The logic behind dropping a player from a squad when they don't get any chances.

Global.Baba

Just checked the Asia Cup squad and do not see Krunal Pandya's name. Wasn't he selected for the England series? We hear horror stories in the past as well when a player gets picked in a squad,then gets dropped never to represent his country again.

Sure,they may or may not be part of the starting XI 9 out of 10 times, but I personally think it is unfair to drop a player from a squad when they get 0 chances.

14 minutes ago, zen said:

Selection is our achilles heel .... we take one step forward and two backwards 

It's not just about picking the right or wrong players but even if you say select the worst trundler or hack in the squad, once he is part of the squad it is unfair to drop them without even giving a single chance.

Guys like Chahar or Kaul are dropped, we might think rightfully as one might think they don't belong or one might think it is wrong to drop them without a fair chance, but the fact is they at least got a chance.

13 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

It's not just about picking the right or wrong players but even if you say select the worst trundler or hack in the squad, once he is part of the squad it is unfair to drop them without even giving a single chance.

Agree. But since the squad selection appears random, there are always consequences .... at times "quota" players are selected .... First, we have to work towards designing a method for this madness 

1 hour ago, kohli said:

Shreyas iyer was in England tour.he didn't play single match

Thanks.

@express bowling bhai, there you go.

It is happening way too often with us. I saw a similar pattern with Pant in the past where he was in the reserves and then dropped without getting too many chances, same thing happened with Samson. He was in the reserves,got a couple of games against Zim and then dropped. Pick someone,give them enough chances wherever applicable and then drop them. 

This is not a good pattern

Edited by Global.Baba
5 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

Thanks.

It is happening way too often with us. I saw a similar pattern with Pant in the past where he was in the reserves and then dropped without getting too many chances, same thing happened with Samson. He was in the reserves,got a couple of games against Zim and then dropped. Pick someone,give them enough chances wherever applicable and then drop them. 

As I mentioned in the earlier thread maniac baba that giving Iyer a chance here won’t have hurt Msk and co but they are cowards and believe in giving old washed up people more chances would have liked the likes of Iyer or Krunal play this tournament than Rayudu or Dhoni/Jhadav combo.

8 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

You raise a value point regarding Iyer.  Although he has played a few ODIs, no way is Rayudu better than him.  Iyer should have been there.

What I was pointing out was ... we often feel that a lot of players have been dropped, although in reality it is in a different format for which he was picked.  It is not always possible for us to remember which fringe player has been picked for which format, when he does not get to play an actual game.

To stop this tendency of dropping without an actual game, the original pick has to be a good one and well thought out ... which is not the case always.

A case in point is Shardul Thakur in test matches.  No way is he the 5th best test match prospect in India now among pacers.  I don't mind him getting dropped without playing an actual test.  Siraj, Saini and Rajpoot need to be tried.

13 hours ago, Global.Baba said:

Just checked the Asia Cup squad and do not see Krunal Pandya's name. Wasn't he selected for the England series? We hear horror stories in the past as well when a player gets picked in a squad,then gets dropped never to represent his country again.

Sure,they may or may not be part of the starting XI 9 out of 10 times, but I personally think it is unfair to drop a player from a squad when they get 0 chances.

Current form is also taken into account ..since that selection, Quadrangaular series between India A - India B - Aus A & Aus B also happenend .

Nothing new there ..in England 2016 tour - Haseeb Hameed was England's find of the series as an opener and even in last match , he played a fighting 60 odd innings while injured. I thought his name is firmed up as England opener for some time. Tell you what, he had a horror county season start for Lancashire and selectors had no option than to wait for him to hit form again in 2017 start of the season .That  has not come yet and he is still out of the team.