him more, but it was a level playing field for everyone- back in the day no one got a lot of support anyway. But I also thought that Kambli lacked mental fortitude. Like Sadanand Vishwanath before him (who also hit the bottle hard) he was unable to harness his talent to hard work and discipline. In my opinion Kambli went as far as he could. Success in top level sport requires talent, luck and mental strength. Kambli had the first always, the second in enough quantities to get him to international cricket. The third he lacked, so he went as far as he could.

Although his current outburst has more to do with jealousy and the fact that Kambli lived a lavish lifestyle and is struggling to find means to pay for it now' date=' I feel Kambli got a raw deal from the selectors. Any player averaging in the 50s after just 17 Tests deserves more chances. I am pretty sure that if he had been given more chances, he would have ended up with a career record much better than Ganguly's. During times when Ganguly was struggling to score runs, he should have been given another chance.[/quote'] ganguly avged 45+ as non captain in 65 tests,avgs 42 outside home, avged 40 in wi,37 in saf,35 in aus,65 in england and most of these as middle order batsman..an avg of 42+ is good for a middle order batsman, playing with greats like dravid,tendu,laxman,his record looks bit weak but are pretty healthy for a middle order batsman in tests..kambli may or may not have stacked those avgs but during 2003-04 when ganguly was struggling,u seriously feel of all guys kambli should have been given another chance?
Factually incorrect - Ambrose did not play in that series. But' date=' to an extent, I agree with some of your assessment.[/quote'] May be , you're right ..it's almost 20 years and I can't remember all the details ..do remember that we led the series 1-0 and in last tests at Mohali on a seaming and fast pitch , Windies blew away the India batting and dismissed it for 120 odd..I think other Windies bowlers apart from Walsh were Cameron Cuffy , Winston Benjamin or Kenny Benjamin and may be , Ambrose was there ( not sure ) ...It was still a pacy attack..:hatsoff:
Kambli's misfortune was that he was thrust into fame with little support systems. He came from poverty, became a star with no one to counsel him, and it destroyed him. BCCI could have supported him more, but it was a level playing field for everyone- back in the day no one got a lot of support anyway. But I also thought that Kambli lacked mental fortitude. Like Sadanand Vishwanath before him (who also hit the bottle hard) he was unable to harness his talent to hard work and discipline. In my opinion Kambli went as far as he could. Success in top level sport requires talent, luck and mental strength. Kambli had the first always, the second in enough quantities to get him to international cricket. The third he lacked, so he went as far as he could.
Kambli , Vishwanath and LAxman Sivaramakrishnan ' of the " Elevation but no distance " fame , are three crickets of 80s and 90s who could not handle their initial success and faded away ..that's why , it 's even more creditable to acknowledge How Sachin kept him head in almost a quarter century of unbridled success and fame , which was infitely more than these guys ever had .:omg:
How do you know Kambli did not try. Regarding his mumbai ranji issue ,Kambli was weak minded and everyone knew it then and now,thats why I felt he needed some slack. I always remember his unbridled joy he displayed when got those 100s and his sobbing in 1996 world cup. He was a kid who needed some direction but for whatever reason he never got it and we never know what he could have achieved given his talent.
You sound like an Umar Akmal fan.....
May be ' date=' you're right ..it's almost 20 years and I can't remember all the details ..do remember that we led the series 1-0 and in last tests at Mohali on a seaming and fast pitch , Windies blew away the India batting and dismissed it for 120 odd..I think other Windies bowlers apart from Walsh were Cameron Cuffy , Winston Benjamin or Kenny Benjamin and may be , Ambrose was there ( not sure ) ...It was still a pacy attack..:hatsoff:[/quote'] The part that I recall the most about that series was that Javagal Srinath was probably our most consistent batsman. That tells you how our batters fared ;)

i read somewhere that during the 1996 world cup, after a match in which Kambli scored a very useful century, probably against Zimbabwae or some team, he went berserk in the hotel after binge drinking and disturbed all the other players and some guests who were staying in the same floor. the coach and Manager did their level best but could not contain Vinod Kambli. Finally hotel security guys bundled him in a room. this incident was reported by the Team Manager ( not clearly remember, but may be Sandeep Patil). so, BCCI dropped him after world cup. if a player gets in to such incidents, and repeats and does not fall in line, who ever it is, he has to be disciplined. Kambli was disciplined. I think he was of a stronger mind cricket wise and he outshined sachin in a few matches when they batted together . it was really, really unfortunate that he could not even retain his place in the Ranji team of Mumbai. given his talent and track record till then, i am very sure, some one from Mumbai cricketing fraternity like Ravi shastri or Dilip Vengsarkar or Lalchand Rajput , who were involved in MCA would have sat down a few times with him to counsel him. thats the way Mumbai cricketers take care of their fellow players and especially those with such natural talent. ultimately, it depends 100% on the player himself to make a come back, mentors can only guide to some extent. each one should realise the situation himself and make the effort, it should come from with in. sadly Kambli could not manage it. he was such a talent. shame. India could have won a few more matches and we would have had many more happy moments. real shame.

i read somewhere that during the 1996 world cup, after a match in which Kambli scored a very useful century, probably against Zimbabwae or some team, he went berserk in the hotel after binge drinking and disturbed all the other players and some guests who were staying in the same floor. the coach and Manager did their level best but could not contain Vinod Kambli. Finally hotel security guys bundled him in a room. this incident was reported by the Team Manager ( not clearly remember, but may be Sandeep Patil). so, BCCI dropped him after world cup. if a player gets in to such incidents, and repeats and does not fall in line, who ever it is, he has to be disciplined. Kambli was disciplined. I think he was of a stronger mind cricket wise and he outshined sachin in a few matches when they batted together . it was really, really unfortunate that he could not even retain his place in the Ranji team of Mumbai. given his talent and track record till then, i am very sure, some one from Mumbai cricketing fraternity like Ravi shastri or Dilip Vengsarkar or Lalchand Rajput , who were involved in MCA would have sat down a few times with him to counsel him. thats the way Mumbai cricketers take care of their fellow players and especially those with such natural talent. ultimately, it depends 100% on the player himself to make a come back, mentors can only guide to some extent. each one should realise the situation himself and make the effort, it should come from with in. sadly Kambli could not manage it. he was such a talent. shame. India could have won a few more matches and we would have had many more happy moments. real shame.
I remember during the 2003-2004 India tour of Australia , during the commentary , there was a mention ohf him and Geoffrey Boycott asking Ravi Shastri what happened to him and why he is not in the scheme of things ..I distinctly remember Ravi Shastri urging him that if he was listening , he would urge him to still believe in himself and put the performances back to make his way back ..But I think by that time, he had lost focus ..He was more in news for his hairstyles than his cricket

Vinod Kambli thought full of himself that was one of the reason. He racked up runs against one of the worst English side ever to tour India and Zimbabwe. His weakness against bouncer and weakness on the leg stump would have been brutally exploited. He was a flair player. But not as attractive as Lara. Also his weaknesses were far too obvious. On his way to 227 Kambli had easy lives. at 13 one life and at 59 another life. Very chancy knock. For some reason Boycott was glorifying him.

Read the recent article in Wisden on the new comer Prithwi Shaw. It talks in detail about Kambli. Being from slums he consistently surrounded himself with low level people even while playing for India, who were only wanting to misuse his stardom, and this included his relatives/family members. Compare this with Sachin's family and relatives, one will know why Kambli did not make a come back. He has blamed every one / everything, including caste system discrimination for his failures.... aak thoo...

Vinod Kambli thought full of himself that was one of the reason. He racked up runs against one of the worst English side ever to tour India and Zimbabwe. His weakness against bouncer and weakness on the leg stump would have been brutally exploited. He was a flair player. But not as attractive as Lara. Also his weaknesses were far too obvious. On his way to 227 Kambli had easy lives. at 13 one life and at 59 another life. Very chancy knock. For some reason Boycott was glorifying him.
That is unfair to kambli.U cannot control whom u play against.If england was so poor everybody would have got a double.Cricket is game of luck,If cook had not been dropped by pujara of zak or given l.b.w in mumbai we might have won the series. Yes short ball was weakness but it has been for most indian players and they got extended run. He did score 2 40s in 1st tests against wi and zim were a decent side back then.He was treated unfairly that is a fact may be his antics were the reason but i am sure in todays time he would have got more chances.
That is unfair to kambli.U cannot control whom u play against.If england was so poor everybody would have got a double.Cricket is game of luck,If cook had not been dropped by pujara of zak or given l.b.w in mumbai we might have won the series. Yes short ball was weakness but it has been for most indian players and they got extended run. He did score 2 40s in 1st tests against wi and zim were a decent side back then.He was treated unfairly that is a fact may be his antics were the reason but i am sure in todays time he would have got more chances.
When he came back he didn't grab the chances. Besides Rahul Dravid, and Ganguly emerged. Laxman also started his career with a gritty 50. He was not alone. Manjrekar also lost his place. From the beginning i never rated him as a player. Very loose technique who enjoyed a golden patch.