Speed and performance of medium pacers, trundlers and fast bowlers in Ipl

vishalvirsingh

Can he sustain this pace in 5 day matches ? Eagerly waiting to see what happens.
That is the main challenge. We have got bowlers who can touch 140k but I doubt if they are capable of bowling 90mph spells in test matches at the end of the day's play. Yadav and Aaron bowl at that pace effortlessly and Shami comes close. Not sure about the rest. Looks unlikely. Nevertheless IPL has exposed some decent T20 bowlers.. thats all.

That is the main challenge. We have got bowlers who can touch 140k but I doubt if they are capable of bowling 90mph spells in test matches at the end of the day's play. Yadav and Aaron bowl at that pace effortlessly and Shami comes close. Not sure about the rest. Looks unlikely. Nevertheless IPL has exposed some decent T20 bowlers.. thats all.
Srinath and Agarkar were 2 past pacers who sustained their speeds in all formats and over a long period of time. Nehra did it too but he was injury prone. Currently, as you said, Aaron , Yadav and Shami are the ones who can sustain their pace in all formats ....and have actually increased their pace over a period of time. It is a challenge for the others to do the same. Suyal looks like another bowler with natural speed.

Srinath and Agarkar were 2 past pacers who sustained their speeds in all formats and over a long period of time. Nehra did it too but he was injury prone. Currently, as you said, Aaron , Yadav and Shami are the ones who can sustain their pace in all formats ....and have actually increased their pace over a period of time. It is a challenge for the others to do the same. Suyal looks like another bowler with natural speed.
Agarkar barely bowled 140k.

Sandeep Sharma bowled around 5 to 6 deliveries above 140 k today in his first 2 overs. Bowled 144.9 143.x 142.x 140.7 140.x
With the amount of Swing Sandeep Sharma generates, he is a big threat even if he is bowling 135 -140 KPH which i am sure he can maintain in a Test match but i don't think he will do it in Ranji trophy as fast bowlers are being overused in Ranji because of grasslands and spinners don't get to bowl much plus Every match is back to back, only three-day gap between them. Check out this article on the fast bowlers getting overbowled in India by ex-India bowling coach: http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/868153.html

No Srinath nor agarkar were able to sustain speeds in tests.Srinath always struggled in his latter spells he is on record asking mongia to come up few paces when he slows down.Agarkar in tests barely could touch 140ks. I reality yadav and aaron are the only fast bowlers in indian cricket history who can be tagged as right arm fast in tests.

Sandeep Sharma bowled around 5 to 6 deliveries above 140 k today in his first 2 overs. Bowled 144.9 143.x 142.x 140.7 140.x
either I am Sleeping or drunk but when ever I have seen Sandeep Sharma he has been less than 135k...actually in 120's all the time even in this IPL...yes he has great swinging skills and is a straight pick if he can bowl between 136k to 139K with swing... bhuvi has slowed down and sandeep can replace him if he can sustain 136k speed. did he actually bowl above 140k? if so was it once in a blue moon kinda...

No Srinath nor agarkar were able to sustain speeds in tests.Srinath always struggled in his latter spells he is on record asking mongia to come up few paces when he slows down.Agarkar in tests barely could touch 140ks. I reality yadav and aaron are the only fast bowlers in indian cricket history who can be tagged as right arm fast in tests.
Almost every pacer slows down somewhat in later spells in tests. I am talking about bowling some spells in almost every test match which are close to that particular bowler's normal pace in LOIs....whether he is fast or fast medium or medium pace....and do this for many years. Srinath bowled some fast spells in almost every test match he played in the first 7 years or so. Similarly...Agarkar bowled quite a few fast-medium spells in every test match he played. Among the current lot ...I would like to see some spells of the following pace range in every test match they play Umesh 137 to 147 k.....happens Aaron 137 to 147 k.....happens Shami 135 to 145 k .....happens Bhuvi 130 to 137 k ....does not happen often Ishant 135 to 143 k...does not happen always. But happens sometimes.