Pollock: 'Pandya is probably a long term all-round option'

All-rounder Hardik Pandya has gone from strength to strength before becoming a regular in the India Test cricket side, but South African great Shaun Pollock wants the rising Baroda star to focus on an aspect of his game if he wants to be a long-term prospect.

Pollock said that the advent of T20 cricket has given rise to a number of all-rounders in world cricket, even as he picked Englishman Ben Stokes as one of the best among the current crop.

Coming to Indian cricket, the former Proteas all-rounder has advised the 24-year-old Hardik to settle down with a dimension of his game (be it batting or bowling) while contributing with the other.

“T20 cricket has made a lot of people realise that they can have the ability to contribute with both bat and ball. As far as all-rounders around the world are concerned, it’s difficult to pick one, but I can think of Ben Stokes. He is one of the best,” the former South Africa skipper said.

“Coming to Indian cricket, Pandya is probably a long-term all-round option. I think Virat Kohli really likes his style and attitude towards the game. Looks like he can get both wickets and runs; of course, time will tell everything."

“Hardik needs to settle down and choose one of the disciplines (batting or bowling), something that keeps him in the side, and look to contribute on the other as it can be very difficult to contribute with both.”

If he settles down and gets a good run, there is no reason why he can’t become a wonderful all-rounder for India,” he added.

Pollock, who scored 3,519 runs and took 393 wickets in 303 One-day Internationals, also agreed with India’s batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar, who hit out at the International Cricket Council’s decision of introducing two new balls in the 50-over format.

“It does take away the art of reverse swing. It also depends on what surfaces you play. In the subcontinent, the ball gets soft and it gets difficult to hit at the back end of the innings, which suits the bowling side,” he said.

Link - https://www.sportstarlive.com/cricket/pollock-pandya-is-probably-a-long-term-all-round-option/article24652701.ece

About choosing one dimesion

When a test series is on - I think He shud concentrate on his batting more in nets- coz no matter what more often then not his batting will come

Shud work on his bowling while playing Odi or t20 series in on- coz he will bowl in every game 

Not saying he shud ignore other aspect, just balance it in such a way. 

Pandya should play more first class cricket.

His stats are horrible there.

I know he is being fast tracked but I am not liking the way he is given a free run in the team without much accountability.

There is clarity and crispness in his batting for sure but I don't think he is being held accountable for his performances.

Mentally we seem to be happy when he makes a 30 and start making excuses for him. No other player in the XI gets the leeway he gets.

As for his bowling, it's way too much hit or miss. One day, he takes 2 wickets (1st test, 2nd innings) but most days, he goes missing without a trace.

AR should be someone who can make an impact with the bat and ball. Not someone who barely does either job properly.

Pandya has to prove that he can perform like a PROPER batsman. When he does that, his spot in the team will be justified.

Right now, we are more concerned about some theoretical team balance as opposed to doing what's needed to win the game. 

Edited by sensible-indian

Bhuvi is an example of a gun test AR.

He may not be recognized as one by the world yet but he is one.

Already played so many crucial knocks for us with the bat (which is his weaker suite).

Chennai 2013

Lord's 2014

Sydney 2015 (saved a test with Rahane)

2 knocks in SA series 2018

I can't believe our chewtiya management screwed around with his injury which caused him to be unavailable for this series.

If Bhuvi and Jaddu were playing the first test, things would have been so different.

9 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Pandya should play more first class cricket.

His stats are horrible there.

I know he is being fast tracked but I am not liking the way he is given a free run in the team without much accountability.

HE hasnt been given a free Run

In Odi

Batting- At 7 its very diff to get consistent scores

Bowling - Conditions that flat, he gets and old ball but if u see from Sa his bwoling has really improved a lot 

In test

BAtting- Jst played 8 test , out of which 4 are in SA n ENG against Rabbada, steyn, morkel, philander, ngidi, broad, anderson....this can affect anyone stats unless ur a smith or kohli . Still he manages to outscores other (kohli is in a diff league). If he gets to play like others in subcontinet his stats will also look better

Bowling- as someone pointed he hasnt bowled a lot. HE is the 5th bowler....mostly ur 4 bowlers have been doing the job and it hasnt come down to him a lot

6 hours ago, Tibarn said:

Hmmm, it seems some are being unfair to Pandya on his bowling:

Innings by innings list
Overs Mdns Runs Wkts Econ Pos Inns   Opposition Ground Start DateAscending  
3.0 0 13 1 4.33 5 2   v Sri Lanka Galle 26 Jul 2017 Test # 2265
7.0 0 21 0 3.00 5 4   v Sri Lanka Galle 26 Jul 2017 Test # 2265
DNB - - - - - 2   v Sri Lanka Colombo (SSC) 3 Aug 2017 Test # 2267
15.0 2 31 2 2.06 5 3   v Sri Lanka Colombo (SSC) 3 Aug 2017 Test # 2267
6.0 1 28 1 4.66 3 2   v Sri Lanka Pallekele 12 Aug 2017 Test # 2269
1.0 0 2 0 2.00 5 3   v Sri Lanka Pallekele 12 Aug 2017 Test # 2269
12.0 1 53 1 4.41 4 1   v South Africa Cape Town 5 Jan 2018 Test # 2292
6.0 0 27 2 4.50 4 3   v South Africa Cape Town 5 Jan 2018 Test # 2292
16.0 4 50 0 3.12 4 1   v South Africa Centurion 13 Jan 2018 Test # 2293
9.0 1 14 0 1.55 5 3   v South Africa Centurion 13 Jan 2018 Test # 2293
2.0 0 3 0 1.50 5 2   v South Africa Johannesburg 24 Jan 2018 Test # 2294
6.0 1 15 0 2.50 5 4   v South Africa Johannesburg 24 Jan 2018 Test # 2294
5.0 0 18 0 3.60 3 2   v Afghanistan Bengaluru 14 Jun 2018 Test # 2307
4.0 2 6 0 1.50 3 3   v Afghanistan Bengaluru 14 Jun 2018 Test # 2307
10.0 1 46 0 4.60 5 1   v England Birmingham 1 Aug 2018 Test # 2314
DNB - - - - - 3   v England Birmingham 1 Aug 2018

The guy hasn't even bowled enough overs in the majority of the innings he has bowled to even expect a wicket, and then he get's criticized for not taking wickets. 

Frontline bowlers take between 8 and 10 overs of bowling before they take a single wicket. In only 5 of 14 innings in which Pandya has bowled has he reached above the 8 overs mark. Not that he sets the world on fire when he does get an extended run, but his average and SR are misleading if he doesn't even get to bowl a sufficient quota of overs   

There is clarity and crispness in his batting for sure but I don't think he is being held accountable for his performances.

The reason for Fast tracking him was need for the team 

So they have to be patient with him coz they need him and if u look at his perfomances from when he came he has kept contributing 

We look at stats but forget condition , situtations

Mentally we seem to be happy when he makes a 30 and start making excuses for him. No other player in the XI gets the leeway he gets.

If ur talking about last match 30, its not 30 that is making everyone happy it was his application and also everyone was struggling on that pitch....so a 30 on this pitch stand for more

In ODI- at 7 its diff to score more 

As for his bowling, it's way too much hit or miss. One day, he takes 2 wickets (1st test, 2nd innings) but most days, he goes missing without a trace.

again how much has he bowled

AR should be someone who can make an impact with the bat and ball. Not someone who barely does either job properly.

Again he is to new in his career and Raw as well, also playing in really tough conidtions

Pandya has to prove that he can perform like a PROPER batsman. When he does that, his spot in the team will be justified.

That will take sometime but he is showing that he has in him and is worth investing 

A lot of times ull have to invest with players

Right now, we are more concerned about some theoretical team balance as opposed to doing what's needed to win the game. 

Yes thats why batting n catching is our biggest concern

Pandya is jst an easy answer to not look at things 

Bhuvi is an example of a gun test AR.

His batting styles works for test, not for ODi thats why we consider him all in test . 

PAndya style will include risk but it will only get better with time ....he is playing all formats n with time only he ll learn adaptabilty specially in such conditions against such attacks 

He may not be recognized as one by the world yet but he is one.

Already played so many crucial knocks for us with the bat (which is weaker suite).

Chennai 2013

Lord's 2014

Sydney 2015 (saved a test with Rahane)

2 knocks in SA series 2018

I can't believe our chewtiya management screwed around with his injury which caused him to be unavailable for this series.

If Bhuvi and Jaddu were playing the first test, things would have been so different.

Whats the point of thinking of what we dnt have....as a good team we have to have every area covered....including plan-B

Good bhuvi aint playing.......a defeat is needed sometimes. Victories were putting major concerns under carpet 

It's not about stats.

But impact in the middle.

Apart from one or two innings (where simple catches were spilled), he went missing in all the rest (recent overseas tests where every spot is so damn precious). That doesn't take anything away from his knocks but when that's all you have, people will remain skeptical.

When he comes on to bat, you are not filled with confidence. When he comes on to bowl, you are not filled with confidence.

He has to change that perception with performance.

Last test, first 5 overs, he gave away 10 runs.

10 overs, he gave away 46 runs.

27 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

it is a very simple view at things.  he did play Ist test in SA and we still low.  so one player presence or absence wont make a huge differrence until he is a McGrath or Steyn level bowler.

Edited by rkt.india
Just now, rkt.india said:

just in dreams.  he did play Ist test in SA and we still low.  so one player presence or absence wont make a huge differrence until he is a McGrath or Steyn level bowler.

You are taking things out of context.

Bhuvi and Jaddu playing ANYWHERE will not guarantee us wins.

But in the first test in England, considering everything, they would have given us a great chance to win.

And yes, if Bhuvi and Jaddu had played in Centurion, we may have won.

2 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

It's not about stats.

But impact in the middle.

Apart from one or two innings (where simple catches were spilled), he went missing in all the rest (recent overseas tests where every spot is so damn precious). That doesn't take anything away from his knocks but when that's all you have, people will remain skeptical.

Everyone catches were spilled be it kohli or curran

When the ball is doing so much u need some luck

Thats why i keep refering to condition n these world class bowler- its not at all easy . 

Yes he hasnt done something outstanding and thats why we are questioning. 

When he comes on to bat, you are not filled with confidence. When he comes on to bowl, you are not filled with confidence.

To be honest in these condition even rahul isnt giving me alot of confidence n rate him damn so i cnt be unfair on someone like pandya ( which shud suggest that i knw where he stands currently)

He has to change that perception with performance.

Absolutely but patience is also needed . Its really diff to get ready made players 

Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Everyone catches were spilled be it kohli or curran

When the ball is doing so much u need some luck

Thats why i keep refering to condition n these world class bowler- its not at all easy . 

Yes he hasnt done something outstanding and thats why we are questioning. 

To be honest in these condition even rahul isnt giving me alot of confidence n rate him damn so i cnt be unfair on someone like pandya ( which shud suggest that i knw where he stands currently)

Absolutely but patience is also needed . Its really diff to get ready made players 

Rahul has been criticized enough.

Pandya hasn't.

What patience? Maybe if the rest of the team was well sorted, we could afford Pandya. Right now, we are merely hoping he would click.

He averages 29 with the bat in first class (and this includes 35 international average which means, his domestic average is even lesser with a decent sample set). He has taken 25 wickets in 17 domestic games.

Can he develop? Sure. I am not denying it.

But it's gonna take time and this overseas cycle will be long over.

If past record is anything to go by, things look grim for this series.

10 minutes ago, sensible-indian said:

Rahul has been criticized enough.

Pandya hasn't.

Pandya is one the biggest scapegoat , look at the topics here....he has replaced dhoni in bashing here

Rahul n pandya are young players who need sto be build

A young yuvraj singh was made into mockery by murali in early years but he was backed understanding that was murali  

IF rahul n pandya arent backed how will they become better, Failure teaches u most

Imagine if dhoni dropped kohli before perth test 

What patience? Maybe if the rest of the team was well sorted, we could afford Pandya. Right now, we are merely hoping he would click.

Right now we are hoping our top order click , coz if they do half ur problems will be over

He averages 29 with the bat in first class (and this includes 35 international average which means, his domestic average is even lesser with a decent sample set). He has taken 25 wickets in 17 domestic games.

yea coz he hasnt played a lot and our tight schedule wnt allow him to play a lot more

Can he develop? Sure. I am not denying it.

But it's gonna take time and this overseas cycle will be long over.

Has he been a liabilty till now i dnt think so 

He has been ur 2nd best batsman in last 4 test overseas, so that shows problem lies somewere else

If past record is anything to go by, things look grim for this series.

With our limitations in batting i dnt even have a lot of hopes, the only hope is even england isnt that gr8 a team

Just now, sensible-indian said:

Yuvi took time to develop i know. 

But we didnt give him a free run in overseas tests waiting for him to develop. 

Its not about test or ODI, its about backing any player in any format and test is the toughest format 

team has backed dhawan n rohit for so long

team has backed rahane in subcontinent 

team has backed pujara in overseas despite being a dud 

Yes in between these guys have dropped and so wud be pandya soonner or later. Abhi its to soon he hasnt done gr8 but not badly either....if the levels dnt improve inconsistency with his selection will start .

Other factors that save him

• Being a pace bowling all rounder n no other option. Had we had a luxury of pathan right now or batsman like ganguly with his bowling in england pandya wud have been on bench
  • Jadeja batting is absolute garbage overseas
  • Bhuvi's injury 
1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

nope but its goin on n on

but jst showing off some legends backing the opinion in his favour :dance:

Please read between the lines, if anything, this article goes against Pandya. In international media, you cant go around saying this or that player is ****. He has diplomatically said that Pandya is neither good at batting or bowling and he needs to choose something or he will be history. He is saying Pandya is in the team because Kohli likes him!

But if you want to take solace in diplomatic answers, so be it :)