A fast bowler India might have had

zen

I have followed indian cricket from 1996 and I can safely say most of early pacers were hyped up and failed short.Many bowlers could touch 140ks odd ball but lacked stamina to maintain pace we had many hyped of bowlers in 1990s .During 2000s Zak,nehra,Agarkar were quick in odis when they started but at test they were 130ks even abroad.Irfan pathan was hyped as he touched 140ks but he was only medium fast at test level and against batsman of countried who played pace well struggled.Next Came likes of sreesanth,R.p singh who were as good as talents india had in longtime Nippy pace with Ability to swing the ball.Sadly they never would fulfill their potential.Current lot is the best bowling combination in Indian Cricket history .

I have followed indian cricket from 1996 and I can safely say most of early pacers were hyped up and failed short.Many bowlers could touch 140ks odd ball but lacked stamina to maintain pace we had many hyped of bowlers in 1990s .During 2000s Zak,nehra,Agarkar were quick in odis when they started but at test they were 130ks even abroad.Irfan pathan was hyped as he touched 140ks but he was only medium fast at test level and against batsman of countried who played pace well struggled.Next Came likes of sreesanth,R.p singh who were as good as talents india had in longtime Nippy pace with Ability to swing the ball.Sadly they never would fulfill their potential.Current lot is the best bowling combination in Indian Cricket history .

Great sir, couldn't agree more 👍👍

On 11/1/2015 at 4:36 AM, express bowling said:

Indian pacers who have bowled fast after 1984 according  to my impression ( may or may not be fully correct as speed guns were not always there )

For multiple years

Javagal Srinath,

Ashish Zaidi,

Ishant Sharma ( alternate years ),

Umesh Yadav,

Varun Aaron,

Mohammad Shami ( some spells )

Upto a Couple of seasons 

Raju Kulkarni ( maybe ),

Salil Ankola,  

Sandeep Sharma ( old ),

Zaheer Khan,

Ajit Agarkar,

S. Sreesanth ( some spells ),

Munaf Patel,

VRV Singh, 

Salgaonkar.

Just now, Rightarmfast said:

Dont think Salgaonkar played for India but he may have been genuinely quick. 

He didn't play, but I was responding to an earlier post where even domestic players were listed. It is believed by most contemporaries (including Sunny G) that Sal was genuinely quick.

2 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

The guy who bowled in 150's was Sunil Singh, if I remember his name correctly. And the other guy who was genuinely quick was the guy who's video I posted here in 2011, Rehan Khan

Have not heard of either. One Sunil Singh from Jharkand was a batsman

3 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Have not heard of either. One Sunil Singh from Jharkand was a batsman

That's the exact point, there would be so many genuine quicks in India but they were never given chance. Bihar is not affiliated to BCCI for internal fights between BCCI and Bihar Board, hence none of the players are allowed to play domestic cricket.

3 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

That's the exact point, there would be so many genuine quicks in India but they were never given chance. Bihar is not affiliated to BCCI for internal fights between BCCI and Bihar Board, hence none of the players are allowed to play domestic cricket.

Obviously the potential of 1.3 billion people has not been harnessed properly

5 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

Sunil Singh used to play in 90's. He was playing during Srinath's time. But according to cricketers from Bihar, BCCI and even javagal Srinath used to know him and they used to know he was faster than Srinath.

must have been over 150 kmph, because even sri was achieving these speeds then.

On Sunday, November 01, 2015 at 3:06 PM, express bowling said:

Indian pacers who have bowled fast after 1984 according  to my impression ( may or may not be fully correct as speed guns were not always there )

For multiple years

Javagal Srinath,

Ashish Zaidi,

Umesh Yadav,

Varun Aaron,

Mohammad Shami 

Upto a Couple of seasons 

TA Sekhar

Raju Kulkarni ( maybe ),

Salil Ankola,  

Sandeep Sharma ( old ),

Zaheer Khan,

Ashish Nehra ( some spells )

Ajit Agarkar,

R.P. Singh ( some spells )

Munaf Patel,

VRV Singh, 

Updated list -- 

Indian pacers who have bowled fast from 1984 according  to my impression ( may or may not be fully correct as speed guns were not always there )

For multiple years

Javagal Srinath,

Ashish Zaidi,

Umesh Yadav,

Varun Aaron,

Mohammad Shami

Jasprit Bumrah  ( started to do so )

Upto a Couple of seasons 

TA Sekhar

Raju Kulkarni ( maybe ),

Salil Ankola,  

Sandeep Sharma ( old ),

Zaheer Khan,

Ajit Agarkar,

Munaf Patel,

VRV Singh, 

Fast bowlers in domestic cricket now --

Khejroliya

Siraj

Nathu

Thampi

Avesh

Edited by express bowling
On 10/28/2015 at 8:35 PM, Rightarmfast said:

If you check Sachin Tendulkar's interview which Tom Alter took in 1989, the young Sachin Tendulkar mentioned that Raju Kulkarni was the fastest Indian bowler he had faced till then.

Oh  i have seen him bowl. 

yes quickish but not earth shaking by any means . 

Was a one trick pony , just used to bowl balls coming in

15 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Salgaokar bowled in the '70s and I never saw him bowl.

Even TA Sekhar was genuinely fast for atleast a couple of years around 1984. 

There is tendency to hype  re: yesteryears  folks  because hardly few saw them bowl. 

there were articles in magazines which were mostly followed and that created impression in our minds with some fantasy masala 

added in. 

I remember how a famous magazine had full coverage before the 79 world cup and there was so much written about Sandeep Patil 

, something  like  hitting balls from marine drive gymkhana  to another nearby ground .  

He was a big hitter no doubt , but after watching him on  TV , it was not like what was  was portrayed in those articles.

I suspect similar was the case in these phaast  cases , 

They bowled few overs of pure pace , not sure they really were accurate .

Also those were pre - helmet era. Few hits batsmen would back away after seeing some one getting hit .

The aura then grows even bigger . 

2 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

There is tendency to hype  re: yesteryears  folks  because hardly few saw them bowl. 

there were articles in magazines which were mostly followed and that created impression in our minds with some fantasy masala 

added in. 

I remember how a famous magazine had full coverage before the 79 world cup and there was so much written about Sandeep Patil 

, something  like  hitting balls from marine drive gymkhana  to another nearby ground .  

He was a big hitter no doubt , but after watching him on  TV , it was not like what was  was portrayed in those articles.

I suspect similar was the case in these phaast  cases , 

They bowled few overs of pure pace , not sure they really were accurate .

Also those were pre - helmet era. Few hits batsmen would back away after seeing some one getting hit .

The aura then grows even bigger . 

Very true....and that was the case with top international pacers even.

Fast bowlers were those who threatened the batsmen physically for a few years in their careers....so basically those pacers who bowled good bouncers and short balls ....which is not solely dependent on pace, but also on the ability to get bounce, the pitches on which they generally bowled, accuracy of the bowler while bowling bouncers, seam position etc. Country from which the bowler came from, size of the bowler, how the bowler was marketed, how good the bowler was, how bouncy he was....all played in a part in creating the myth of the fast bowler.

Wayne Daniel was a medium-fast bowler but since he came from the WI in the '80s, he was called fast. Even the great Malcolm Marshall dropped a lot of pace in the late '80s but not many talked about it. Garner was nothing more than fast-medium but very bouncy....no-one dared mention it.

It was all a matter of aura and impression and that is what prevailed then. If speedgun readings did not become regular, Pollack would have been known as fast.

Lack of sufficient TV coverage, lack of analytical data and imaginative, flowery journalism ..... created larger than life personas.

5 hours ago, express bowling said:

Updated list -- 

Indian pacers who have bowled fast from 1984 according  to my impression ( may or may not be fully correct as speed guns were not always there )

For multiple years

Javagal Srinath,

Ashish Zaidi,

Umesh Yadav,

Varun Aaron,

Mohammad Shami

Jasprit Bumrah  ( started to do so )

Upto a Couple of seasons 

TA Sekhar

Raju Kulkarni ( maybe ),

Salil Ankola,  

Sandeep Sharma ( old ),

Zaheer Khan,

Ajit Agarkar,

Munaf Patel,

VRV Singh, 

Fast bowlers in domestic cricket now --

Khejroliya

Siraj

Nathu

Thampi

Avesh

Atul Wassan. He for sure was genuinely quick.  Not 150's, but definitely 145ish and plus.