ICC trying to cut the hand that is feeding them: BCCI

Ultimately no point blaming ICC or Manohar

It's the fault of Thakur and BCCI who decided to send him despite knowing what Manohar is like.

I mean he was actively trying to damage the interests of BCCI when he was BCCi president .And they send him as ICC president allowed him to make it as independent

He should have been barred from any cricket related activities once that Nagpur test was over .

1 hour ago, moniker said:

Mumbai doesn't generate any revenue for the BCCI. BCCI allows local cricket associations to keep money from ticket sales.

BCCI gets most of its revenue from TV rights. TV channels don't pay more money if the match is held in Mumbai. This claim by Manohar about Mumbai generating the most revenue is a dumb defensive lie.

It is not undemocratic to ask for a fairer share of revenue. If you think about it, it is actually a radically communist idea to split the shares and not acknowledge the major contributions from one of the parties. That's not how capitalism works. This guy Shashank is clutching at straws here.

This is one of the biggest points. BCCI gives a lot of freedom, and therefore responsibility to the different member boards. The member boards are allowed to run their cricket pretty freely, and the BCCI would only intervene if there is some major issue.

The ICC, if it wants to be independent, then it should revoke it's financial role in governing cricket. Allow them the role of managing where tournaments are held, rules of cricket, etc. If they insist on taking money from member boards, then the BCCI rightly should have greater say/inclusion in decision making. If we generate 70+% of the revenue and share it with poorer boards, some in hostile countries, we are doing them a favor. If we spent all 70% on our own cricket/state associations we would accelerate our improvement in many areas of cricket where we are traditionally weak, ie fast bowling.

The ICC and Manohar are making a lot of noise right now, but they can't even discipline or mediate the conflict between WICB and the WI players right now or allowing blatant racism in SA's selection policies. They should work on that instead of needling us.

2 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

This is one of the biggest points. BCCI gives a lot of freedom, and therefore responsibility to the different member boards. The member boards are allowed to run their cricket pretty freely, and the BCCI would only intervene if there is some major issue.

The ICC, if it wants to be independent, then it should revoke it's financial role in governing cricket. Allow them the role of managing where tournaments are held, rules of cricket, etc. If they insist on taking money from member boards, then the BCCI rightly should have greater say/inclusion in decision making. If we generate 70+% of the revenue and share it with poorer boards, some in hostile countries, we are doing them a favor. If we spent all 70% on our own cricket/state associations we would accelerate our improvement in many areas of cricket where we are traditionally weak, ie fast bowling.

The ICC and Manohar are making a lot of noise right now, but they can't even discipline or mediate the conflict between WICB and the WI players right now or allowing blatant racism in SA's selection policies. They should work on that instead of needling us.

Yet again the conflict between WI and its players takes us back to IPL, than back to BCCI.

If you investigate everything, somehow you would end up with BCCI on most things... :)

Let Mr. Manohar work in peace, and allow him some time to make ICC free of self interest etc.

2 hours ago, Shamim.Miah said:

It is not about my country or your country. I just want a clean ICC board that looks after cricket.

Not personal interest of certain countries, just because they come from there or have close relations, or feel forced.

We need ICC to be clean and free from this kind of threats. It will take time, not sure if that would be possible.

How has  the  ICC  hurt the interests of your country  ?

Bangladesh has become a part of mainstream cricket and has got test status in the last few years.  It has improved as a team.  Would it have  been possible if the ICC was  not trying to expand cricket  ?

As far as I remember...a BCCI representative  to the ICC,  the  Late Jagmohan Dalmia, took a lot of initiative to  give test status to Bangladesh when not all member countries were in favour.....if  BCCI  is against your country, would this have happened  ?

Any country which generates  significantly more revenue is going to have more clout.   That is the way the real  world works.   To think that the BCCI would have as much say as the  BCB  is living in an utopian world....won't happen.

But,  after the BCCI  has acquired more power, more and more countries  are playing cricket.   It has also increased its mass appeal by introducing T20s.  Now, it has landed  on the shores of  USA.  All this is good and cricket is no longer the game for the elites only, like  it  was  when England  was  in charge.  Why is this contribution totally overlooked by some of you. ?

Edited by express bowling
7 minutes ago, Shamim.Miah said:

Yet again the conflict between WI and its players takes us back to IPL, than back to BCCI.

If you investigate everything, somehow you would end up with BCCI on most things... :)

Let Mr. Manohar work in peace, and allow him some time to make ICC free of self interest etc.

Hardly the BCCI's fault. We hold the IPL on our time relative to our international calendar, it's the Indian Premier League. If the WICB and players can't come to a reasonable agreement, that is their problem. They can openly ban their players from participating in the IPL if they want Windies central contracts. We will see plenty of Windies players becoming mercenaries in different leagues across the world, players afterall have the right to maximize their earnings.

Sure, if you investigate everything that turns out good, then it leads to the BCCI. Anything bad is from leech boards from smaller countries that think we will subsidize their teams without any say in the matter.

I agree let Manohar work, let him work without our 70% of the revenue. He can do whatever he wants then: nude cricket, batsmen batting with baseball bats, replacing bowlers with bowling machines, whatever. We will just play our cricket on a bilateral basis with the boards we like. 

12 minutes ago, express bowling said:

How has  the  ICC  hurt the interests of your country  ?

Bangladesh has become a part of mainstream cricket and has got test status in the last few years.  It has improved as a team.  Would it have  been possible if the ICC was  not trying to expand cricket  ?

As far as I remember...a BCCI representative  to the ICC,  the  Late Jagmohan Dalmia, took a lot of initiative to  give test status to Bangladesh when not all member countries were in favour.....if  BCCI  is against your country, would this have happened  ?

Any country which generates  significantly more revenue is going to have more clout.   That is the way the real  world works.   To think that the BCCI would have as much say as the  BCB  is living in an utopian world....won't happen.

But,  after the BCCI  has acquired more power, more and more countries  are playing cricket.   It has also increased its mass appeal by introducing T20s.  Now, it has landed  on the shores of  USA.  All this is good and cricket is no longer the game for the elites only, like it was with England  was  in charge.  Why is this contribution totally overlooked by some of you. ?

You do realise each year or two they are coming up with new rules?

The number of teams taking part in world cup is reducing, only top 8 teams playing champions trophy (WI and Zimbabwe missing out)

Trying to have two tier test division etc. Associates finding hard to play against test nation (We recently invited Afghanistan)

Shouldn't global events such as world cup/ champions trophy have more teams? even if that means qualifying?

Why can't associates qualify for champions trophy? there are many gaps still there.

ICC I hope will change some of its approach soon. But the first and most important for time being is the independence of its board members (most have self interest issue)

Edited by Shamim.Miah

Peter Miller- Cricket writer Tweeted

Love the fact that Manohar acting independently as the independent ICC chairman is such a shock to Thakur.

Found it quite funny, I don't think they understand what Independent means LOL. Probably Thakur is thinking, oh his Indian, he should talk on behalf of us, and we should get all the best deals..like srini use to work for us;)

Edited by Shamim.Miah
25 minutes ago, Shamim.Miah said:

Peter Miller- Cricket writer Tweeted

Love the fact that Manohar acting independently as the independent ICC chairman is such a shock to Thakur.

Found it quite funny, I don't think they understand what Independent means LOL. Probably Thakur is thinking, oh his Indian, he should talk on behalf of us, and we should get all the best deals..like srini use to work for us;)

We didn't score 'deals'. Mind your language there.

Wallets getting lighter:

The biggest reason apart from the legal battle with the Supreme Court was Manohar's financial decisions that fetched him many enemies within his own country. On the sidelines of the ICC meeting in Dubai in February 2016, Manohar's decision to vote for abolishing  the “Big Three” revenue system shocked everyone at the BCCI. The model, which allowed the BCCI, Cricket Australia, and the ECB to have the lion share of the ICC's annual revenues, was taken down as a part of ICC's constitutional change. Manohar had also reportedly agreed to give away 6% of India’s 22% share of ICC revenues during this meeting. This decision was taken by Manohar without any consultation of the board members.

https://sportscafe.in/articles/cricket/2016/sep/11/clash-of-titans-why-is-bcci-at-war-with-icc

So in a jist, India generates 70% of revenues at ICC events. We would have got 22% of that with the Big 3 formula.

Instead of that we get 22-6 or 16%. Somebody like WI and Zimbabwe who are not even participating in the Champions Trophy are getting a 8% cut. I would say even 22% was a bit too less. Should have pushed for 35%. 

Coming back to Srini, the biggest issue I had with his was his personal interest in the selection of India's playing 11.  If the selectors feel MSD needs to be sacked then MSD needs to be sacked. When it comes to finances off the field he was very good for Indian cricket. 

As I said before, Pawar probably took money on the side for sure. But he protected India's interests in terms of finance and also was not involved in the playing 11. In an ideal world, the best cricket admin would be a non corrupt version of Sharad Pawar.

I see Thakur getting a lot of heat from mostly western commentators. But I dont think he has been involved in scams , neither does he have a direct interest in the cricket team and he does have India's financial interest at heart. So I really dont see a need to look beyond Thakur. The only downside to Thakur I can see if that he does seem to favor Himachal Pradesh as a venue. But then again, Nagpur did host a lot of matches as well. So its not as if Manohar did not bend the rules there.

2 hours ago, Shamim.Miah said:

The number of teams taking part in world cup is reducing, only top 8 teams playing champions trophy (WI and Zimbabwe missing out)

Trying to have two tier test division etc. Associates finding hard to play against test nation (We recently invited Afghanistan)

Shouldn't global events such as world cup/ champions trophy have more teams? even if that means qualifying?

Why can't associates qualify for champions trophy? there are many gaps still there.

ICC I hope will change some of its approach soon. But the first and most important for time being is the independence of its board members (most have self interest issue)

Champions Trophy  had  8  teams  in  2013  too.      The  World Cup having 14 teams was disliked by a lot of viewers as the last 4 teams were of very poor quality.   Whether there should be 14 teams in WCs, even if  some of the teams, are very poor,  is definitely a debatable issue.  Every argument has 2 sides and  decisions have to be taken after considering all points.

The 2 tier test structure has been scrapped. 

We must realize that progress is made by crests and troughs and one sided movement does not happen  if there are many different stakeholders.

ICC has to take decisions on various issues and decisions based on various factors.  Sustaining  interest in  the game of cricket as a whole is the most important one.  The improvement of weaker nations is not the sole  objective.  There have been some good decisions and some bad ones.......  you will never be happy with its operations if you think from the point of the Bangladesh cricket team only.

But the net result has to be seen also,  in  the last few years,   instead of looking at the negatives only.  As I said before...cricket has become more popular, both in terms of wider geographical area as well as in terms of different demographics, after the BCCI  has been having more influence in the ICC.

Edited by express bowling

Huh ?

Only top 8 teams has been playing in CT since 2002 .What the hell are u on about ?

BCCI is the board that actually stopped two tier system that Manohar actively tried to implement .Basically teams like Bangladesh saved by BCCI from going into oblivion.

Associates can't qualify for CT because then there would be no difference between CT and World cup.

As for world cup having more teams do u even know which country actually are trying to reduce the no of teams playing the world cup to 10? England .

Apparently there were some amendments to ICC Chairman position which were cleverly made by Manohar when he was BCCI president which makes it impossible to replace or impeach him. This snake has planned it too well and will hurt India in the long term. Should just extend IPL to 3-4 months and see the ICC and other countries reaction to it.

I do not think it's about money .England will get around 50 Million dollars for hosting Ct .Bcci wants Icc to save itself from Lodha committee.Manohar is stalling so all this drama.Regardless I would hardly support Bcci ,There is urgent need for change in Bcci it has been running as a charity with no accountability for long even selectors are not accountable and Hardly justify selections.

12 hours ago, CG said:

I do not think it's about money .England will get around 50 Million pounds for hosting Ct .Bcci wants Icc to save itself from Lodha committee.Manohar is stalling so all this drama.Regardless I would hardly support Bcci ,There is urgent need for change in Bcci it has been running as a charity with no accountability for long even selectors are not accountable and Hardly justify selections.

Just one example of how corupt BCCI might have been in past:present. Imagine if Srini was ICC chairman, that letter request by Thakur would have been written and disclosed easily. Just goes to show what power BCCI had over ICC. Requesting them to write letter like they work for BCCI hahaa. Only God knows what else has happened in the past. Wish ICC was investigated like FIFA so corupt practices by BCCI or any board could been exploited.