Is pujara's role of 30(100) working?

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Why should  there be a pre-defined rate of scoring in test matches ?

Good teams play slowly when the pitches and playing conditions are tough, the bowling is good, a match needs to be saved etc.

They play faster when the pitch, bowlers, playing conditions are easy, the team is on top, a declaration is imminent etc.  

Often, some batsmen play faster to keep the pressure on the opposition bowlers.

Good logic. Which is why Vijay and/or Pujara should have played on this particular pitch, especially knowing that we were going to bat first if we won the toss. 

I've been very critical of Pujara, but a Cricinfo article today puts his batting in perspective.  In summary, he ups his scoring rate after he gets past 50 or 60, and is so well settled then that he usually goes on to make huge scores.  Too lazy to link, but they provided 3 - 4 recent examples.

Point?  Maybe it is harsh to judge him based on 30(100).  Often, that turns into a 150 (250), which is perfectly acceptable, especially when compared to 9 (22) that talented batsmen put up.

Having said all that, the one unequivocally valid knock against him is that he does not rotate the strike. He should at least push the ball into gaps and take singles as he is settling.  That way, the other guys are not under that much pressure.  

Edited by Moth2Flame

I think every batsman should develop a mindset to play at least 60 balls first. Once that has been achieved, the batsman can focus on scoring rate .... Of course, batsmen like Sehwag are going to be exceptions to such rules but in Ind test history, we have only had one Sehwag so far which shows how difficult it is to bat like him 

On 8/3/2016 at 4:26 AM, G_B_ said:

Who writes these lines. The lion hardly comes to any battle. He sits on his arse all day while the lionesses hunt in packs.

The lion is a highly social animal living in a pride.

Tigers fair enough this saying makes sense

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

lol you thought of and wrote a scientific response to that rajni 'punch' dialogue..:phehe:. Its a 'punch' dialogue, 'panni kootama varum, singam singala varum' he says this when he is about to be cornered by goons when he is alone, lion does have a greater image of valor than a tiger so the choice of words. Punch dialogues are ment to extract big cries of approval from his fanatic fans basically, often sound hilarious for us rest.

1 hour ago, zen said:

I think every batsman should develop a mindset to play at least 60 balls first. Once that has been achieved, the batsman can focus on scoring rate .... Of course, batsmen like Sehwag are going to be exceptions to such rules but in Ind test history, we have only had one Sehwag so far which shows how difficult it is to bat like him 

with the possible exception of Warner and B Macullum ( may be Gayle) you could say that about the world as well.

The fun aspect abt Sehwag is his angles of hit.

Say Dravid is straight batted mostly, so maximizes bat meeting ball as there is only lateral movement to contend, so was a Wall.

Say someone like an Agarkar he used to bat a lot of pushes and punches and got out often as he has to content with lateral as well and onward ball movement.

Say some one like Dilshan when he plays the scoop( albeit to slower balls) , he has to content with onward lateral and upward movements to meet the ball while seeing it in front of his eyes.

Now for Sehwag the freak, he played  the fast rising delivery in the offside with an upper cut, its ridiculous. He contends with onward,lateral,upward movement of the fast delivery while seeing it beside his head at a elevated plane. How did he do that so often, is a mystery.

9 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Now for Sehwag the freak, he played  the fast rising delivery in the offside with an upper cut, its ridiculous. He contends with onward,lateral,upward movement of the fast delivery while seeing it beside his head at a elevated plane. How did he do that so often, is a mystery.

Veeru was blessed with freakishly good eyes.  He is the best batsman that I have seen in recognizing and just murdering slower balls - disguised or not.  

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

Veeru was blessed with freakishly good eyes.  He is the best batsman that I have seen in recognizing and just murdering slower balls - disguised or not.  

yup, i remember Sachin playing this shot to Akhtar in 2003 WC in that 19 runs over, but Sehwag used to do that in tests and ODI's regularly.

30 minutes ago, Vilander said:

lol you thought of and wrote a scientific response to that rajni 'punch' dialogue..:phehe:. Its a 'punch' dialogue, 'panni kootama varum, singam singala varum' he says this when he is about to be cornered by goons when he is alone, lion does have a greater image of valor than a tiger so the choice of words. Punch dialogues are ment to extract big cries of approval from his fanatic fans basically, often sound hilarious for us rest.

Not that lion has a greater image of valor ... puli sounds just as valorous as singam, but singam fits better with "singala varum!"  Puli singala varum?  No ring to it.  Puli pulippaa varum, maybe?

Overanalysis?

Edited by Moth2Flame
Just now, Moth2Flame said:

Not that lion has a greater image of valor ... puli sounds just as valorous as singam, but singam fits better with "singala varum!"  Puli singala varum?  No ring to it.

Overanalysis based cience, linguistics etc. on this thread!

true thought of it as the same, its based on the ring singam and single. 

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

even slow medium pacer who bowled around 120k. On his day he could destroy any outstanding attack n he has. 

I think he was the only one who could fire with fire. 

Be it against nz in 2002, when no could stand on pitches the so called technically great batsman

Be it against Mendis murali, all fab 4 had no clue how to play them

It was sehwag....