Tendulkar autobiography

Lord

1. Introduced an exciting brand of cricket 2. Aggressive induction of youth into the team whereas the team had been going stale before his arrival with a lot of old players and not enough youngsters. We all remember getting so excited by the induction of talented guys like Raina, Munaf Patel and Sreesanth to name a few. Its right and unfortunate that it didnt work out with thosse guys but their first couple of yeas were very exciting. Was a breath of fresh air after the lethagic and unimaginative performance in the home defeat to Pakistan. 3. Gave the seniors the wake up call that no one's place is guaranteed and if you dont perform then you can get the chop no matter what your name is. It is arguably cuz of this that they got their act together later, Few others but I think his biggest mistake was that he had a long term plan of 5+ years whereas he was to be judged on a 2 year contract and didnt change his own personality to suit indian culture..
1. Please explain "exciting brand of cricket" 2. You yourself are admitting that most of those selections did not work out in the long run. Firstly, these guys were not selected by Chappell, and secondly they got nowhere in their careers under him. Whiff of fresh air, lethargic and unimaginative performance etc are nothing but subjective words without any substance. Now for some facts - Raina averaged a mere 26 during Chappell's tenure. The only batsmen to shine consistently during Chappell's tenure were Dhoni and Yuvraj both of whom were not his finds. Almost all his moves flopped, he brought in the likes of Uthappa and Venugopala Rao and both of them flopped miserably. Sreesanth was a flop show in ODIs as well. Tests? The less said the better. The guy dropped someone like VVS for Yuvraj, in tests! That ain't whiff of fresh air mate. During Chappell's tenure, India won at home against SL, and away wins against Zimbabwe and WI. We lost in Pakistan, SA, drew at home vs England,
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/players-ban-chappell-from-dressingroom/story-e6frepmo-1226117732281
GREG Chappell is in danger of becoming the most high-profile casualty from Cricket Australia's far-reaching review following scathing reports from the players. National talent manager and the first fulltime selector, Chappell's relationship with the Australian players broke down so badly he was eventually banned from the dressingroom while the team was batting. One of Australia's greatest batsmen and captains, he was described as a "caustic" influence. "He drove us all mad," one player said. The players found Chappell such an unsettling influence in the dressingroom, particularly when they were batting, that they asked he be excluded. There were claims he undermined the coaching staff by becoming involved when he should have been a passive observer. At least one player complained Chappell told him he was in the team when he had been overlooked. He was also accused by another player of giving "mixed messages". Cricket Australia declined to comment until the report was made public. Chappell had an acrimonious two-year term as coach of India from 2005. The criticism of Chappell was part of damning critiques about the four-man selection panel to the review chaired by former mining and bank boss Don Argus, which was tabled at a Cricket Australia board meeting yesterday. Chairman of selectors Andrew Hilditch is expected to be restructured out of a job as CA appoints a fulltime chairman of selectors as part of a wider revamping of the panel. Hilditch was widely criticised for his poor communication skills and he became a public relations disaster for CA after refusing to take any responsibility for last summer's Ashes debacle. There was also criticism of part-time selectors Jamie Cox and David Boon because of their conflicts of interest with fulltime jobs at state level. There is also pressure on CA's second most powerful administrator, general manager of cricket operations Michael Brown, who received poor reports from the players. Many of the revelations by the players came before Simon Katich was recently sacked, pouring petrol on the simmering anger towards the selectors from all sides of the Australian cricket community. The seven-month review, commissioned after Australia's dreadful Ashes failure last summer, takes aim at all aspects of Australian cricket. It is expected to be released today. CA's antiquated board, failing development structures, a fading Sheffield Shield competition and the bloated contract system have all been heavily scrutinised. CA chief executive James Sutherland claimed the review was the most comprehensive examination of Australian cricket ever. "A wide range of people with elite sports performance expertise inside and outside cricket were asked to provide their full, frank and fearless views," he said. More than 60 people were interviewed. On the panel with Argus was former Australian Cricket Board and International Cricket Council chief executive Mal Speed, and former captains Allan Border, Mark Taylor and Steve Waugh. The far-reaching report into the fall of the Test team from first to fifth will highlight significant failures in development and the falling standard of the Sheffield Shield. In the past two years 22 players have represented Australia in Test cricket with seven being developed in NSW and three others, Simon Katich (WA), Shane Watson (Queensland) and Nathan Hauritz (Queensland) now playing for the state.
Just for some "Chappellnama" followers here. Couldn't even gel with his own players. The whole theory that Indians couldn't gel with "Australian aggressive" way that Chappell advocated goes out of the window. Katich was the only guy apart from Clarke who averaged more than 50 in test cricket for Australia since Ashes 2007. And Chappell dropped him for "whiff of fresh air". What a joke.
No matter what anyone says but we played our most exciting brand of cricket under Chappell. The series victories over Saffers and Pakistan were unbelievable esp as both teams were doing very well at the time. Dont think Ive seen us dominate good opposition in back to back series that convincingly.
The best part about Chappell-Dravid time was that we started winning ODI series/matches at home. Ganguly had an abysmal home ODI record. Essentially, this would go on to lay our steps towards the unbeaten season of 2010 and the 2011 WC win.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/players-ban-chappell-from-dressingroom/story-e6frepmo-1226117732281 Just for some "Chappellnama" followers here. Couldn't even gel with his own players. The whole theory that Indians couldn't gel with "Australian aggressive" way that Chappell advocated goes out of the window. Katich was the only guy apart from Clarke who averaged more than 50 in test cricket for Australia since Ashes 2007. And Chappell dropped him for "whiff of fresh air". What a joke.
Thanks to Michael Clarke and Andrew Hildtich. Sure, Chappel was part of it but no where close to the influence Clarke had. In 2009, Katich had an incident with Clarke and Clarke never gets over it. The same panned out for Michael Hussey too. Had it been ONLY Chappel, Katich would make a comeback once Hilditch went out and Inverarity came in - did NOT happen, thanks to the Clarke.

Unceremonious sacking as captain was humiliating: Sachin Tendulkar http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/top-stories/Unceremonious-sacking-as-captain-was-humiliating-Sachin-Tendulkar/articleshow/45056618.cms

NEW DELHI: Sharing his anger and pain after being stripped of the captaincy in 1997, batting legend Sachin Tendulkar has revealed that the "unceremonious" sacking was very "embarrassing" and "humiliating". Writing in his autobiography 'Playing It My Way', published by Hachette India, Tendulkar recalled the drawn three-match series against Sri Lanka, which preceded his sacking. "At the end of the series, I was unceremoniously sacked as skipper. No one from the BCCI managed to call me or inform me of my removal as captain before someone from the media called to say I was no longer captain," Tendulkar has written. Tendulkar, 41, said the being removed from the position made him more determined to play better cricket. "I was actually with my friends in Sahitya Sahawas. I felt extremely humiliated to hear this, but the manner in which the whole thing was handled strengthened my resolve to be a better cricketer in the years to come. "I told myself that the BCCI mandarins might be able to take the captaincy away from me, but no one could do the same as far as my own cricket was concerned," he wrote. Even as he vowed to do better, Tendulkar said the "sense of ignominy and the pain were still there". "During my tenure as captain some of the players used to call me 'skip', so when one of the players shouted out 'skipper' in our next engagement in Dhaka, I automatically turned around to answer the call. That's when it really hit me that I was no longer the captain of the Indian cricket team. "Now I simply had to focus on my batting and win some matches for the team. So that's what I did," he writes. Tendulkar also revealed that he was "so focused on doing well" that after losing his wicket in one of the matches in Bangladesh due to distraction caused by movement around the sight-screen, he yelled at the then Bangladesh Cricket Board President Ashraful Haq on his way back to pavilion. "I ended up shouting at someone who has since become a good friend. This incident, which has caused us both much embarrassment, took place in the second of the three finals of the Silver Jubilee Independence Cup in Dhaka in 1998. "There was a lot of movement in front of and around the sight-screen and, despite my repeated complaints, things did not improve. I was distracted and lost my wicket soon after. "On my way back to the pavilion I was livid and, when someone came across to apologise, I just screamed at him, saying Bangladesh did not deserve to host international cricket if the basic fundamentals were not in place. "Only later did I realise that the man I had yelled at was Ashraful Haq, then president of the Bangladesh Cricket Board and currently chief executive of the Asian Cricket Council. Ever since, whenever we meet, we start by saying sorry to each other for what happened!," he said Kapil as coach disappointed Tendulkar One of the finest Indian all-rounders of all time, Kapil Dev was a "disappointment" when it came to coaching, reveals batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar in his just-released autobiography 'Playing It My Way'. Tendulkar has claimed that he was left disappointed by Kapil during one of the Australia tours since the coach never involved himself in strategic discussions. In the chapter -- Tumultuous Times: India in Australia, November 1999-January 2000 -- Tendulkar has written that he had high expectations from Kapil. "During my second stint as captain, we had Kapil Dev as our coach. He is one of the finest cricketers to have played for India and one of the best all-rounders of all time, and I had great expectations of him in Australia. "I have always maintained that the coach's job is an important one, for he is in a position to play a key role in formulating team strategy. Who better than Kapil to come up with options for me during a tough tour of Australia? "However, his method of involvement and his thought process was limited to leaving the running of the team to the captain, and hence he did not involve himself in strategic discussions that would help us on the field," Tendulkar writes. The Indian batting great also shared his frustration on how some of his moves as captain did not pay off but the same strategy clicked when other captains employed it. Tendulkar talked about the 1997 Sharjah series where he promoted Robin Singh to bat at number three but the southpaw failed and he had to cop heavy criticism from the media. "The match against Pakistan on 14 December highlights how things were just not going my way. I was batting at number four in this competition, at the selectors' request. Sourav and Navjot Sidhu had given us a good start against Pakistan, and when Sidhu got out at 143-2, I sent in Robin Singh, the all-rounder, to accelerate the innings. It was a strategy I had given considerable thought to. "Manzoor Akhtar, the leg-spinner, was at one end bowling around the wicket to the right-handed batsmen. The theory was that Robin, a left-hander, would be able to negotiate his leg-spin better and also hit some big shots. However, Robin got out without scoring after just three balls from Azhar Mahmood, the medium-pacer, and the experiment proved a disaster. In the press I was criticised for sending in Robin ahead of me and the move was blamed for our defeat," Tendulkar recalled. "A month later, however, in January 1998, Azhar, back as captain, repeated the very same move in the final of the Silver Jubilee Independence Cup in Dhaka against Pakistan. Robin was sent in at three to keep up the momentum after Sourav and I had got off to a flier and this time Robin played a terrific hand, scoring 82 and setting up the run chase. "This was arguably a bigger gamble, because he was pitted against the off-spinner Saqlain Mushtaq and it is no secret that left-handers find it more difficult against off-spinners. "The same experiment was now hailed as a master stroke. Not without reason is it said that success has many fathers while defeat is an orphan," he wrote.
The best part about Chappell-Dravid time was that we started winning ODI series/matches at home. Ganguly had an abysmal home ODI record. Essentially' date=' this would go on to lay our steps towards the unbeaten season of 2010 and the 2011 WC win.[/quote'] and chasing.
Imagine him getting a farewell like Laxman and Dravid from Cricket. Would have cried that about that as well in the book.
Forget Sachin.....can you imagine the outrage that would have caused in India.....anyways what is wrong in revealing your feelings in your own autobiography :hmmmm: Am I missing something?
and chasing.
That too. I still remember the countless straightforward chases India have bungled up over the 90s and early 2000s. Chappell has on record assigned the credit of that turn around to Dravid. Apparently, Dravid kept winning the toss and decided to chase - no matter what the state of the series, the pitch or the opposition - win the toss and it was chase. Yuvraj Singh and MS Dhoni were the key executioners and now that tradition is carried forward by Kohli.