Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

5 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

In an era of 3 formats and leagues, you can't expect fast bowlers to clock those speeds. Akhtar was only in this range between 1999-2003 and even then missed a lot of cricket and had to take it lightly on many days etc. 

Edit : Unless you are Brett Lee. But he is an outlier.

1999 - 2006

Several matches in 2004 and 2005 where he bowled 153 plus spells peaking at 156, 157 in tests, only to be outdone by the ridiculously flat pitches. By then he was a lot smarter and used other skills as well, hence the focus wasnt always on speed as it was until 2003. However he would turn it up when he needed to particularly with the old ball or if he smelled blood after a wicket.

His body began to fail him post 2007.

He was no longer himself, and ran with a limp after that. 

Edited by Axl100mph
2 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

The speeds are impressive but it's not unique. Lee has matched these speeds and at least in the 2015/16 season I'm convinced that Starc was somewhere in that range. Tait in T20's

But the scary thing about Akhtar was that he had this ability to produce some extraordinary deliveries that no other human, I think, has produced.  Not consistently in a spell but they usually came out of nowhere.  His short-of-a-length stuff when in rhythm probably only registered as 148 kph as opposed to 158 but they were life-threatening. 

He got Joel Garner'esque steep lift but around 8-10 kph quicker. Johnson hit that length at the same pace but the bounce was not as steep.  It's the stuff that felled Ganguly, Lara, Kirsten, etc. 

And THAT ball to Shane Watson is the single most lethal delivery ever in the history of cricket. Outrageous ball. A little fuller and I'm convinced Watson would have been killed on the spot. 

I dont think we will see another bowler like him. It was an absolute freak show when he was on song, and he liked being that.

A bowler who if he came before the modern/speedgun era, and his stories would be told today, then no one would have believed them because such a viewing experience can almost not be comprehended by today's fans. 

I read an interesting article on him on cricinfo which details how underrated he is.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/was-shoaib-akhtar-s-talent-overshadowed-by-his-sagas-1228435

Do check it out. 

2 hours ago, Axl100mph said:

1999 - 2006

Several matches in 2004 and 2005 where he bowled 153 plus spells peaking at 156, 157 in tests, only to be outdone by the ridiculously flat pitches. By then he was a lot smarter and used other skills as well, hence the focus wasnt always on speed as it was until 2003. However he would turn it up when he needed to particularly with the old ball or if he smelled blood after a wicket.

His body began to fail him post 2007.

He was no longer himself, and ran with a limp after that. 

I can't quite put my finger on it and maybe it's not just Tests and maybe it's not just the speed but I'm also thinking ODI's here. But Akhtar certainly lost something even a bit earlier than that. Maybe it's just that batsmen got better and pitches got flatter around 2002. But there was a serious fear factor about Shoaib from 1999 to mid 2002(this ODI series in Australia) that started disappearing. 

1 hour ago, MediumPacer said:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/wi-vs-ind-avesh-khan-ready-for-reboot-after-being-all-over-the-place-1390587

poor avesh

looks more of a red ball bowler according to his record.

His problem is loss of pace.

He was never an out and our express pacer but can hit 138-144 kph in short bursts.

Now even he is struggling to hit 140 and is operating in 130-137 range...not to mention that his pace is inversely proportional to number of overs he has to bowl.

Edited by singhvivek141
50 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

He was never an out and our express pacer but can hit 138-144 kph in short bursts.

Now even he is struggling to hit 140 and is operating in 130-137 range...not to mention that his pace is inversely proportional to number of overs he has to bowl.

Maybe after a long Ranji season he loses pace,needs to work on his action and fitness.

That Pakistani pacer In the A team tournament in SL looked a lot like Avesh,but his action and fitness looked much better.

1 hour ago, singhvivek141 said:

Avesh's biggest issue has always been sub-par fitness .... and unless he addresses this issue, he will always face problems. 

2 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

I can't quite put my finger on it and maybe it's not just Tests and maybe it's not just the speed but I'm also thinking ODI's here. But Akhtar certainly lost something even a bit earlier than that. Maybe it's just that batsmen got better and pitches got flatter around 2002. But there was a serious fear factor about Shoaib from 1999 to mid 2002(this ODI series in Australia) that started disappearing. 

Batsmen started getting better vs pace at the turn of the millenium because of the wider availability and improvement of training facilities such as bowling machines and sidearms. Combine that with the flatter pitches, particularly the ones dished out by coward pakistani captains who didnt want to be dragged out of their comfort zones.

Also, the bowling attack he was part of dropped significantly in quality once the W's retired which meant he had to some donkey work there too which adds to that whole perception value. 

On 7/30/2023 at 12:36 PM, Suhaan said:

With pace you can learn other things,but pace can't be taught

Generally,exceptions are always there

I know people will come with"pace is not everything", offcourse it is not

yes, those are the trundler lovers... pace is about half the battle. if you take a course, and the final exam is 50%, even if you do well in the rest and bomb the final, you will end up witha. poor grade.

13 hours ago, Suhaan said:

Avesh was operating in high 140s in 2018 IPL

Still had the problem of fluctuating with pace then as well,highest being at 148+

He and Mavi quite lit the IPL that year

Yeah..but after that it's all downhill for Avesh and Mavi.

One has become male version of Sharapova, other have become Bhuvi 2.0

Even in the 2020(2021) season where Avesh did decent, he had support of Rabada and Nortje from both ends. But his pace is on a decline ever since then.

1 hour ago, singhvivek141 said:

Yeah..but after that it's all downhill for Avesh and Mavi.

One has become male version of Sharapova, other have become Bhuvi 2.0

Even in the 2020(2021) season where Avesh did decent, he had support of Rabada and Nortje from both ends. But his pace is on a decline ever since then.

Look at shaheen's late swing on the stump cam

This is why batsmen struggle to pick him.

Mavi's inswing goes early and gets easily picked,due to his action and release,he also loses control if it swings too much and strays down leg,if it doesn't swing then gives too much width. Pace wise he is now similar to Romario Shepherd .