Nathu Singh - Rajasthan fast bowler

Munaf Patel was another wasted talent. Had good pace, good bouncer and could reverse the bowl too. Then it all went downhill. I could not find his video of his debut match. But found his video vs WI. Watch Munaf bowl a good tight over at good pace with some really good bouncers.

Look at the bowling. Good pace and good line and lengths, getting bounce from awkward length. For me, he was the best fast bowling talent I have seen from India but he couldn't put the hard yards. If only he had half the determination of Ishant.

Edited by rkt.india

No even his debut match after his spell where he was 140ks+.he dropped down to 125ks in the same day.during Wi tour he was 130-145ks.After that he never touched 140ks consistenly even in few spells other than in nz.He always lacked stamina .

He used to slow down intentionally to conserve energy like Steyn does. This is how you bowl in test cricket. You cannot bowl fast all the time. Problme is his good days as a fast bowler lasted just till WI tour. After sustaining an injury after that tour, he slowed down in an attempt to emulate McGrath, changed his run up and load up.

Look at the bowling. Good pace and good line and lengths, getting bounce from awkward length. For me, he was the best fast bowling talent I have seen from India but he couldn't put the hard yards. If only he had half the determination of Ishant.

Way back in 2004 TOI had published an article about him.It mentioned him training under Lillee and how Lillee was very impressed.He was clocking 145ks regularly then.When Lillee left MRF couple of years ago he lamented that Munaf Patel was lost as he believed he was the best Indian fast bowling talent.

Munaf was asked by Chappel to reduce pace and concentrate on line and length.

As far as I know, and I remember, it was Venky Prasad who got Munaf to reduce his pace down. Venky has been responsible for decline of a lot of fast bowlers from India. Could be because he was never quick himself, and was always a shadow of Srinath who was genuine pace.

I remember I met Munaf a couple of years ago, in Empire hotel, churchstreet, bangalore. He was a very sweet guy, very soft spoken. But you could make out from his mannerism, that he was too soft a person, and did not have the aura or the aggression of a fast bowler.

As far as I know, and I remember, it was Venky Prasad who got Munaf to reduce his pace down. Venky has been responsible for decline of a lot of fast bowlers from India. Could be because he was never quick himself, and was always a shadow of Srinath who was genuine pace.

I remember I met Munaf a couple of years ago, in Empire hotel, churchstreet, bangalore. He was a very sweet guy, very soft spoken. But you could make out from his mannerism, that he was too soft a person, and did not have the aura or the aggression of a fast bowler.

Munaf, after his injuries, always played within himself and never went all out.  He did not want to get injured again, so he played with one eye on protecting himself.  He has said as much to friends and family...

He used to slow down intentionally to conserve energy like Steyn does. This is how you bowl in test cricket. You cannot bowl fast all the time. Problme is his good days as a fast bowler lasted just till WI tour. After sustaining an injury after that tour, he slowed down in an attempt to emulate McGrath, changed his run up and load up.

No steyn when he came did not try to slow down ,munaf just could not maintain his pace.He could never come back at fag end of the day and bowl quick.He just did not not work hard enough after he got success.He was advised by greg chappell to slow down and focus on his line.Its true nobody can bowl fast all the time but his speed in a spell varied too much showing lack of stamina and fitness.

It was chappel and his crony.

How in the world does a thread on Nathu Singh turn into an analysis on Munaf patel? Let us try and stick to the topic... i think it is exciting anytime you get a raw talent who is actually afforded an opportunity to learn from the best.

Unfortunately, looking at our bowling resources we should be thankful if we get 1 world class dominant bowler even if that means hyping up 100s of them so that they get noticed somehow. Let us really hope that this kid can show some potential in the warm up game against SAF (if he gets a chance to play that is).