Travel to UK from US east Coast - WC & Wimbledon

kruiser

I am thinking about a quick 1 week trip to UK from US east coast and am looking for company. Tentatively, my plan is:

1-Jul: Leave US for UK

2- Jul: Watch IND - BAN @ Birmingham

3-Jul to 5-Jul: Watch Wimbledon early rounds

6 - Jul: Watch IND-SL @ Leeds

7 - Jul : Fly back

Anyone interested? 

I am thinking about a quick 1 week trip to UK from US east coast and am looking for company. Tentatively, my plan is:

Anyone interested? 

Do people still watch tennis?

Why Ind-BD though? :cantstop:

The entire Bharat army will be on Manchester on 16th June...plan for that week.

I want to enjoy the cricket watching and soak in the stadium experience. Jun 16 will be very high octane, will watch it on TV.  These two matches are low risk, will provide more time to relax and absorb! 

Good luck.  I would suggest you buy your game tickets before you book your airfare.   

I went to UK for the 2011 test series.  In spite of the one-sided beat-down, it still is a treasured memory for me.  If you are travelling solo, look into hostels for lodging - some reasonable options around.

Bit crazy itinerary.

Fly into London, upto Birmingham , down to London , upto Leeds, down to London .

Have you checked night trains for journeys straight after to get you there for next morning game starts ?

Anyone interested? 

I am doing the same this year and surely doing the same next year. I am in the east coast too.

Wimbledon and Aussie open are on mys list as both happen around the summer od cricket in the two countries.

However, I am trying to stay longer in England during world cup and surely will be watching India vs Pak.

With prize money of £2,250,000 to each of the men's and women's winners and total prize money of £34,000,000 there must be some spectator interest to pay out that money 

I am sure there are some. Tennis is a great sport if you are playing it. Right up there with synchronized swimming if you are watching it.

I am sure there are some. Tennis is a great sport if you are playing it. Right up there with synchronized swimming if you are watching it.

Yuki Bhambri, just to visit Wimbledon this year as he qualified for the main draw, will get paid £39,000 when he plays first round this july.

He has earned it with the sensational tennis he has displayed in last 12 months but again goes out to show how much top 100 players make. They do have expenses too which is another debate.

Other than the top 100, others put in a lot of money into the game. Going thru this process, I can say that this model has to change soon for it to attract top talent as it is becoming too much of a rich man's game.

But its there to make the money. Young players with poor families are making tons now because they get wildcards and start opening their atp bank account when they get wildcards to the main draw after doing well in challengers and stuff.

Its still tough but not as tough. Our very own Maryland guy Francis Tiafoe comes from a very poor family but now is a top 50 player and easy to say, is a millionaire.

6 hours ago, Tattieboy said:

I don't know sycronised swimming has a certain appeal . :laugh:

6 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Yuki Bhambri, just to visit Wimbledon this year as he qualified for the main draw, will get paid £39,000 when he plays first round this july.

He has earned it with the sensational tennis he has displayed in last 12 months but again goes out to show how much top 100 players make. They do have expenses too which is another debate.

3 hours ago, eternalhope said:

Other than the top 100, others put in a lot of money into the game. Going thru this process, I can say that this model has to change soon for it to attract top talent as it is becoming too much of a rich man's game.

Drop out of top 20 and there is no real money in tennis. You can make lot more money in so many other sports but tennis is not the right way to earn a living.

3 hours ago, Cricketics said:

But its there to make the money. Young players with poor families are making tons now because they get wildcards and start opening their atp bank account when they get wildcards to the main draw after doing well in challengers and stuff.

Its still tough but not as tough. Our very own Maryland guy Francis Tiafoe comes from a very poor family but now is a top 50 player and easy to say, is a millionaire.

Tiafoe is making money now as he is in the top 50. To even reach the challengers stage u know how many futures they have to go to. They have to win three qualifying rounds to enter the main draw and they get one point per win in the main draw which drops off the next year.

My sons coach has a son who was a national runners here couple of years ago, was the runner up in the French open junior doubles last year and seeing his struggles from close with all the travel and that too with decent sponsorship for racquets, strings and shoes, it’s still a lot. This guy was at the USTA academy in Boca from when he was 12, even now gets coached by Lendl for atleast a month in a year and he is struggling to get into the top 1000.

For people like us it will be even more with all the lessons and academies, which in the end anyway don’t guarantee anything. We just do it for the love of the game and the kids passion for it.

Edited by eternalhope

I know of few players in top 500 who just did not have money to stay in a Motel. Would depend on some local tennis enthusiast to keep them overnight. Lot of them slept in their cars also. Hard to make money in tennis if you are not the top dog.