Speeds and Performances of Pacers and Spinners

1 minute ago, Forward Defence said:

Siraj was inconsistent with his lengths today. At times he found it but wasnt patient enough to persist. Will need him to do well in the second innings if we are to win.

he did well in patches, but this was not him at best. even Lord was down on pace and kept bowling noballs, although he got a couple of vital strikes. and ashwin failed to have any impact. we should be thankful for Shami, who stepped up big time.

8 minutes ago, Vijy said:

he did well in patches, but this was not him at best. even Lord was down on pace and kept bowling noballs, although he got a couple of vital strikes. and ashwin failed to have any impact. we should be thankful for Shami, who stepped up big time.

Shardul looked absolutely fatigued. Must work on his fitness. No balls made it worse.

Just now, Forward Defence said:

Shardul looked absolutely fatigued. Must work on his fitness. No balls made it worse.

yep, his fitness is very suspect. just like shaw - another guy will talent (and some flaws), but poor fitness. and Rohit keeps getting injured every series. there seems to be something about current mumba players and their fitness (lack thereof).

2 hours ago, express bowling said:

Shami hit the right line and length right away. Kept bowling in good areas while hitting the deck hard. 

Got consistent seam movement and bounce and zipped the ball through.

Used the conditions excellently and led the bowling unit excellently in the absence of Bumrah after his first spell.

Well deserved 5 fer and 200 test wickets !

His bowling reminded me of Philanders today. Only less accurate but quicker and a harder length. It's why he does well in saf. 

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

Siraj couldn't figure out the right length to bowl and overpitched often. It's better to err on the fuller side though. 

It's been a while since Shardul played I guess and it showed today. He seemed to have more stamina in January at the Gabba than he did today and was frequently blowing despite not even bowling all that much even with our main bowler down. He took time to get into rhythm but I get the feeling his bowling is less suited to saf than England or Nzl. 

5 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

Siraj couldn't figure out the right length to bowl and overpitched often. It's better to err on the fuller side though. 

It's been a while since Shardul played I guess and it showed today. He seemed to have more stamina in January at the Gabba than he did today and was frequently blowing despite not even bowling all that much even with our main bowler down. He took time to get into rhythm but I get the feeling his bowling is less suited to saf than England or Nzl. 

he did well enough in Oz, arguably the best bowler on both sides in 4th test. he has the heart of a champion, and decent skills with some limitations. he should work on his fitness first and foremost. many of the necessary skills and temperament are already there

9 hours ago, Vijy said:

he did well enough in Oz, arguably the best bowler on both sides in 4th test. he has the heart of a champion, and decent skills with some limitations. he should work on his fitness first and foremost. many of the necessary skills and temperament are already there

as long as he doesn't break down it will work since he is only a 4th bowler. he is not that young that he can go up a level fitness wise right now just by training. no domestic season also doesn't help i guess. 

What I look for in Top Fast bowlers ....

1)  Ability to hurry batsmen consistently with good length balls targeting the top of off stump. That is combining hurrying ability with accuracy while getting some late movement. This delivery is basically the stock delivery.

2)  Ability to get some balls to rear up steeply from just back of a length. Hit the batsmen on the knuckles and ribs or get them to fly through to the keeper. 

3)  Ability to bowl hostile bouncers.  

And the ability to vary lengths at will while keeping the line same. 

.... Resulting in consistent wicket taking ability and hostility. 

Bumrah .... Has all these 3 abilities. A complete fast bowler.

Shami .... Had all these 3 abilities from 2013 to 2020.  Despite being so short he could get the ball to rear up from just back of a length from time to time. 

After the WTC Final, I have hardly seen this delivery. (  Ability 2 )  He bowled magnificently yesterday but on more placid tracks, he would need this ball again.

Siraj ....  Hurries batsmen with good length deliveries when in good rhythm. Gets the ball to zip through really quickly and with accuracy and movement. But on a bad rhythm day he can look quite innocuous. 

Generally has a good enough bouncer.

But needs to improve his ability to get the ball to rear up from just back of a length. This will make him a more complete fast bowler. 

Edited by express bowling

In Marco Jansen, South Africa has probably found their next good fast bowler.

Just 21 years old but already bowling at 132 k to 142 k / 144 k.  He will get quicker by the time he is 23 or 24. Plus he is very tall.

Has a good enough channel ball ... good bouncer ... and gets the ball to rear up from just back of a length on occasions. He can bring the ball in a tad as a left armer and can slant it across. 

He has already improved his accuracy from the first innings.

Rabada

Nortje

Jansen

Olivier

All Uunder-30 Fast bowlers for S.A. 

Good to see a Fast bowling powerhouse like South Africa  continue with its supply line of Fast bowlers.

South Africa have handed a debut to 21 year old Jansen. He will become a finished product by age 24 or 25.

While we are debuting pacers at age 26 or 27 these days. 

I am sure Team India would have preferred the experienced Olivier ahead of raw Jansen.

But debuting Fast bowlers relatively young is important so that they are experienced when they are bowling at top pace, from age 24 to age 29/30.  We did the same with Bumrah and Shami and succeeded. 

Why have we forgotten this.