Pace and Hype

If8sQFS.png

Josh Hazzlewood fastest 97mph ,Lyon fastest 84.5 , something is not right

This is what I was talking about....

Just see for yourself.

Josh Hazzlewood becomes a 157 k pacer using high speed cameras.

I have seen Umesh and Aaron having fastest deliveries around 157 k in hawk-eye  and Shami clocking 153 k, Ishant clocking 154 k + too.

The same thing could have happened in the 1975 and 1976 speed contests

Edited by express bowling

Just see for yourself.

I have seen Umesh and Aaron having fastest deliveries around 157 k in hawk-eye  and Shami clocking 153 k, Ishant clocking 154 k + too.

Damn! You got a point. If what you say is right, then that explains quite a lot. And also explains all the doubt we had

this was the 160k ball by starc wasnt it ,

i remember some years back they used to show some program called sharjah specials or something on ten sports with ramiz raja hosting it ,there was this one match i think  from late 80s or may be early 90s where patrick patterson and ian bishop were bowling at around 115 kph,probably timed at the batsman's end

I remember watching a sharjah match very very early 90's. And they showed kapil dev's pace. it was coming to 115 I think.

Just see for yourself.

Thomson was measured with camera in 1975 and with radar gun in 1976 , both showed speed above 160 kph.apart from robert which other bowler speed you consider as measured very fast? in 1975 or 1976

I would have agreed with you if Hazzlewood is considered as very fast by batsmen or keeper.

Lillee was at the peak of his speed at that time. In the same series during the Sydney Test Australian slip cordon and the wicketkeeper were standing 36 meters behind the wicket when Thompson was bowling. Never before, or till today, for any bowler, has no slip fielder or wicketkeeper stood so far behind.

http://www.coloradocricket.org/articles.php?news=233&ccl_mode=1

Imran also said that in West indies vs world 11 match , he just stopped because he did not find wicket keeper , the wicket keeper was standing very far because Holding was bowling so quick.

do you think for Hazzlewood's pace they will put keep very far

Thomson was measured with camera in 1975 and with radar gun in 1976 , both showed speed above 160 kph.apart from robert which other bowler speed you consider as measured very fast? in 1975 or 1976

I would have agreed with you if Hazzlewood is considered as very fast by batsmen or keeper.

Imran also said that in West indies vs world 11 match , he just stopped because he did not find wicket keeper , the wicket keeper was standing very far because Holding was bowling so quick.

do you think for Hazzlewood's pace they will put keep very far

I actually think that Thomson was an express pacer for his peak 2 years. 

But not Lillee.

Also, distance at which the wicket-keeper is standing, depends a lot on the bounce being generated by the bowler and the bounce of the pitch.....not just the pace.   The West Indians of that era had exceptional abilities to bounce the ball as did a couple of others. They practiced this because of the poor protective gear and no limitation on bouncers.

Edited by express bowling

Much of that has to do with the fact that the batsmen dont have much protective gear. None of them are wearing a helmet against Thompson. He looks quick, but I didnt see the magic bounce that those people were commenting about in the video.

Had Sachin, Dravid, Inzy , Jayasuriya and the likes faced Shoaib Akhtar without a helmet, then it would have been interesting to compare the comments made by them as against the comments in this video. I bet in that case, Shaoib would have been hyped even more 10 times .

Much of that has to do with the fact that the batsmen dont have much protective gear. None of them are wearing a helmet against Thompson. He looks quick, but I didnt see the magic bounce that those people were commenting about in the video.

Had Sachin, Dravid, Inzy , Jayasuriya and the likes faced Shoaib Akhtar without a helmet, then it would have been interesting to compare the comments made by them as against the comments in this video. I bet in that case, Shaoib would have been hyped even more 10 times .

I would like to see any team bat against our rather poor pace attack of Umesh, Aaron, Ishant and Shami

With no helmets

Batsmen using '70s bats

Batsmen using '70s gloves, pads, abdomen guards and nothing else

On a current day flat Perth wicket

After i see it......then we can start to compare the '70s quicks with today's quicks

I am not talking about the reaction of batsmen. Just look at the pace at which he is bowling. Some balls are ridiculously fast. I remember reading an article from the late 70s about Thomson, which described his pre-injury pace and bounce. Almost everyone was in awe of that guy's speed. Something must be special about him.

I am not talking about the reaction of batsmen. Just look at the pace at which he is bowling. Some balls are ridiculously fast. I remember reading an article from the late 70s about Thomson, which described his pre-injury pace and bounce. Almost everyone was in awe of that guy's speed. Something must be special about him.

Thompson's action and release point was also a bit unique, making the ball harder to pick up and feel even faster when facing him...

Thompson's action and release point was also a bit unique, making the ball harder to pick up and feel even faster when facing him...

Thomson was measured only few times in career and even then he was clocked 160 plus, shoaib Akhtar made entry when speed guns were becoming norm , so most pf his career he was measured , had he been measured on random day there are chances that he could had been measured at 155 not 160

Speed guns becoming a norm was solely beause of Shoaib. Suddenly everyone started talking about him and speed. So there must be something special about Shoaib too

And he was bowling 155 or thereabouts till the end of his career. Mind you, shoaib played in an era when there was hardly any resting time unlike Thomsons . Which you cant discount.

Thomson was measured only few times in career and even then he was clocked 160 plus, shoaib Akhtar made entry when speed guns were becoming norm , so most pf his career he was measured , had he been measured on random day there are chances that he could had been measured at 155 not 160

Thomson knew he is being measured so he put everything into it to show how quick he can be.

Thomson knew he is being measured so he put everything into it to show how quick he can be.

A lot of bowlers tried to break 160 barrier , but that only come on special day. If thomson was able to break it at will then he certainly was quicker than anybody . Even Akhtar crossed barrier of 160 few times despite obsessed with bowling fast.There is now way we can tell on which day Thomson was at his best speed

Speed guns becoming a norm was solely beause of Shoaib. Suddenly everyone started talking about him and speed. So there must be something special about Shoaib too

And he was bowling 155 or thereabouts till the end of his career. Mind you, shoaib played in an era when there was hardly any resting time unlike Thomsons . Which you cant discount.

Yes Shoaib was special but saying that he solely responsible for speed guns is not acceptable. If a technology become available then TV's certainly going to apply that if that is not so expensive